Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Headphones

Posted by wolfau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Headphones
August 23, 2012 07:37AM
Just wondering which headphones do you prefer.

Is there a particular head phones that work well with the CZ.

Thank You

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 10:33AM by wolfau.
Re: Best Headphones
August 23, 2012 11:01AM
I use Gray Ghost Ultimas, crisp clear sounds, volume control and a mute button. When using a sensitive unit (f-75), the mute function comes in handy. When digging/locating the target you lay down the unit and sometimes it will pick up EMI in that position. Hit the mute so you can hear your pinpointer better. I dont like to remove my headphones so I just mute the noise.
There are many exellent headphones on the market. Everyones hearing is different also.
August 23, 2012 01:13PM
The pair that work for you...Heck over the first several years tried several and although I have owned and used many expensive detectors in the last 15 years have a twin set of inexpensive Calrads that I switch now and then and always have an extra in the trunk and they still work well and haven't broken and worked on every detector I tried( quite a few) so ask 10 people and might get 10 different answers. Yep they work great on CZ's also..Just like detectors there are a lot to choose from and might bring it up at a club meeting or ask a local multi line or on line dealer and may help you in your decision. Taking into account ones personal hearing and preferences what works for the other guy may not for you so shop around and make sure you get a pair made for metal detectors as those that are made for music usually are not a good choice so Radio Shack is not your answer...
August 23, 2012 04:03PM
I've used the Grey Ghost for a couple of years, and now I have a pair of Liberty's,these are built a little better.
Over the years I have used all kinds of Radioshack and evan used the light headphones for ipods(nice when it's hot). Comes down to what your ears like.
August 23, 2012 07:21PM
Ive used several but the Sun Ray Pro Golds seem to work best on my ML. Plus they have volume control on both sides. Check the spects, i think you will find little difference in the ones you are going to pay the big bucks for. I think the best mods the detector companies have made in recent years have come in coils and headphones. Trust me..... a good pair of headphone make all the difference in the world.

Dew
August 23, 2012 08:27PM
I am on my second pair of grey ghosts and love the sounds and build quality. They have a better high tone than other headphones I've used (e.g. Chefphones CP3's and Koss).

I think something to consider is what sounds you prefer, not just the quality as most upper priced headphones will give you a good sound. For example, the before mentioned chefphones (out of the UK) have a slightly better build than the Gray Ghosts but don't hit the highs (like an E-Trac gives) nearly as well the GG's do. But, if you like hunting low conductors (like they do in the UK), you might like them better. I don't see headphones advertising low or upper tone ranges as being their specialty, so you might have to try out a pair from a friend if you can.

Albert
August 23, 2012 09:02PM
I use DetectorPro Rattlers. One sided. I like the way the sounds work with both my Etrac and AT-Prp. I have a fair amount of high range loss and they deliver highs that I can hear clearly. I like one sided because I want to hear what is around me as well as the machine. In the woods around here we have feral hogs, rattlesnakes and some other critters I want to be able to hear. In the city parks there's some other critters I also want to keep track of and the one sided keep me in touch with it all.
August 24, 2012 02:27AM
Thank you for replying. I have used the Gray Ghosts in the past. Only issue they were a tad tight.

I am looking for a pair of headphones for the cz3d that can bring out the high tone on the cz which can last a long time.

I may end up buying the Sunray Pro Gold Headphones but wil wait to see if anyone else has any feedback on the best headphones for the CZ.

Thanks Again.

Joe
August 24, 2012 04:28AM
Have been useing the killer bee wasp headphones on my cz-3d for 3yrs. and i am really satisfied with them. Mike
August 25, 2012 06:35PM
I just bought a pair of Garrett Clearsound Easy Stow Headphones for 22 bucks from an online dealer to use with my F75SE. They have a 2 year warranty. They fit my odd shaped cranium pretty good, and put out some pretty clear sounds!!!! No joking!!! 22 Bucks!!! They are NOT the kind that blocks out all ambient noise. But I feel a little claustrophobic when wearing the kind that blocks out everything. I was thoroughly surprisd at the quality fo the price I paid. Ana at the time, when funds are a bit tight, they were the 'best' for me. I'm caught back up now financially, but i think that I will continue to use these as I see no room for improvement, at least for the way I hunt. Just my opinion.
August 26, 2012 01:33AM
check out Liberty Headphones,,,, they are hand-made by a fellow hunter and are top notch IMHO,,,,, leather pads, the heaviest cord I've ever seen ANYWHERE and he has a jack on both ends for easy replacement if you ever damage the cord,,,, 200 ohm (I think) /very sensitive and made for MD not music,,,,,
August 26, 2012 08:25PM
I'm using a "cheap" pair for $20 I bought from Walmart that are Studio Style Sony headphones. About half the size of the typical big detector headphones so very light, comfortable, and don't make my ears sweat. They have the best audio I've ever heard in heaphones on any detector, but am using them on my Sovereign GT. Really seem to bring out the audio traits of targets well. Only problem is no volume control on them so I keep the volume on my GT all the way down so surface stuff doesn't blast me. I seem to be able to hear the deepest of targets fine but Minelab says the volume on your Sovereign should be all the way and then adjusted on your headphones for comfort to insure you hear the deepest stuff. I guess they know what they are saying but I seem to hear even the first/smallest reaction of super deep targets just fine. Many on the Sovereign prefer the Sun Ray Pro Golds. Not only do they have individual volume adjustments for each ear, but they also have a limiter so you can blast them and it will kill down the volume on super shallow or big stuff without hurting your ears. Guys say they can hear the limiter make a slight click when it kicks in so you know it's something loud like shallow or a huge target, so that won't screw up your depth guessing on stuff. One day I'll get the Sun Rays just in case the Minelab volume thing for insuring hearing stuff at max depth is true.

The Sonys are model # V-150. Some guys were even putting the speakers from these things into an aftermarket pair of muffs (better suited to drown out ocean noise) to replace their Excalibur headphones for much better audio. There is an upgraded model called the MDR-V500DJ that has minor improvements such as a coiled cord.
September 10, 2012 04:59PM
I feel compelled, before anyone buys any of the $21 Garrett headphones that I posted in this thread about, to let you know that mine have developed a short in them. They do NOT hold up to the rigors of laying your detector down on the ground while you dig, and STILL wearing the headphones. You will have to remove the headphones and lay them beside your detector before you dig. I always like keeping mine on my head. I am not picking on Garrett...as their 21 dollar headphones are what they are: 21 dollar headphones. And I still like Garrett's products just fine. This post is simply and amendment to my previous post. Info gained by regular detecting and then shared here for the benefit of my detecting forum friends. kevin
September 10, 2012 08:56PM
RAT MSA headphones for me. When I go to the beach with the Sovereign I need a quality headphone that maintains a tight fit. RAT headphones are no longer made, but I keep my eyes open. I also love the fact you can change out the cord. I believe the new Liberty headphones are like this.
September 11, 2012 12:06AM
I ended up purchasing a pair of Koss qz-99 headphones.

Absolute bargain at $39. Total price was about $80 including UPS shipping to Aus.

They have features i needed which included:

1. Stereo or Mono switch.
2. 1 Volume control that clicks in position.
3. Large sounds are controlled so your ear drums don't get pounded by large shallow targets.
4. Your ears sit inside the ear muff rather than the ear muff sitting against your ears pushing your ears towards your head.

They work really well with the cz3d.

Yes they are a tad bulky but I prefer to have my ears sit inside the ear muff for comfort.

Beats paying $175 AU for something similiar in oz.

Joe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 12:09AM by wolfau.
RAT Phones
September 11, 2012 04:20AM
High quality...well made...interchangeable cords. Get em if you can find em.
September 11, 2012 05:33AM
Joe - There are a lot of different opinions because we all have different hearing abilities, different head and ear shapes and sizes and, for a lot of us, varying types and amounts of hearing loss.

I have a pair of the Koss QZ-99s too and they have a nice sound and a very nice price. The downside is like you said, they are bulky. Also kind of awkward to use with that extra length of straight wire and stereo/mono switch between the curled section of cord and the phones. The other thing is since they were designed for indoors music listening, I'm not too sure how they'll hold up to the rigors of detecting. There are a couple spots that seem suspect to me as far as durability. Personally, I'm not impressed with them from a comfort standpoint either. But what the heck, you can buy three pairs of these for less than one pair of some of the high-end phones.

With your CZ-3D, I liked my classic black Ratphones the best. I have a pair of blue MSA Rats too. They sound great but I don't like the tighter fit as well. With any detector I've used I like the Rats sound quality best. Besides the Rats. I tried Sunray Pro Gold, Gray Ghost, and the aforementioned QZ-99 phones with your CZ. I've also used Jimmy Sierra maxiphones and Jim Pugh's Airricanes with other detectors in the past.

Problem is, my black Rats keep breaking and I keep supergluing. Four breaks in three different spots. Each time they break I get a month or two before the next break.

I wish Rick Viola would make another run so I could put this pair out of its misery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 05:49AM by marcomo.
September 11, 2012 05:54PM
I like the Killer B's camo dual volume model...

Besides feeling comfortable the stereo mono switch is lockable so it does not get flipped...I like that.

Keith