Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites MXT questions and a general metal detector question

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whites MXT questions and a general metal detector question
October 20, 2012 03:27AM
I am looking at brands I have never bought. Any Whites users out there??? About all I'll be able to afford if an MXT. Are they depth mosters in semi mineralised ground?
Detectors I've owned:
Fisher F75SE (2)
Teknetics G2 (2)
Garrett AT Pro (3)
Teknetics T2SE (1)
Fisher CZ-3D (1)
XP Deus (1)
Garrett ACE 250 (1)
Teknetics Omega 8000 (1)
Minelab Etrac (1)
I'm not really interested in single tone machines as most of my sites will need some discrimination. BUT.....I can do without the visual numerical display....and hunt by sound only. For 1000 bux or less (preferably less) what unit is there out there that i haven't tried yet and is capable in trashy areas. Of course, it goes without saying....the more depth the better. If Fisher is really coming out with a new unit (for trash areas I hope) I guess I could try to wait them out. Or.....maybe someone could suggest a brand or a detector that I have never owned that meets my criteria. No digital display. Multi toned. I need to be able to ground balance it (no auto ground balance).
Re: Whites MXT questions and a general metal detector question
October 20, 2012 03:42AM
It's the main machine for several of the best hunters around here...and.the soil in gold country is highly mineralized.
October 20, 2012 04:03AM
MXT is probably Whites best offering to date....

Its not the deepest it's not the fastest in iron but it works well..

Your AT is going to get a little better depth maybe?...and a little better unmasking surely....

MXT is heavier than most but balances well...

It does offer a true all metal mode....

You have it seems tried all the top brands from your list...

Theres no single magic stick to get target's ...They all offer good point's and mediocore point's...theres really no bad machines once you get into the top brands like you are using...

Not sure what to tell you Kevin...

You should set down an analyze what 80% of your hunting is...then figure out the areas, like modern trash or deep wood's targets your after. coil availability...E.M.I subjectivity Etc...

Theres nothing wrong with an MXT it's one of my favorites...If it's all you have it's a true all rounder in every sense and built to last...Great american made product... If you are expecting it to be the answer to unlocking a site it slike all the other's...it will take months to become comfortable with it enough to unlock it' full potential...

Detectors are just tools....

But to really get the most out of a site you need to have an true understanding of target behavior in certain dirt on certain machines ..And have an understanding on what a site really looks like under the soil...the area you cant see with your eyes ...have an understanding of what certain dirts plus iron mixed in a jambalaya actually do to a good target.....

It's more fruitful to learn all aspects of Detecting scenarios than it is to have the best detector..If that makes sense...

I dont want to discourage you into not having what you want...

But if you have a AT it is very similar to an MXT even freq wise..

I would keep an AT-PRO and pick up an machine like a Musketeer on 5kHz...they can be had for like 200.00 buck's. There deeeeeeep on a completely different freq and use it as part of an arsenal...or even a white's.5900 it's on 6.59 and a true manual mode machine in every aspect...300.00 wil get one..

Offset your freq's to really see what a machine does to a site freq wise.....A bandido 2 umax is an great 10Khz machine....200.00 Buck's...

Tejon 18kHz.. 350.00 Buck's...

I think you see what I mean for 1000.00 bucks you can get 3 or more machines and have a arsenal and answer alot of question's ...

But learn them for all they are worth...You can answer alot of questions on the fly if you have a few machines to work with.. and a clearer picture can be painted..

I ran a machine for a decade one time and never even used another machine.. its was fully manual and I had the time of my life digging ...But I knew everything I could figure out on that machine..and to this day it will still hunt a site very very very well....

MXT are nice though Kevin, get the MXT-PRO it's worth the little extra because of the simple ground grab feature on the faceplate...trust me on that..LOL!!

Dont believe the ad's in the magazine's they are there to sell detector's....
October 20, 2012 08:48AM
Kevin. STOP!

TRASH = Learn your Deus........... and learn it well !!! (Keep it on 18-Khz).

DEPTH = Learn your F75SE OR E-Trac well !!!
October 20, 2012 09:00AM
Kevin............................... also:

Use your $1000.00 and go buy a .22 Kimber rifle and a case of .22 LR CCI 'Quiet' ammo.

No substitutes.

Done!
October 20, 2012 10:19AM
A Kimber 82? Sweeeeeet.
October 20, 2012 12:57PM
Reel him in guys.

Oh, Why the rifle?
Edit- never mind the question, I see he's into shooting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2012 01:09PM by ozzie.
October 20, 2012 01:30PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reel him in guys.
>
> Oh, Why the rifle?
> Edit- never mind the question, I see he's into
> shooting.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! That provided me with a good laugh at myself this morning!!!!! REEL HIM IN!!!!! It's not the first time I've heard that, especially when I am about to do something stupid! LOL
Anyway...NasaTom..... I should have communicated better. The units I listed are ones that I have ownED. Past tense. Now I am an AT Pro man. I have the two DD coils. Keith kinda hit it well. Guess I'm looking for that magic stick. The magic that I felt when I slightly figured out the Deus (how to turn it on...lol) and hit some sites that had quit producing with other machines but began producing again with the Deus. Just looking for another toy to tinker with.
Shooting??? Everyday. The Daystate Air rifles (and FX, and Weihrauch) that I use cost more than that Kimber. People aske me: You paid 1200 bux for a BB gun???? These rifles have Lothar Walther match grade barrels, and ar finely made, down to the tiger striped Walnut stock. They'll push a 22 cal pellet at close to the speed of a 22 short but the noise is such that I can use it in my yard and not have to go out in the woods. Adult airguns. I am as addicted to those as with this metal detecting thing. The kind I use are Precharged pnematic. You fill them 3000 or 3200 psi (your car tires hold 32 psi or thereabouts) and get about 30 to 90 shots from one fill, depending on which make you have. The rifle I sold yesterday would shoot sub-moa at 100 yards with JSB Exact pellets (18.1 grain). Asking the orginal poster to forgive me fo hijacking this thread with my talk.
October 20, 2012 01:50PM
Haven't used an MXT in a while and never used the pro but to get good depth out of a MXT you have to use the relic mode where two tones alert you to the good and and bad and its awful noisy as you hear all just in a different tone to dig or not.. Certainly can't compare to the depth of the aforementioned units but many do well with this unit and Whites does provide excellent service after the sale...
October 20, 2012 01:56PM
And Keith, that's a good idea.,.....about several units to analyze and learn and you named some good ones. I am seriously considering minelab Xterra 705. I think you did a video of one.
Guys, this is just what I enjoy doing. I am stuck here at the house taking care of my mother, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I promised to keep her out of a nursing home. She has late stage Alzheimer's (cannot talk coherently, cannot swallow, has a stomach feed tube (P.E.G.). incontinent, toatally bedfast, doesn't know me, emotions range from anger to crying to laughing in minutes, etc etc) It's a high stress job. I was an A&D counselor at a Drug and Alcohol Rehab for two years before having to take a leave from that job (best, most rewarding job I have ever had) to come home and tend to momma 24 /7. If this sounds like an outcry for sympathy, well it isn't. But maybe it will give some insight into why my toys mean so much to me. And why these forums mean so much to me. I don't/can't get out and socialize. I'm a single male who would like to spen alot of quality time with a member of the opposite sex. Metal detectors, airgins, bow hunting....all of these will have to do for an indtermonate amount of time. I will NEVER admit momma into a nursing home. That's a done deal. It will never happen. I will continue bringing the necessary personel for her care here. We have a hospital bed with a hi dollar air mattress (supposed to be good for not causing bed sores). A lady comes three times a week, 6 hrs each time. That is when I get to get out and hunt, fish, do whatever. Have some fun. There is an UP side. I have no bills. And I make a weekly amount (less than minimum wage at 40 hrs a week although 40 hours a week is laughable, I am up at all hours with momma). But I can save (and spend) every dime of it. And I do. Having something new coming on the UPS truck means alot to me because its a bright spot in a very (burned out) existence. The burned out feelings come and go, and I must resist them with everything within, because I am duty-bound to carry out my word to momma that she would NEVER go to a nursing home. I have done it all, seen it all, as far as Alzheimer's goes. The combative behavior. Cursing me while i am trying to clean her up. All of it. So if I seem a little (or alot) MENTAL at times....or stressed out.....or irrational......now you know the reason. And that is why I took the time to post this stuff. Just so you'd know, for those who care. I went back through and read some of my post and realize that I, a 49 yr old man, sound like a kid. An unrestrained kid with no rationale. Here's why. (Or at least I hope that the above mentioned is why, or else I;m just slightly menatlly defective) All of this was said with a mild and understanding, slightly pleading (for understanding) voice. I don't wann come across as preachy or like my voice is raised. I actually feel great this morning. But slightly embarrassed at much of my posting. Having said that....I'll say this: I am going to reserch more on the Minelab 705 today. I like them little flutely tones. Or perhaps put up a WTB for an XP Gold Max Power. I can't afford, or spend that much, on another deus. The GMP (18 khz) would fit my criteria perfect. No VDI display. But I'll keep that AT Pro as the standard GO TO detector. Sorry about the long post. There was no way to shorten it. And I sincerely appreciate all of you. Forgive me for sounding so freaking irrational at times. It's almost as if I take up unecessary space on here....a site that should be technical in nature....and here I have made it more personal. Happy Hunting to you guys and gals today, and I mean every word of it.
October 20, 2012 04:32PM
Kevin,

No. No......... My bad. These were PREVIOUS detectors. Got it. And........... with that being the case......... learn the AT-Pro..... and learn it well. Do acquire both coils...... if you do not already have both.

I still want you to try CCI .22 LR "Quiet"....... in a good bolt rifle. Also measure accuracy. This is not a request/suggestion on a whim.
(((Redefines: No pre-charge..... no CO2))).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 01:54AM by NASA-Tom.
October 20, 2012 05:25PM
Hey Kevin Hate to hear about your Mother...I Know it's Tuff when parents are in bad Health believe Me I know...

Detecting is already a pursuit that send's the mind racing thinking of unfound treasure's..And we can get some romantic ideas about it...Especilly when we see what such and such found with model X...But to be truthfull 90% of the target's one machines finds another one will to...

It takes special machines to get the other 10% like super deep or severely masked...but then it's a slow tedious process to get that bit even with the right tool...

Any high end machine will suit you well...Keep it for a general purpose ..Like your AT...then seek out machines to help you unlock a site after the all arounder quit's producing...

Rememebr the right machine for the Hunt you are on...Some great machines dont cost alot of money...Xterra is also a great machine that you have mentioned...and has the Freq swap option...

The xterra gives me greater respect for the platform after using the DEUS with freq option's....The DEUS is an awesome detector but I can tell it's centered on one freq and electronically manipulated to get the other freq's...I think the DEUS is designed around 12kHz but set up on the GMP blue print...

The Terra I thought was a sales trick to get you to buy coils at first but now I see it really is aligned better with coil swap Vs manipulation...

You mentioned the GMP at a later date...great machine and for iron hunting it will be a small,tiny, tad bit better than the DEUS when used on same Freq...

Good luck with your Mom...I will pray for Her and you..

Keith
October 20, 2012 05:48PM
I highly recommend a MXT for all around use. I have had a boatload of detectors over the yrs, and three MXT's, always went back to the MXT as we get along very well. Get yourself a 5.3 eclipse coil, stay with that for coin/jewelry in general, I personally use a 5" excelerator dd for tot lots, and some other types of hunting. AS for depth, the MXT does well in that dept. Even with the 5.3 eclipse. I don't have any larger coils presently but been contemplating a 10x12 SEF or a 13" Ultimate. I don't care for the 950 or the 6x9dd. Just personal preferences after much testing. I find that most park hunting these days requires a small coil for seperation of targets. The MXT is hot on gold jewelry hunting also once you get to know it well and where to look in general to find it.
October 20, 2012 07:35PM
Thanks for the awesome replies. I am gonna go detecting in a while, if momma is settled. Right now, I am cleaning the bolt on a friend's Remington 700ML. It is FILLED with crud. But gunsmithing was ALWAYS my love as kid when I read author's like Dave Petzal, Jim Carmichael, etc, in the old 1960's and 70's Outdoor Life and Field and Stream. Daddy, being the overly-cautious physician/ father that he was, would never let me buy a shot shell or rifle reloader. I would reload shotgun shells without one. Yes, the crimping was the hardest part. But I used hot wax once I got the shell manually crimped. It's a thousand wonders I didn't blow myself or someone else up!!! LOL
Thanks for the MXT feedback, MXT SNIPER. And I will someday get to try that Kimber, Tom. Maybe soon. If I don't opt for a Minelab Xterra.
And Keith, thanks for your kind words as well. It would be awesome if someday, you could hunt some of my sites with me. You would be more than welcome, and I bet a dollar to a donut that you could go behind me a find some stuff!!! And it would be an awesome learning tool if you did. And it would be an honor and a pleasure. I can tell from your accent (in your video's) that you can't live TOO far away from me. I sound about the same. Definitely blow the Mason and Dixon line accent. But I may be wrong. I am heading over to youtube and check out some 705 Xterra Vids. That gets my wallet pulling hand limbered up. lol