Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

scrapping your scrap

Posted by rapidroy7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
scrapping your scrap
October 25, 2012 04:18AM
I know not everyone saves and then sells the scrap they just throw away.I break mine down copper, brass, aluminum,iron then drive it 20 miles 2 a recycle center.Figure in your time sorting through it and gas money not much profit? Other than my saved clad its my only return so far . Would like to know if there"s any scrapper"s in here?hh Wanna rassle?

i
Re: scrapping your scrap
October 25, 2012 10:35AM
I scrap, but not the metal I get detecting. Just the copper and alum I won't throw away from remodeling jobs. I think the last time (weeks ago) I scrapped, copper was at $3 a pound.
There are a couple scrap yards close by, so it's worth it. The last haul I had was the rusted back of my old utility bed with some copper and alum mixed in. They seperate everything then weigh it, pay in cash.
It's good to do.

Once we were re-siding a flip house and removed the old aluminum siding. I took it too the scrap yard an got a few hundred dollars for it. I got back to the job and split it with my small crew. One new guy, very grumpy fellow, said in all his years in the business, no boss has ever done that. He was on the verge of tears and wouldn't stop thanking me throughout the day. After that his attitude changed and he was pleasant and funny the rest of the job, go figure.
October 25, 2012 12:21PM
The lead fishing weights add up poundage pretty fast. I get more of them then other worthwhile scrap.
October 25, 2012 02:07PM
Not really into scrapping but I do know when my aluminum awning enclosure was downed by a storm half a dozen people stopped to tell me they would take it down and haul away for free. Certainly wasn;t going to happen as part of the new deck deal was they get the scrap.
From a hobby standpoint when out in the field use the junk side of your pouch for the junk that is either dug or found along the way.
Serves two purposes it won't be around the next time you hunt and lets the powers to be ( park rangers, maintenance men, police etc. know you are helping the enviroment and surroundings while detecting.
October 25, 2012 02:08PM
thanks guys nice story nothing like a unexpected bonus for an attitude adjustment & think i would like workin with you Ozzie, I forgot about lead sailorman its paying well also scrappers are buying old used batteries.hh
October 26, 2012 02:34AM
yep,I scrap. Bought a Glock with it not long ago. Getting ready to buy another gun,next load. Free money,love it.