Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GMTvs Gold Bug 2

Posted by hunter18 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GMTvs Gold Bug 2
September 21, 2012 08:48PM
I know how good the GB2 is on micro- jewelry
can the Whites GMT Come close to the performance of the GB2
Re: GMTvs Gold Bug 2
September 22, 2012 12:26AM
On micro-jewelry............. no, not even close.
September 22, 2012 12:47AM
Thanks Tom That is all i wanted to know
September 22, 2012 10:54AM
If you ever have the time and resources....... you may want to perform a head-to-head yourself...... first-hand.
September 22, 2012 03:45PM
Hi Tom,

I have to question your assertion that the GMT is not even close to the Gold Bug 2 on micro jewelry. What evidence are you basing this on? I have used both machines extensively and for gold weighing less than 1 grain the Gold Bug 2 gets the nods by a hair. In other words for extreme nugget detecting I prefer the Gold Bug 2, but only by the slimmest of margins.

Micro jewelry by your definition are what I consider to be relatively large targets. The GMT is every bit as good as the Gold Bug 2 on targets as large as a single jewelry post. The machine after all is another Dave Johnson product. There are certainly differences in the way the detectors discriminate ferrous targets that one might use as a preference on way or the other but that is another issue. In terms of absolute performance on sub-grain gold both detectors are extremely close. In highly mineralized ground the GMT clearly outperforms the Gold Bug 2 on gram plus gold so on dry black sand beach areas there is every reason to suspect the GMT would outperform the Gold Bug 2 on larger gold jewelry items. This I would have to verify but it is certainly true in off beach situations with gold nuggets in mineralized ground.

Before you say gold nuggets are not micro jewelry that is true. But I assure you small gold nuggets and gold micro jewelry do indeed respond in a similar fashion, the only real difference being the shape of the objects. If there is any bias it is that the gold nuggets are harder to detect. Yes, I do hunt micro jewelry, being an avid fan of your publications and observations.

This information is based on extensive head to head testing I have performed on both units in the years since they have been on the market. I am not knocking the Gold Bug 2, as it found me several hundred small gold nuggets this summer. But I could not let you comment of "not even close" go by without comment as frankly I do not think that is a fair comparison of the two machines capabilities.

Steve Herschbach

Prospecting Since 1972 at DetectorProspector.com

Steve's Mining Journal - - Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting "How To" Guides - - Equipment Information & Reviews - - Public Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Sites - - Gold Mining Claims For Sale or Lease - - Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 02:57PM by Steve Herschbach.
September 23, 2012 03:13PM
Hi Steve,

My basis for comparison is formulated upon a few differing 'micro-jewelry' implements for which I perform head-to-head comparison testing on 'gold specific' units. The most pronounced being a 10Kt white gold single post earring. At the time of testing, I had a pair of GMT's from different owners. Both GMT's performed nearly identical; allowing me to draw the conclusion that these specific units would represent the 'norm' of performance for the GMT platform.
Jewelry items differ quite a bit from actual gold nuggets. It is in the 'alloy' of jewelry....... especially 10Kt white gold........ that presents substantially lower conductivity resultant; subsequently affecting detection performance from various brands/operating-freq units.
The Gold Bug-2 (vs GMT) generated a large delta/differential detection performance resultant with these low conductor micro-jewelry items; hence, my reported findings.
September 23, 2012 06:01PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. My assessment of the GMT is that it is extremely close to the Gold Bug 2 in performance on micro jewelry. It and the earlier Goldmasters are the only detectors I would use as an alternative to my Gold Bug 2.

Steve Herschbach
September 24, 2012 12:27AM
I was.a little shocked too see you say this too Tom.
September 24, 2012 01:04AM
Maybe it would help in my reportings by stating the following:

On actual gold nuggets (NOT alloy jewelry items) of approx 1/2-gram (or greater)....... the GMT and the Gold Bug-2 are fairly similar in detection range.
September 24, 2012 03:07AM
Not all gold jewelry is 10k white gold. I have 3 small gold nuggets and 3 small pcs. of gold of the same wt. one 10k one 14k and one 18k buried in my garden, I will bet anyone that they can not tell me which is nuggets and which is K gold,
September 24, 2012 10:42AM
Correct, not all gold jewelry is 10Kt white gold (and was never my implied intent); however, 10Kt white gold presents the greatest delta/differential for easiest head-to-head delineation.
September 24, 2012 08:44PM
Well, Tom, you stated your basis for your conclusions, which are sound.

While some may disagree with you, so far no one has offered the results of a counter test that proves anything to the contrary.

Sounds that you the only person who has actually tested these detectors side-by-side.

Thanks for the information.
September 24, 2012 09:24PM
Excuse me. I wrote "This information is based on extensive head to head testing I have performed on both units in the years since they have been on the market." However, I am not out to try and convince anyone of anything so take it or leave it for what it is worth. You can't go wrong with a Gold Bug 2.

Steve Herschbach

Prospecting Since 1972 at DetectorProspector.com

Steve's Mining Journal - - Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting "How To" Guides - - Equipment Information & Reviews - - Public Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Sites - - Gold Mining Claims For Sale or Lease - - Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 02:59PM by Steve Herschbach.
September 24, 2012 10:22PM
No worries Steve. I misread your quote.
September 24, 2012 10:49PM
In my years of using of the GB2 and GMT, I have to agree with Steve, The GB 2 has a small edge on super small ( smaller than any micro jewelry) sub grain gold, otherwise I in low mineral soil there is little or no difference.
September 25, 2012 06:03AM
Tom
You also did a review on the GMP, and said that it was micro jewellery capable. How did it do on the 10kt white gold, and how does it stack up against the GB2 and GMT?

Thanks
September 25, 2012 09:29AM
The XP GMP is approx 20% shy of the performance levels of the GB-2 on (specifically) the 10Kt white gold earring post. This may sound like a fairly large difference, but, considering the GMP's operating freq (and a few other factors)....... this is tremendous merit...... all things accounted for.
September 25, 2012 10:42PM
so a per Tom's test he has stated specifically on 10K white gold it the GB 2 is the clear winner,,,,,, but does this mean the GB2 is better for ALL micro jewlery ( made of other compounds ) or was the biggest differnce in performance just on 10k WG ?
September 26, 2012 12:50PM
The gap (difference) narrows slightly when yellow micro-gold is tested; yet, the Gold Bug-2 is still the top choice. Also..... the smaller the jewelry item...... the greater the performance lead with the Gold Bug-2.
October 05, 2012 02:04PM
thanks Tom,,,,,