Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Test Garden

Posted by Hoochie Papa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Test Garden
September 07, 2012 10:36PM
If a test garden was set up like NASA Tom's... with a dime at a depth that your detector could barely pickup......Sooner or later due to the sink rate of the dime it would be out of

reach of your detector. I would probably think my detector was getting weak and start looking for a new one. Of course in that many years for the dime to sink out of reach...

...there will be a new super/duper coin chompping detector to purchase anyway.
Re: Test Garden
September 08, 2012 12:00AM
Interesting prospective.
September 08, 2012 12:30AM
Hoochie Papa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a test garden was set up like NASA Tom's...
> with a dime at a depth that your detector could
> barely pickup......Sooner or later due to the sink
> rate of the dime it would be out of
>
> reach of your detector. I would probably think my
> detector was getting weak and start looking for a
> new one. Of course in that many years for the
> dime to sink out of reach...
>
> ...there will be a new super/duper coin chompping
> detector to purchase anyway.

Ha ha yeah, I've got a line of coins buried in my test garden just beyond what my current "arsenal" will hit.-----When I come across a detector that will hit them in fine fashion, I'm buying it!----Of course I may never catch up to those coins with their sink rate.-----Ain't this hobby interestin!!
September 08, 2012 12:31AM
Just place the dime on a flat rock befor you cover it. It should stay there for a few years. Good Luck Flintstone
September 08, 2012 01:13AM
Then again if you're in an area where you get ground freeze, the coin could actually move up.
September 08, 2012 01:42AM
DirtAngler. That is an interesting point also. In order to perform acurate test/expeirments...... variables need to be controlled or at least these variables need to be known.
September 08, 2012 01:16PM
Absolutely correct. My test-garden (here in boggy-soggy sandbar tropical Florida) has a sink-rate of 1-inch per 4-1/2 years. Yes....... it's that bad.
((( I have reported this before...... on this forum.... but...... worth repeating )))....... this has caused me to re-engineer the test-garden to convert a 'variable' to a 'constant'. My coins are now glued to the bottom of (small diameter) 'exacting length' wooden dowels. Sink-rate issue resolved!
September 08, 2012 01:31PM
My coins are buried in hard packed Southern red clay. I'm guessing my sink rate is two orders of magnitude less than Tom's... something near 0.01" per 4.5 years!