Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Want to wrap my coins,,,, do I wipe them off and with what befor I do ???

Posted by wurthless 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Want to wrap my coins,,,, do I wipe them off and with what befor I do ???
October 20, 2012 04:01PM
nothing very valuable but they are my silverm buffs, and coppers that I want to display in coin wraps,,,,,, question is should I wipe them down first and what should I use ???? thanks all,,,,,, Mike
Re: Want to wrap my coins,,,, do I wipe them off and with what befor I do ???
October 20, 2012 08:33PM
Ive always used a bit of mineral oil on my fingers on the coppers. It has nothing that damages the metal and makes them look more natural. Especially anything you have cleaned.... they tend to have a dull, dry, or orange tent.

Dew
October 21, 2012 12:10AM
wurthless... I purchased one of the clear coin holders that you use to display one of each type of US coin in and use it while cleaning my non-valuable coins. You just seperate the two halves and using one of the halves, drop the coin in question in the correct slot, add a drop of dish detergent on it, a wet tooth brush and go to town. It's much easier than trying to hold on to a coin with your fingers and clean it. Rinse the coin in hot water afterwards. The hot water rinses the suds and soil off and heats the coin so that it drys quickly. I rarely put anything on my coins afterwards, but I've saw coins that looked like they grew fingerprints on them after sealing from inapproperate handling. Try to hold the coin by it's rim instead of the front and back of it. Some even wear white soft cotton gloves when handling coins to keep your skin oil from contaminating the coins surface. I might do that if I had a valuable coin, but haven't found one yet. This is for silver coins. Not sure about putting something on a copper coin but I know what dewcon4414 means when he says that some copper coins have a dull look to them as is. I have been known to rub a bit a nose oil on inexpensive coppers to brighten them up :-) ...that would be oil from the outside of my nose, not the inside :-)
October 21, 2012 01:10AM
...display in 'coin wraps,,,,,"

???

What are 'coin wraps'?

Later I'll share a sad story on how I degraded a rare silver dime I pulled out of the ground due to poor handling in my haste to see what I had.
October 21, 2012 04:08AM
you know,,, the cardboard squares that have a clear plastick center that you "wrap" you coin in and staple for dispay,,,, coin wrap is my name for them,,, not sure what others call them lol
October 21, 2012 04:30AM
They are generally referred to as "2x2's".
October 22, 2012 06:10AM
ahhh,,, thanks,,, 2x2 coin wraps hahahaha