Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ3D and High Mineralised Soils

Posted by wolfau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ3D and High Mineralised Soils
October 01, 2012 02:26AM
Just a question. How does the CZ3D perform in mild Mineralised Soils and Hot Mineralised soils.

I don't plan in taking it to the Gold field diggings but I do plan detetcing around small towns just of the Goldfields which i would think is not as highly mineralised as the Goldfields themselves.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Re: Fisher CZ3D and High Mineralised Soils
October 01, 2012 07:21AM
Hi Joe :-)

Some people in the east tennessee area say that our soil is fairly heavy in mineralization, but my area here seems to be fairly average. I couldn't really say for sure because I don't know how to tell the difference! I know the CZ3D didn't have much problem finding things deep here. The immediate area I usually find myself hunting in has rich loam from years of decaying matter (I guess). The area is at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. One of the guys here from Tennessee lives about 120 miles from me in the Knoxville area, and he say his soil is terribly mineralized, and in the Spruce Pine area of NC, which is about 30+ miles from here is suppose to be mineralized.

I use to have an F5 that had an FeO meter on it (I think that's what it was called), which would give an indication of how mineralized the soil was. I rarely remember it going above 1 bar, and most of the time it showed none. I think it may have had 4 or 5 bars total.

Don't know if that helps you any. Before the CZ, I had an older Fisher 1210 or something like that. It was a simple one tone w/linear disc and it did well for years here. I'd like to go somewhere that has highly mineralized soil to see what it detects like so I would know what some of the guys here are having to put up with.

...and then again, maybe not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 07:47AM by connortn.
October 01, 2012 11:29AM
In my neck of the woods mineralization is around medium and have no problems. Perhaps someone in your neck of the woods can chime in.Accurate ground balance using the bobbing method is essential to excellent depth and stable unit and might visit a local dealer or local club for more info. I do know CZ's handle wet salt sand well but one guesses that is another aspect. We have no substansial gold nuggets only glacier minute gold but if I lived in gold nugget contry would buy myself a good gold nugget machine if you plan on going that route...
November 29, 2012 07:27PM
This is a great question. I bought a CZ-3D from NasaTom that had been calibrated by him and could air test a dime at 12.5 inches. My last two detectors have indicated low iron content. My F5. when pumping the coil over a clean area shows two bars. The Ground Phase is 48. This seems to indicate low mineralization. And yest, when I was testing my CZ-3D in my test garden, I was little under-awed. But please bear in mind that my testing techniques are rookie-ish at best. I think that I might have messed up by selling that machine. I could have had a real coin getter. I do remember digging alot of pull tabs in the hi tone range. But I really didn't give that unit a good test in some potential old coin sites.