Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Xterra 705 opinions???

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Xterra 705 opinions???
September 12, 2012 06:07PM
Are these detectors good in mineralised ground?? Unmasking??? I have HEARD (for what that's worth) that their recovery speed is slow compared to the F75's and the other faster units. With a slower swing speed, could this be a non-issue??? I almost bought one of these one time. Came real close. I ended up getting the E-trac. Thanks for any opinions from folks who have used them.
Re: Minelab Xterra 705 opinions???
September 12, 2012 07:15PM
Nice machine coils are pricey...
The Gold pack is the way to go...

The 5x10 DD coil is in my opinion more suited for trash hunting in iron than the stock coil....

The 7.5 kHz 10.5 coil is very deep in open area's...

Watch some of the negative 2's and 4's in bad dirt...good target's have a tendancy to end up there if they are deep...

No tone break adjustability that would take care fo the -2/-4 being iron grunt's...Nice machine...light weight built well ...big coil is very heavy after awhile...A straight mid rod from a Whites will fit in the upper pole and help on the weight when using the bigger coil...

Not an overly fast unit.. but it blends quite well...

Hot rocks can be a problem with the 705 till you learn what they sound like...Some mineralized area's like rock out cropping's in red dirt are hard to hunt from fasling issue's..

Nice machine like all other's, will produce once learned...Will get coins quite easily in iron when running 2 tone's ...Dont watch I.D. in dense iron...

An AT-PRO I.D.s the best in iron I have ever seen.. If I.D. is important thats a thought..

there's no magic stick's.

Keith
September 15, 2012 12:45AM
Talking to my local dealer, the guys with the xterra 705s ,10.5 coils, are pulling civil war bullets 15" deep, the CTX's are getting bullets at 11" deep with the 13 x 17 coil. Huh??
September 15, 2012 12:55AM
The Xterra 705 is a very capable machine and is probably the most under-rated sleeper detector out there. Not the fastest but good enough, not the deepest but good enough. It is pretty deep with the 10.5" DD coils although as stated, they unbalance the machine and add weight. It is a very solid, stable machine. The only negative is the coil selection and coil price because of the patent of having the chip in the coil. JMHO.
September 15, 2012 10:40AM
The 705 is a lightweight machine and is a good performer. Not the fastest in heavy trash but does well with a DD coil on it. The numbering system reads the same with whatever freq. coil you use on it which can be a plus. Has a large read out for the numbers which is also a benefit for us um, older guys with bad eyes smiling smiley Its a nice choice for an all around coin and relic detector.

Larry from www.nwimetaldetectors.com
September 15, 2012 02:00PM
If anyone is interesting, Randy (Digger at Finds) wrote an ebook on the X-Terra 705. You can download it from Minelab but have to register: [www.minelab.com]

I am actually interested in getting one with the 10.5" DD coil, hope the balance is still good with it. I hear they they get very good depth. From what I have seen, it is a bit comparable to the Omega 8000 (which I really liked) but not as fast. The X-Terra can be set up in multi-tone, sounds like an E-Trac and I loved those sounds.

Any idea on the depth in somewhat iron mineralized ground?

Albert