Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F5 vs Omega vs F70 vs Xterra series

Posted by blacktoe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F5 vs Omega vs F70 vs Xterra series
May 25, 2009 08:27PM
I am looking at around $700 and under detectors and these seem like good ones. I am mainly a coinshooter with relic interest.

I have been seeing some real good reports on the Omega and F5 with the Omega seeming to be a little hotter. Hoping for some kind of package deal when the new coils come out.

I also have seen a good deal on the F70 that comes with the stock coil and 11" dd, also Fisher pinpointer and a digger for $749. I would sell the pinpointer as I have a Garrett propointer.

Are the Exterras as good at ID and depth as the Fisher or Tek? I see very little complaints on the Exterra line.

Is the F70 as prone to emi as the F75? I wish I could afford the F75 but will be stretching to get a less expensive one.

On the F5 or Omega I won't buy one till the new coils are available. I remember reading about the T2 coil hassle.

I have a F4 and while it is a good shallow coinshooter I want something deeper and with better ID. I feel like I am missing a lot of targets with it.

I am hoping to be able to get a new one in the next couple of months.
I live in southeast Ga. in red clay country.

thank you,

blacktoe
Re: F5 vs Omega vs F70 vs Xterra series
May 26, 2009 12:42AM
Painful as this is to say........ because you are in red clay GA,,,, I would recommend a "like new" (used Minelab) Explorer XS, II, SE. If it's a form of mild red clay..... I'd recommend the F70,, as it'll give the best overall depth, best adjacent target separation and best iron handling capabilities ... with the elliptical DD coil...... vs. the F5/Omega/XTerra.
May 26, 2009 11:06AM
... or a clean, used F75 at ~ $600 ???
May 26, 2009 10:25PM
Thanks for the answers. It looks like it will be an F70. I want to buy new for the warranty. Might just keep saving longer and try for a F75. The same dealer has a F75 special that comes with 3 coils (stock DD, F70 coil, and 6" coil), F-point and greyghost headphones for $1179 I believe

The Minelabs besides don't excite me due to weight and I keep hearing about "it's all about the tones". I am hard of hearing and rather small.

The F70 deal I mentioned seems like a good deal as it comes with the DD too.

If you read this Tom, I am about 60 miles west of Savannah if you know the state. I think it would be considered milder clay. It is more orange than red. My F4 always ground balances at 6 o'clock position if that helps you.

I think my F4 is getting sick. Lately I seem to have no depth and on an airtest on a quarter only about 6 inches disc or autotune. Maybe an inch more on a silver $.50. Funny thing is it gets about 10 inches on my 10k wedding band. I am going to change to the concentric and see if my DD is going bad.

Thanks again,

blacktoe
May 27, 2009 12:31AM
Yes, try a different coil. And it that fails......... by all means, have it repaired. It is MUCH cheaper. Save the money for a new F75...... since I now know (approx) the area you live in..... and the soil has SOME minerals.... but still fairly mild. Because of this, I would (now) recommend the F75 over the Explorer. ALSO, , , I believe that you will only need the stock 11" DD coil for the F75..... and could easily do without the other coils. This should help you ascertain a F75 (financially) a bit quicker.
Agree
May 27, 2009 12:51AM
Since getting my F75 my finds have increased at an unbelievable rate. I've found more old coins and gold rings in the two months I've had mine than all of last year combined with my Tejon.
May 27, 2009 01:47AM
Thanks Mark.

Looks like I need to do some sweet talking to the wife. She thinks I am crazy as it is. She has not ever tried or have any desire to metal detect and thinks any metal detector will do. I have been at it for 2 years now and have 2 detectors already. An Ace 250 and the F4. I keep the sniper on the ace for close to metal poles and fences. She doesn't understand the thrill of finding hidden things and why I will spend hours for a handfull of change. I tell her someday I will bring her home a gold ring. As it is right now she said in a couple of years at the rate I am going I will have paid for what I got. Wait till tell her I want a $1K detector lol.

I live off I-16 about 60 miles to Savannah one way and Macon about 110 miles the other. About 30 miles from Statesboro where Georgia Southern is. 6 miles south of a small town called Metter. So far around here I haven't saw anyone else detect. One guy told me he used to. Hope to meet another detectorist sometime to hunt with.

blacktoe