Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

An amateurish profile of an iron laden CW campsite

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
An amateurish profile of an iron laden CW campsite
October 21, 2012 03:27PM
Yesterday, when sweeping this site for the seeminly hundredth time with every detector that has ever been in my arsenal, none of which I took the time to grow to know intimately, but this time with an AT Pro with 5x8 DD coil, I finally located and dug a little iron buckle (the common little leather strap harness type buckles that had a thousand uses in that era). I was running between two modes. One mode, Pro Mode, sens at 32, ground balance at 74 (negative by 6 points). And the second mode is like it, except with sens at 34 and Iron Audio on. In the second mode, one sweep across the ground will give one long continual low tone indicating the MANY square nails in this site.
I dug many plugs yesterday. Some as shollow as 4 inches, some as deep as my Predator shovel's blade. There were square nails, and pieces of rust, and pieces of old red brick throughout all depth range. There is only a 10 yard by 10 yard part of this site that has ever had CW campsitye relics pulled from it. And they were enough to fill up a large plaque. This site is NOW a candidate for a shovel, a string to keep things square, and a rare earth magnet. I covered every inch yesterday, of the producing portion of this site. I dug a double handful of square nail heads (they have mostly rusted in two). They would audibly report as a mid tone and read in the 40's when in Mode 2 (sens at 34 / iron Audio on). If I had kept the Deus longer, (it found me two more buttons and a cuff link here), and used it when the ground was wet, or the moon was full, or the many variables that cause us to find a target where we KNOW we have searched before.
But this type of site doesn't comprise all my sites. Many are just old homes built in 1901 give or take a few years. And yesterday, a woman whose land I have hunted (and found the drooped wing Staff Officer button w/ AT Pro) called me and asked me to make a small presentation of the stuff I have found in town. She is a member of the Daughters of Confederate Veterans. There are 5 women in this organization, one of which lives on land that borders, or is close to shiloh. The south of it. Her land was supposedly crossed by retreating Southern troops. She is going to give me permission, and free reign of her land (farm land, woodland). Wow!!!! Now's the time I need a detector with an all metal mode. Minelab 705? We'll know this next week.
Anyway...no questions here. Just a statement. But there are times when I wish someone like NasaTom or Keith S. or many other of you guys and gals who have been doing this a while and have learned your machines, could have a chance to hunt this site in town that has produced so well. (two Tranter revolver bullets...one in each caliber). And more. I feel that my inexperience is doing SOME of the masking!!! Happy Hunting to all!
Re: An amateurish profile of an iron laden CW campsite
October 21, 2012 04:07PM
Crap! I missed my orginal thought. Even without the multitude of nails in this site, the relics have been from 4 inches, to 8 inches (or..as deep as my machines can reach) I feel strongly, that if the good doctor (a Vet) would let me slowly and methodically remove the to 5 inch layer of this site....say, a square yard at a time, I could likely fill another plaque with some awesome CW relics. If I see that he is about to tear down the old 1940's home that is built on the yard and possibly seek to expand the Vet clinic that is next door, I will be QUICK to ask him if I can do some lite excavating. I will have ordered a rare earth magnet by then. I wish that they made a magnet so strong that it would suck nails out of the ground from a foot! Wouldn't that be awesome. Just be rid of EVERY ferrous item. Even ferrous dirt would stick to my hypothetical magnet!!! What about those kind that they use at junkl yards to pick up cars and pickups. And man could use a rototiller and till the site down as deep as possible (he would just have to take a chance of messing up a relic) and then lower that huge magnet down and slowly work it over the gound. Wow. That's what dreams are made of!!!!!
October 22, 2012 12:27PM
You would be shocked to know (in percentage numbers) how many non-ferrous items are masked in areas like these. Pit digging in concert with a rare earth magnet can do wonders.
October 22, 2012 05:07PM
Okay Tom.....call me crazy or call me anything....but i just ordered a brand new Deus!!! I sold another P.C.P. airrifle and the cash went into my bank account this morning. Since I owned my lastone, I have accumulated a few good sites that are trashy. Wish me luck. And too....this looks like I am going to sign up for another hour long phone consulation. I'll paypal the money when the unit arrives. I want to LEARN THIS UNIT before I go selling it again. Thanks for your reply, by the way. Actually, Im kind of excited that I will get a second try with the Deus.
October 23, 2012 03:40AM
The alignment of 'mindset' 'education' and 'attitude' will nearly guarantee success with this (proper) tool (((Deus))) for the type of sites you intend to search.
October 23, 2012 03:37PM
The DEUS is truly a amazing machine to use in iron.
I took it to a old homesite I've been hitting for the past 3yrs and I went over other spots I've hit with all my other flagships and was pulling non-fe targets left and right amongst the nails. I could not believe all the .22 shorts I missed, with big rusty nails right in the same hole some even on top. I managed to score a really nice Navy button, circa. WW II,( I think).

LEARN THAT DEUS...it will reward you!
October 23, 2012 07:53PM
I will Aaron. And if y'all see, on this forum or another, where I am trying to sell it, I welcome a strong reprimand (coming from one detectorists to the other). Actually, by Christmas, I am going to try for myself, that bigger coil!!!! I wish that they made for it, a smaller coil (5x8) would be perfect, for the Deus. I wish that Alain (I think that is his name) would come over to America for a couple of years and detect in Tennessee (yes, I'm being selfish). I would put him up in my spare bedroom. I would learn to love L'escargos and croissants (I'm stereo-typing). I would foot his bill. I would even buy him an engineer's drawing table and some construction paper. In fact,....He could have free reign of my basement to conduct top secret (for His and mine eyes only) experiments. I would take him to my iron laden site that has quit producing. And all of my other sites. I would say: Please Alain....an American-specific Version 3 for our Deus!!! A man can dream can't he?
But yes, Aaron, I am going to apply myself much more to learning this Deus than I ever have before. Ya know..something has dawned on me again: I have NEVER given all those detectors that I have owned a chance to be learned by me. I just find everything that they will find when set up simplistically, and then sell it and buy another. How wrong I've been. So if y'all see me trying to sell my next Deus...you are welcome to post in the ad that I am NOT TO BE TRUSTED!!!! Kevin will take your money!!!! (now, maybe someone will do a search on my name and find this and say: UH OH!!!! Better not deal with him!!!. LOL (Told ya I wasn't all there) But I DO love to detect and I DO love to learn from the masters (people who have been doing this for 15 plus years). And I tell ya guys, I have just GOT to say this because it is the truth: Until you have had an hour long (30 minutes is NOT enough) consulation with NasaTom, you just DON'T know what you are missing. I can't wait unti our next one. But I want to get my Deus first (UPS says that it will be here this Thursday).
October 23, 2012 08:36PM
Forget about the large DEUS for now unless you have some big plowed fields, and $600. you dont have anything better to do with. I have it, it works great however the 9" coil obviously works better in trashy iron. I went over a small trashy iron area with the big coil, found alot of stuff I missed with other machines, then used the small coil and was finding the tiny .22 shorts and WWI Navy button right under the iron. The DEUS mat not be as deep as the 75SE, but it still is powerful, and that 9" coil will surprise you at how deep it punches on the tiny stuff.

Just like any other machine, learn it with the stock coil first!