Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-6 Eating Batteries

Posted by Ed-CZ 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-6 Eating Batteries
June 04, 2009 01:48AM
I have an older CZ-6. I haven't used it for a few years. Yesterday, I took it out. Loaded it with two NiMH 9v batteries and after 30 minutes, the batteries were too weak to work in the detector. I recharged them and tonight they lasted only 1 hour. The detector seems to be not ID'ing as well as my CZ70 and the depth seems a bit low. For instance, I have a dime burried at 5 inches. The CZ70 gives a high tone and ID's properly. I can lif the coil above the ground a good 5 inches and it still detects it and ID's it properly. The CZ6 detects it but as a mid tone. I lift the coil and it quits detecting it at 3 inches.

The batteries work fine in my CZ70. Any ideas?

Thanks
Re: CZ-6 Eating Batteries
June 04, 2009 10:46AM
Hmmmmmm. FIRST: Try swapping coils...... to isolate the problem to the CZ-6a control box. This will have nothing to do with battery consumption......... but see if the depth & ID issue resolves.
June 06, 2009 08:02PM
Tom, turns out one of the batteries was quirky. I charged them and measured their voltages and one was only showing 7.5 volts. I bought another pair and the battery issue seems to be resolved. The defective battery did not bother my CZ70 or Coinstrike for whatever reason.

The ID is still weird. I have been using the CZ6 in ID mode, rejecting nothing, to listen to the tones. The dime still mid tones. The CZ70 high tones, but id's as a zinc penny. I deliberately buried the dime adjacent to iron a while back. The CZ70 has problems with it at certain angles. The CZ6 just has problems with it altogether.

Unfortunately, I don't have the CZ6a so I am going to make an adapter so that I can try the CZ70 coils on the CZ6.

Thanks; Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 10:04PM by Ed-CZ.
June 07, 2009 12:26PM
Is there any target that can make the CZ-6 report a high-tone? Are you close to a detecting club............ or know of anyone that also owns a CZ-6,,,,,,, so you can swap coils for a quick test?
June 10, 2009 06:56PM
Tom, I can get it to high tone in air. It almost seems as though it's transmit power is too low. I am going to clean out a spot and bury dimes at specific depth increments and compare the results between my CZ6 and CZ70.

Unfortunately, the detector club that I know of only has one member with a fisher CZ6a, not the CZ6. I am going to convert the jacks and plugs on the CZ6. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but now I have a reason ;-)

I am going to air couple a pickup coil at a specific distance from the CZ6's coil and measure it's relative transmit power and compare it to my CZ70's. I am also going to measure the transmit frequencies and see if they have drifted. I really wish that a calibration procedure was available from Fisher.

Ed
June 10, 2009 08:56PM
You say 'high-tone in air'. With what target(s)?
June 13, 2009 09:33PM
Tom, it will high tone and ID correctly when doing an air test on the clad dime. When I get some time, I will do a better test. Ed
June 14, 2009 10:23AM
With a buried dime (4" - 7 " deep) that is not close to any other metal object...... will it ID properly?