Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEW BEACH DVD comments thread

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: NEW BEACH DVD comments thread
August 19, 2012 01:44AM
just watched the video good job tom well made thanks hh
August 19, 2012 01:57AM
My wife and I just finished watching the new DVD. Wow it was worth the wait! Well done.
Thanks.
August 19, 2012 02:12AM
Paid For & On the way as soon as I read this thread.

Tom - As far as I am concerned 12 hrs. or more of this
from you would not be too much !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 02:25AM by mcgov51.
August 19, 2012 10:08AM
I agree. Your outtakes are probably better than most 'expert' advice (read my share of bad beach hunting books). Received mine yesterday, but haven't had a chance to view it yet, so will comment later. Should find it of especially interesting since our conditions are so similar to Tom's.
August 19, 2012 10:54AM
As soon as I saw this thread I ordered a copy. I can hardly wait to receive it. Having bought your Suncoast Recovery Club video and Inland metal detecting video there was no way I was going to miss out on this wealth of information. The micro jewelry hunting information, in the Suncoast Recovery video alone has paid for all the video's that I will ever buy, many times over. That information alone got me to purchase a GB II and I have been nothing but impressed by the wealth of information that you bring to the table every time you speak. There are so few good video's available on beach and water hunting that have good real world practical information in them that can be used by everyone to make them a better detectorist. You make the best . Thanks.
August 19, 2012 12:58PM
The intent is to continue to help the serious/dedicated detectorists. What I may do is........... review all 26 hours of captured video......... and extrapolate additional critical data. Then........... collectively orchistrate another DVD............ possibly with a section on wet salt beach high-powered PI hunting......... as there is a easily unforseen/unsuspecting large volume of data/education to be gained specifically from this type of hunting. And IF I feel there is enough demand for it (((and the general public can understand/utilize it))) ...... I may put out a "advanced" beach hunting video. So far........... the only way I have been able to perform this......... is ........... in-person... one-on-one training. I have yet to figure out a way of how to 'capture' this....... and put it on video.

((( Thanks for the continuing comments................... as............... it will 'dial-in' future endeavors ))).
August 19, 2012 09:48PM
I received mine yesterday and watched it last night. I thought it was very well thought out and you was able to back up what you were conveying with beach video. I've only ever been to the beach to hunt twice. The "crash course" I was given was to walk the beach parallel to the waters edge, in an "S" type pattern and pay attention to the area you dig the targets. Sort of what you are conveying, but you took it to a much more scientific level as to coin placement in the troughs, etc. I really enjoy your scientific approach to detecting and thus, being able to use your time more effectively. Thanks again for sharing your passion for metal detecting with us! Well done Tom.
Re: NEW BEACH DVD comments (and a question)
August 20, 2012 11:59PM
I'm nowhere near finished watching the entire DVD yet, but what I've seen so far is really interesting and it's teaching this old dog a few new tricks. I can't believe how fast you can scrub that beach Tom, my back would be toast using that wide and fast of a sweep for a few hours...
I have a question for you about the GB II vs. Fisher F75 LTD. How do you think they would compare in micro jewelry hunting? I don't have $$ for another toy right now, but I did notice what the GB 2 was doing for you on that volleyball court (ya sure gotta love that VCO mode for pinpointing)
While we're on that subject, there is a huge gap in the frequency range from 19-20 KHz of most current 'high freq' detectors (including ones they market as prospecting detectors) to the GB 2 at 71 KHz? It seems to me that frequency range is not utilized by anyone. In other words, for what reason did manufacturers seem to feel that 19 KHZ is sufficient for small gold on current detectors, making the GB 2 the only detector available (that I know of) with a much higher frequency at 71. Just curious.

I'll post more thoughts and observations when I've watched all the DVD a couple of times (when I'm concentrating, I can't listen that fast. Whew).
August 21, 2012 02:17AM
I really enjoyed the video. I learned a great deal from watchin it. I don't have the mental capacity to micro hunt. My ADD would kick in and I would probably cover the court in 10 minutes.

Might I suggest a few bikini dressed equipment handlers for the next video.

Tom: Watching you swing that detector was wearing me out. Holy cow what a radius!
August 21, 2012 02:36AM
Gary.......... the 'je' mode (jewelry mode) on the F75........... does not even compare to the extra gain/sensitivity of the 'bp' boost process mode of the F75. The 'bp' mode is far superior.
But.............. even with the F75 SE in boost process mode........... this does not come close to the 71-Khz Gold Bug-II. It is the GB-II that is a true 'micro-jewelry' hunter. Superior in many respects................. and , , , yes............ it is a 20 year old platform. ((( Never assume 'newer-is-better' ))).

The thought-process as to "why" 19-Khz was chosen over all other frequencies........... especially 71-Khz................ is the fact that most (but not all) prospectors would rather forfeit/forgo all of the very tiny bits of gold nuggets........... and focus on nuggets of more-measurable size. The 19-Khz range is a large compromise......... in the appeasement of the general populous.

When the 71-Khz Gold Bug-II was released.......... 'micro-jewelry' hunting was never even thought of /// did not exist ........... and was never it's design intent. But......... about 12 years ago, I discovered this 'type' of hunting.......... revolutionizing this new category........... (((that being; micro-jewelry hunting)))...... and trying to share/show other detectorists this new untapped hunting opportunity.
August 21, 2012 01:29PM
Tom, I don't hunt near water. I bought the video mostly just to support you and Wally. Got it yesterday but haven't had an opportunity to view it yet. I know it will be top notch as usual. If I learn something striking, I'll let you know.

HH
Mike
August 21, 2012 06:56PM
Thanks for the fast shipping Wally! Nice video was going to watch just a little but it was so packed with info stayed till the end.What stood out most to me was how backwards I had the good and bad targets on the slope or should I say trough(midwest flatlander here) and the micro hunting with the Goldbug was amazing! Thanks for the freshwater part of video, would love 2 see a river hunt with changing sand bars if possible? And a detecting 101 for dummies video ( i would buy) HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 07:08PM by rapidroy7.
August 21, 2012 11:23PM
Tom - thanks for the reply. I guess if I had tackled the question logically, I would have assumed that might be the answer. Just found it strange a 30 or 40 KHz was never released. I think I will start looking around for a good used GB II and keep it around for the right opportunities. My Troy X3 has been my weapon of choice in the dry sand as I have a found a couple of chains and numerous small stud earrings with it, but I've often wondered what I'm missing...
You're definitely right about the 'newer isn't always better', my Sov GT still does a fantastic job on the beach. I haven't found anything that will surpass the depth in wet pack sand, and that technology is reaching middle age at this point too.
August 22, 2012 01:44AM
Many detectors will find micro SILVER (or copper) jewelry............ but not true gold micro-jewelry.
August 22, 2012 02:35AM
First of all.... loved it, loved it, loved it. That 2 hr's seemed only like 30 minutes.

# 1 was the length of the audio due to the magnetization (before and after the coil passes the target) of ferrous and non ferrous targets (terms escape me) using all metal mode. I didn't know that. That can be used inland hunting, correct? Or do the minerals in the dirt change that?

#2 Still get a kick out of the trough finding method. That is too cool.

#3 I know you only asked for two.... but the dark dimes and quarters (greenies I think you called them) being a sign they have been there for a while. The sand may have been sheared away exposing an older layer.

I did have a thought about the ring on the string. I think the gold ring would sink faster if it didn't have the string friction pulling against it.

I also liked your simple chest mount when fresh water hunting.

Lots of great info and a excellent job of explaning...very crystal, Thanks Tom!
August 22, 2012 02:55AM
Just received my DVD today as it took longer for delivery since I am in Australia.

Job well done with the video content.

Its a good video and highly recommend it to anyone starting out beach detecting. You may need to watch it a few times because you will pick up new things compared to the first time watching it.

Finding the trough along near the waterline is what I learnt most which is absolutely important.

Tom just a question - when you were detecting along the wet sand looking for the trough were you detecting in all metal mode then switching on the discriminator?

Thanks

Joe
August 22, 2012 12:06PM
On all of my CZ's (except for one)......... the all-metal mode is not as deep as the ID mode. The CZ-3D unit in the video is the one that is deeper in all-metal mode than ID mode. But.......... there is a lot to be said about using all-metal mode on the wet salt beach. In time....... I will share.

Yes......... the audio length/duration responses in regard to ferromagnetic, diamagnetic and paramagnetic targets is fully applicable to inland hunting. Permeability and hysteresis time-curves still apply inland. BUT.......... remember.......... it is difficult to hunt (especially trashy sites) inland whilst in all-metal mode. Open areas where targets are few-and-far-inbetween........ it's a (learned) attribute.

I'm still finding it quite interesting on each individuals top 2 or 3 "take-away" items from this DVD.
August 22, 2012 01:36PM
That's my number 1. The ferromagnetic, diamagnetic and paramagnetic was new information for me. It's fun experimenting with a new ear trying to determine what's down there prior to digging.
August 23, 2012 07:35AM
OK, I just got my copy yesterday and have only watched it twice and I have other things I have to do. I have a question. Is there a way to use a probe to locate trough depth?
It seems to me that would be helpful.
Thanks again for helping me be a better detector!
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
August 23, 2012 11:06AM
Pasttom, Not sure why trough depth would be helpful, please tell me your thoughts.
August 23, 2012 02:13PM
Just came in the mail yesterday and have watched it twice.
Will watch it another 2 times today.

Initial thoughts so far:

Tom - Your unique swing using that extended shaft and the aggressive way you swing
it would wear me out in no time.

Yet . . . I have never seen a swing as perfect as that. Absolutely level and close
to the ground, every time, absolutely perfect technique. My measly 8' swing is close
to that but not quite . . . something to strive for.

Defining TROUGH'S in the moist-wet sand. Had not occurred to me . . . interesting
and very useful . . . THANKS ! SHEAR, TIDES, DELTA's . . . Good Stuff Too !

FOIL - Don't even consider trying to Disc. it out. In fact, if the trash is low and targets are few
run 0-Disc. and dig everything . . . especially in the water.

Micro Jewelry - Especially enlightening. I only wish I had a GB2 unit tuned good enough to
convincingly hit a micro-thin gold chain at 8" even with the 10.5 coil as easily as your's did.

Suggestions:

#1 Demonstrate Ground Balancing at the beach starting from turning the unit ON with all settings
at max. then achiving proper balance using different ( Fisher . . . CZ-3D, CZ-21 ) MD's with the
inherent problems and susequent solutions we all must adjust for. How do you define on the edge
of perfection and over the edge too much and the MD is cluelessly blinded by your over aggressive
settings.

If you would have used your full size shovel you could have dragged it behind you
and used that scrape mark instead.

Do you ever hunt in the Ocean Water ? Could you do a segment at least on paper about what equip.
is best to use and what info.would be useful, if one would be brave/not too bright enough to try it ?

MORE THOUGHT's TO FOLLOW . . .

Jim
August 23, 2012 06:35PM
Ozzie, since you've watched the video you know a big issue in beach strategy is determining troughs. Tom hunts the W pattern and looks back to see his dig pattern to determine if there is a line of similarity. He talks about density layers shell fragments and hardpan even bedrock as ideal coin catchers and sink stoppers (so to speak). I just wondered if (considering detector depth limits) one could look for denser layers in the sand with a probe. It just seemed like that information would be, could be of some advantage in hunting. Sometimes obvious answers get over looked. A probe could be a scoop handle or a rod carried inside a handle to keep it manageable.
Just thinkin'
PastTom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
August 23, 2012 08:32PM
It is extremely beneficial to know where the trough(s) are. Problem is..... they are mobile each tide...... are not at a exacting depth as you move down/up the slope..... or up/down the beach. There may be multiple troughs........ with each one being at a continuous fluctuating depth. I have used a bottle probe to find density layers, different troughs..... and loose sand........... with moderately reliable success. The BEST way......... is still to let the detector find it for you........... electronically............... in concert with your shovel.

The principles given (demonstrated on DVD) for water hunting in a lake are nearly identical to the tactics for salt water // ocean hunting.

There are nearly zero (trace elements) minerals on a large portion of the Eastern seaboard...... to demonstrate ground balance procedures; however, if you have the Inland Coin & Relic Hunting video....... a demonstration/explanation of Grnd Bal is given. This exact procedure is what you would also utilize on the beach........... assuming there are minerals that require Grnd Bal.

That little cub-shovel that I use on the wet slope...... cuts into the sand fairly easily. A full length (with subsequent full head) shovel requires quite a bit more energy.......... but could be done.
August 24, 2012 05:17AM
Tom: Your ad for the new beach detecting dvd isn't showing up on my computer for some reason, and I would like to order one! Can you give me a direct link or the web site where I can order it? I've got something turned off on my computer to keep popups from showing up is the only thing I can figure out why I can't see it.

Thanks...

connor
August 24, 2012 06:03AM
Hi Connor,

The link is below. Its the one on the left.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
August 24, 2012 12:25PM
Thanks Wolfau. Hope the CZ3D is finding you a ton. ...of gold and silver that is :-) I have Toms earlier DVD's and learned a lot on them.
August 30, 2012 06:57PM
Great DVD, Tom!

I just re-studied the Stratification chapter. That's my favorite chapter and the one that'll increease my gold finds for me.

A supposedly knowledgable detectorist had me turned around about the stratification. He was saying the denser items will be further out towards the water than the lighter. After reviewing your video it's very obvious that's not the case. Also very interesting point about gold staying very close to the loss area...and just going deeper.

I'm "hungry" for more and here's hoping you can put an advanced version together soon!

Regards, Joe
August 31, 2012 02:15AM
If a picture is worth a thousand words.............. wonder what a video is worth.

Yes......... I already have a fairly lengthy list of 'advanced beach hunting' topics. I just don't know if a beach detecting advanced version would ever make it to fruition............ nor if the demand it truly there. I say this because I have only given one-on-one in-person training to two individuals specifically on 'advanced' jewelry (beach) hunting.
September 01, 2012 12:01AM
Tom
Thank you for all the time spent making these videos. I can see that if a newbie saw these videos their learning curve in this hobbie could be shortened by at least 10 years as to learning this by themself.
I have never hunted the ocean beach before but I know I could find a trough if it existed because of what I have learned from you.
I have been inland hunting for 28 years and now know I only thought I new alot about this hobbie. Thanks again.
September 01, 2012 10:35AM
Tom
Just curious about the dry sand and micro jewelry sections of the video..... Did you go micro jewelry hunting on the same volleyball court directly after the the dry sand hunting section thus cleaning up the larger trash prior to using the GB? Also, if so, was it a miss for the CZ3D on the gold necklace or won't the CZ3D pick up on such a fine necklace? (as I am used to with my water detectors!)

Still watching and learning from the video!

Cliff