Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ6a work on CZ21 straight shaft?

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ6a work on CZ21 straight shaft?
October 17, 2012 11:52PM
Looking to pick up either a CZ6a or Sovereign GT for beach use and wondered if the CZ6a would work on a straight CZ21 shaft? I may have asked this waaayy back but don't remember the replys. I've heard someone makes a straight shaft for the CZ line also, but don't remember who.

If it won't work "out of the box", maybe someone here will post a photo of the underside of a CZ21 and the shaft mount area so I can see what I would be up against. I remember the CZ3D would slide onto it's shaft, just don't know how the 21 fits.
Re: CZ6a work on CZ21 straight shaft?
October 18, 2012 02:51AM
The CZ5, 6a and 3D mount/bracket is different than the CZ21.....the width is smaller as well as how it is designed to slide onto the shaft. Out of the box, a straight shaft designed to have a CZ20/21 slide onto it will not work for at CZ5,6a or 3D.

I mounted my 6a on a straight shaft, but I had to find another CZ6a rod assembly, cut the rod on either side of the mount, and then attached the mount to a straight shaft by drilling holes and using nuts and bolts. Hope the picture helps.

October 18, 2012 11:44AM
What is the advantage of the straight shaft? I've read countless posts regarding this, but do not understand the plusses/minuses.
Thanks,

Pete
October 18, 2012 12:30PM
Basically with control box under the armcup it would equate to better balance and ergonomics but don't feel wouldn't be much difference in weight if mounted upside down or vice versa and you would have to hunt by sound as you couldn't see the meter.

Hope I am allowed to use this modded version which is the best I have ever seen but would require extra parts and expertise to mod....
[www.findmall.com]
October 18, 2012 01:07PM
DanPa, I don't get how that mod works with 2 control boxes. Why have two? If one is just for ballance, it still adds weight.
October 18, 2012 01:38PM
Ozzie not my mod have to ask the fellow that modded it just showing as best I have ever seen....Seems to me the top is just the meter mounted in some sort of pod and only one control box...Nice mod in my book but compared to say an Explorer a CZ is easy to hande and not touching mine as if it worked for 20 years or so why fix what ain't broke.
PS: don't see much of a weight difference but ergonomics and weighting sure are improved....
October 18, 2012 08:05PM
The major advantage is the ergonomics. I cannot use my CZ's in the normal configuration when beach hunting....my arm fatigues in that config. Using the straight shaft with the control box mounted the way I have it, I can swing all day long without any fatigue. Most if not all of my beach excursions are 6-8 hour hunts so I need as much balance as I can. Been using it this way for a long time now and will not go back. Tried hip mounting...don't like it.

Now, if it's a quick 1-2 hour hunt in the park, I use the CZ3D in the normal config with the Sunray probe. But I can't hunt much longer in that config without arm strain and getting fatigued. Some can....I can't.

Plus, when beach hunting, I hunt by tone ID so I do not need to see the meter.
October 19, 2012 12:48AM
Rover, your mod looks like a good job there. I can see what you mean when you said you cut off a section of the original shaft and mounted it to your straight shaft.

What I had envisioned is making a new bottom plate for the CZ3D box that would mount to the top of the CZ21 grip handle as the CZ21 box does. I have a milling machine and thought about using a 1/8" piece of aluminum or so and fabricate the part. I wondered if the CZ21 shaft would be the one to use or purchase an anderson or one similar. I do a lot of modding in my work so I don't think it would be too difficult unless I'm not seeing something.

What are members take on anderson and other shafts? Alum vs carbon fiber and such?

If this works out I will be doing several other mods to the detector such as an internal wireless headphone transmitter which I have modded to work off of the CZ's 9v. batteries, internal led "night light", 50% volumn drop on iron targets and such.
October 19, 2012 01:19AM
Connortn....if you are talking about the stock CZ21 shaft, remember that the CZ21 control box fits on top of the shaft on the handle, so it is not under the arm cuff and hence not balanced nearly as well as if it was.

I also have a CZ20 that I mounted on a straight shaft ( Anderson that I had for another unit), and used a piece of aluminum cut out to the size of the bracket so that the CZ20 can slide onto it. Since the Anderson shaft I have was for a Whites Beach Hunter ID, and had the ability to attach the control box in several spots, one of the spots was high up past the elbow. The CZ20 mounted at the highest spot makes the entire assembly balanced really nice ( that CZ20 control box is a lot heavier than my CZ6a).

Needless to say, I am a big fan of straight shafts and the control box mounted in a spot where the balance is perfect when I am beach hunting.

I have an Anderson, 2 Plugger shafts, and the shaft I use in the picture is an old Babbs shaft for and Excal, all of them aluminum and I like all of them. Which ever one you pick, it will be a good shaft.

I know Anderson makes one for the CZ20/21 that has the mounting assembly on it already (at least I think they do) so that's 1/2 the battle if you are going to fashion a bracket/mount for the CZ6a to fit on. At least you won't have to mess with the shaft and drill any holes.