Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Critterhunter, and 6000 PRO Di

Posted by Flintstone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Critterhunter, and 6000 PRO Di
November 01, 2012 11:19PM
Hi Critter, I seen on one of your post, what you would chang on your detector, and you said the lag time on the 6000 Pro from Whites. I just got a like new 6000, and today was the 2nd time i have used it. I was in trash so much that i could not move the coil that it did not hit trash. I turned the discrimination all the way to max. and not a sound was made till i hit a dime or quarter was hit, and it still got dimes down to 7" deep. I was getting 1965 and 67 dimes and quarters but no silver. The 6000 even out did my MXT, I put it back in the car and used the 6000. Do you still have your 6000? I think i have a keeper. Flintstone
Re: Critterhunter, and 6000 PRO Di
November 02, 2012 01:05AM
Black box? 6000 Di Pro SL?
I am not critter but if you haven't used one of these old 4 filters, along with that awesome meter, you are in for a treat.
They are a 'cruising" type detector, quiet with enough disc to knock out nails or just about anything else you care to.
You can tell target size with practice on deeper items.
One of my favorite detectors of all time and it is deep on higher conductors but it always needs a more brisk sweep speed for best depth.
Has all-metal no-motion and all-metal motion and the meter ID works in that mode.
A lot to like about it ....probably (other than some of the older Fishers)...the all-time classic.
November 02, 2012 01:18AM
Hi Steve, I just seen critterhunter talk about it, glad you posted. This is the first one i have had. Didn,t know anything about it till i got this one. I have run it 2 times and so for i like it. I have just use the preset on it. Can you tell me anything about how you set yours up? I can,t belive the deepth it gets with max. discrimination, i got dimes at almost 7" with it maxed out. I though you had to work it slow not fast, that is one thing that i didn,t like. I was just moveing slow. So you say to move it kinda fast? Any help will please me, I have the manual but it is kind of hard to unstand for me. I will read it again tonight. Thanks Dean
November 02, 2012 01:31AM
Yeah, if you have some stuff buried in your yard, compare fast and slow swing over them, that should help.
I think they call it signal balance, which is sort of a sensitivity adjustment, crank it up till it is unstable then back down till it is quiet.
I could run my signal balance at about 3 oclock but sometimes had to back it down a little.
Yes you definitely need a faster swing than what is used on some tectors.

To be fair, the 6000 DI Pro SL along with the 5900 and XL-Pro are all classics.
November 02, 2012 02:25AM
The 6000's are awesome detector's...

They are true detectors in every sense...

I think they were the Apex of solid Analog design...

I like the 5900 with manual ground bal... a little better for mineral's because the 6000 is slow to respond to the ground changes ....

the beauty of the 5900/6000 is the 4 filter circuitry....iron falsing is almost non existant ...actually it I.D.s even big iron perfectly...

it does suffer from masking somewhat but it's not as great as you might think ...especially if you opt for the 600 coil..

I dug a nice indian head cent 1864 civil war vintage a few months back in a nail hole that all the modern machines had missed?????Go figure....

It has one of the most accurate I.D. systems ever developed....it's dead on for the most part....it loves deep coins especially isolated one's...

The all metal mode still I.D.'s and it's is VERY VERY VERY deep..

The man who designed the Nautilus Jerry Tyndell has made the statement if He did not have his nautilus he would run a 5900....

Enjoy the Apex of analog...the parts are not made anymore....

Never to be repeated again...Sad in way's..

Keith
November 02, 2012 02:48AM
Thanks Steve and Keith, I have a Eagle 11 sl that i though was Whites top of the line, but now it has contender. Thanks for any help. Dean
November 02, 2012 02:51AM
6000 Di Pro, my first detector, bought in August 1986. My cousin has it still, I should get it back from him and take for a spin. The only thing I didn't like was the ergonomics, but yes the i.d. was the best I've ever seen. It could tell the difference between zinc and copper, pulltab/nickel no prob. Depth indicator was great too.
November 02, 2012 06:41PM
I'm not knocking the 6000 Pro XL. Owned two over the years. Best analog detector I ever used, and in fact I'd put it as my #4 (but close to 3) all around best detector I've ever used over the years. To me it was a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Had it had tone alerts and perhaps a digital meter it would have been a 9. And had it had more depth or at least a few 12" or so DD coils to push it deeper in my mineralized sites, it would have been a perfect 10 IMO.

My two biggest complaints were hunting trash. With no tone alerts I had to constantly watch the meter, as I'm not one to turn discrimination and like to hear even the iron, and I didn't care for the lag time of an analog meter. A digital meter would have been a huge improvement, with the same ability to split hairs on clad versus silver dimes/quarters, nickels and tabs, etc. Wouldn't have had to be a digital machine. Just had a digital meter on it. I wonder if that's possible? If the meter is just an analog volt meter that reads the output target conductivity after it's been processed by the detector, that might be one outstanding mod for it. There are tone mods for at least some versions of the Pro XL I think, depending on board configuration if I remember right. That combined with a digital meter would have made it much better in heavy trash IMO, combined with a DD coil for improved left/right separation at all depths.

In my soil, it and the QXT Pro seemed to be the deepest of Whites for me. About 7.5" on a silver dime, although the QXT when set up properly seemed to have just a hair bit more depth IMO.

Either way, the 6000 Pro XL is one stellar machine. Good reason why now that they've been discontinued they are hard to find, and when you do find one used if it's in good shape it goes for a premium price. I'm expecting the GT and SE to also follow the same route- Hard to find and when you do expect to pay big bucks for one used so long as it's not beat to death.

PS- The auto ground tracking on the 6000, while I'm not a fan of auto ground tracking, was the best I ever used. It was better than the auto tracking on the QXT. I rarely use Auto tracking as it can track out deep targets, but when I did use it I found the 6000 was the best at it. That said, I prefered setting and locking the ground balance on both it and the QXT. That is one perk to the 5900. It has a manual balance knob so you can more easily fine tune the ground balance. Still possible to do on the 6000 but it takes more effort.
November 02, 2012 06:59PM
Used the 6000 Di Pro back in 1985 for several years. Liked it well enough - until the needle began sticking and the unit started acted up in the heat. A bulky box and heavy but who knew any better back then? Didn't know until today that it is considered by some to be a top contender. As I remember it there was no information to be found on detector settings, the manual was sparse, you just did whatever you thought was best and had at it.

Sold it for about $250 - obviously my ignorance was someone else's gain.
November 02, 2012 09:39PM
Thanks All,
November 02, 2012 10:15PM
Yes Johnny the older blue box ones would act up after years of service...the boards would expand and shrink with heat and cold..that's why the went to the CB version...

CB meaning Composite board...it took care of that....the older ones in hot weather would expand and crack solder joint's and such only to return to normal when cooled off...

I will never forget a buddy of mine having the blue box 6000 a few years back.....We got permission to hunt a yard in Atlanta....He stepped out of the truck and was trying to ground bal. the 6000 , but it would not....He moved over a couple of feet an balanced it right up, then checked the spot where He was trying to balance and got a nice high meter reading...Well it turned out to be a C.S. Oval buckle...Very nice!!!!it was only 3 inches deep in the untouched yard!!

I trully enjoy a 5900....But also I might add a Modded Classic 3 or even a IDX pro is very deep machine on coin's...

I had classic 3 I modded with trasnmit boost and coil boost and ground bal and thresh control's added and I dug a indian head penny in a road bed every bit of 15 inches...There was a guy watching me dig it and He said there aint no way thats a target...finally got to it and the dirt started getting green then there it was....

A hot modded classic 3 will aslo dig Bullet's as deep as any machine I have ever had...13-14-15 inches is not uncommon for that machine...

Keith
November 02, 2012 11:06PM
I had a XL Pro for several years. It was/is a great machine. Hunting in disc mode tho, with the 9.5 coil, it was slow reaction in a littered spot. But it loved the silver. It only had one tone but I knew when it hit a silver coin. Found my first Indian with that machine. In SAT all metal and the 5.3 coil, it did pretty well in a nasty spot, only thing, you have to constantly watch that meter. And when that meter locked on, it didnt lie very much.
You have you a good machine, hope you enjoy it.
Lotsa luck with your Pro,
John