Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Weight and balance on my new AT Pro

Posted by groundscanner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Weight and balance on my new AT Pro
October 07, 2012 12:25PM
I just received my new AT Pro and it seems heavier and more awkward to swing than my F70 with the DD coil. According to the specifications for the AT Pro it should only weight 0.103 lbs. heavier than my F70. So either the specs for the F70 is showing it heavier or the AT Pro specs are showing it too light.

I hunt up to 8 hours at a time and weight and balance is critical to me at my size and age of 56. Has anyone any advice on adjusting the unit to make this machine swing better so I can get a full day in with it?

Thanks.

Michael
Re: Weight and balance on my new AT Pro
October 07, 2012 01:05PM
Many found to improve ergonomics the area from the control box and armrest had to be longer and Garrett sells this addendum so You might want to give Garrett a call.
Never owned one but from research and reading seems to be a problem for some of the hunters and imagine you are not the only one to have this problem.
Weight is one thing but ergonomics is another so call Garretts toll free number as they have super service after the sale...
October 07, 2012 01:15PM
Plugger makes a straight shaft fo the AT Pro. That is one option. I never used it so I really don't know about the balance of it. I would ask Plugger himself.

It is not the weight of the AT Pro it is the balance. The larger coil is much harder to swing than the 5 x 8 coil. So the AT Pro is front or coil heavy. One of the things I did to my AT Pro was get rid of the foam handle. I slid a bicycle handle bar grip up the shaft and glued it in place. I thought that added more hand control and saved the wrist. But I have to say that over all the AT Pro has poor balance. As an Excalibur user I realize that weight needs to be added to the rear of the shaft to help lift the coil. I mention on this forum from time to time that Garrett should have an extension cable so hip or chest mounting could be an alternative.

8 hrs is a long time to hunt for any age.
October 07, 2012 01:37PM
The 5 x 8 coil is a pleasure to swing over the larger stock coil on the AT Pro. Fisher has the very best balance and feel of any machines on the market today.
October 07, 2012 02:54PM
Thanks guys for the help. I going out in a few for the first real test run. I may have to go to the smaller coil if I have too much trouble swing the larger one.
October 07, 2012 03:41PM
I have a seriously messed up shoulder and made the switch to the 5x8 coil when they very first came out. It's better balanced and the coil is much better overall for the kind of hunting I do anyways. I've also been using a Swingy Thingy for the last year and can't imagine hunting without it.
October 07, 2012 06:18PM
Who said it, I think it was Bill Cosby "Getting old ain't for sissies"
October 08, 2012 12:42AM
I went for my first full hunt to day and really didn't have any problem with the weight (thank goodness). I still thinking about the smaller coil for my real trashy sites.
October 09, 2012 05:57PM
The smaller coil will be a MUST HAVE for any AT Pro owner, in my opinion, and in the opinion of others AT Pro users/owners who frequent this board. And you truly don't lose much in the way of depth, plus, with the smaller 5x8 DD coil, you will find a DRASTIC improvement in swing-ability. I bought the package with both coils because they both are a must. The big coil for battle sites and woods, etc etc, and the smaller coil for separation ability in iron infested sites. These are my observations. I hope that they can prove helpful. I'm about to take my AT Pro to a new (old) home where some friends live. The homesite is WELL over 100 years old. I will carry both coils, starting with the large coil and determining the soil trashiness. If I have time, I will re-scan with small coil. The small coil is like having a second machine!! Please look up some Keith Southern's threads on the AT Pro. He really does much better at relating good info. But I figgered that I'd try to holp ya a little. And Happy Hunting!!!!
October 12, 2012 12:02AM
I am seriously thinking about the smaller coil. Many of my sites are nail gardens. I was able to pull out a 1905 Barber dime in nearly mint condition (New Orleans mint) out of a really nasty spot (also a trouser button, and a 3 ringer .58 cal). You would still read the liberty on the headband of the dime. We later went to a new site and I pulled out a nickel, 2 eagle buttons, a .58 cal . and one large flower button. Not bad for the first time out.