Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I hate to sound stupid but I need some help.

Posted by lakillian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I hate to sound stupid but I need some help.
May 14, 2009 03:54PM
I got my F75 yesterday. I took it out today and Ran it in DE, sens 70, Disc 65 and 3H tone.

I threw down a quarter, dime, nickle and penny. Got a load strong tone on all but the nickle and I notice the nickle was notched out so ok.

I then tried detecting inside the ground and the detector was low tone beeping all over. It would read 71 then 73 then 65 then 81 then 72. This is while I was sweeping. So I stopped at one point and pinpointed and it said 13 inches. But does that mean there is something there for me to dig? Even though the VDI didn't stay in a 72-75 range? Or is there something everywhere in my ground? Help!

Thank you so much!

Lori
Re: I hate to sound stupid but I need some help.
May 14, 2009 04:31PM
First thing for me to ask is:

Did you ground balance first?
If not that's probably the main problem.

Did you check to see if the target was small or wide?

If it's wide and says 13" it's most likely nothing of interest, of course it could be a buried cache!!!!!!.
If the target is small and repeats well and the machine thinks it's 13" deep go by the sound first and look at the VDI only as a second opinion.
May 14, 2009 06:21PM
I took a video of my detecting. I am going to take another one of me walking around sweeping to see if I am doing things right and if I am walking over targets I should be digging lol.

Maybe my yard just doesn't have anything in it.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
May 14, 2009 07:40PM
Sounds like some kind of interference to me. Hold the coil about 2 feet off the ground and see if you get any pops, static etc. If you do you are getting interference. Try turning down the sensitivity and sweep the coil over the same areas.
Jeb
May 15, 2009 12:48AM
lakillian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got my F75 yesterday. I took it out today and
> Ran it in DE, sens 70, Disc 65 and 3H tone.
>
> I threw down a quarter, dime, nickle and penny.
> Got a load strong tone on all but the nickle and I
> notice the nickle was notched out so ok.
>
> I then tried detecting inside the ground and the
> detector was low tone beeping all over. It would
> read 71 then 73 then 65 then 81 then 72. This is
> while I was sweeping. So I stopped at one point
> and pinpointed and it said 13 inches. But does
> that mean there is something there for me to dig?
> Even though the VDI didn't stay in a 72-75 range?
> Or is there something everywhere in my ground?
> Help!
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Lori

Fast Grab First ,as per Manual instructions, Try settings >>.....DE Mode ,Sens 70,Discrimination 6. & 3 tone , settings
65 Discrim ,is a very very High discrim and could cause you to miss lots of Targets you would get with a lower Discrim. .
May 15, 2009 02:30AM
Thank you all for the tips! It is so great to have people that are willing to help!

Hugs!
May 15, 2009 02:34AM
Well Disc is way to high less you are cherry picking for dimes and higher. Did you fast grab first? If you are in an area with a lot of interference the F75 can get twitchy. I would just move to a whole new area maybe a park and see if you can get it to calm down. If you have a lot of iron and trash where you are hunting the F75 will just keep freaking out but I would try one tone and maybe a sens of 62 and a disc of about 6-7. The F75 is not an easy detector to understand if it is your first it may be too hard for you to ajust to the speed and how much it sees in the ground.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 15, 2009 05:24AM
I tried Disc 10, Sens 60, dE, 3H and notched out iron and it quited down quite a bit smiling smiley

I have been detecting for 3 years but I still don't understand all the mechanisms of any detector. But I want to learn with a good machine and good teachers! smiling smiley
May 15, 2009 05:56AM
Until you learn your machine, you shouldn't pay much attention to those one-way signals. When you find a good, repeatable signal, turn your coil 90 degrees. If it disappears, it's likely junk. Also, when you fast grab you need to make sure the ground is clear of metal. You might want to try sens 80, disc 6, 2F tones and DE mode. Do a factory reset to make sure you haven't changed the notch setting.
May 15, 2009 11:22AM
This site is a good one to learn about the F75.
May 15, 2009 02:45PM
I don't notch out anything just use a disc of say 6 or less

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 15, 2009 07:57PM
Lori,

From watching your video, I'd say there wasn't anything of substance remaining in that hole. The F75 will require a bit of a learning curve and you will have an easier time if you start out with fewer tones, less discrimination, moderate sensitivity (<80) and stay away from JE mode. There are a lot of good folks here who can help out. - Jim
May 16, 2009 12:49AM
Here's my 2 cents worth, start out moderate until you are comfortable with the detector. A sensitivity setting of 60-65 will get you surprisingly deep. Start with a disc of 10 and no notch. Pin-point over the ground where you intend to ground balance the machine to make sure there is no trash present, then do a fast-grab. As for number of tones... I started with 3H tones but I don't see the big difference in that setting for beginners... I now use 4 tones - your choice. Dig the two highest tones (4 tones). Remember to keep it fun!

Good luck!

Rob
May 16, 2009 05:16AM
I thank you all so very much! I have gone to Disc 10, Sens 60, dE mode Iron notched out and 3H tone. I actually found a little cross like thing and a necklace that is incased in something like gold foil. Then I went to a country store down the road. They have a campsite behind their store told me I could detect. I found 2 dimes and 2 pennies and a thing that has CANADA on it. I will post pictures sometime LOL.

Thanks again!!!