Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ground Balance question

Posted by Silver master 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ground Balance question
November 04, 2012 03:49PM
Why aren't the newer machines running as smooth as old manual analog?
I have a old fisher and garrett master hunter 7 ADS that run really smooth and really speak out on deep silver.
Do we loose something with more filters or digital electrics?
Just wondering what everyone thinks about analog v/s digital
Re: Ground Balance question
November 04, 2012 04:43PM
While I believe most machines will find most targets, better machines find the ones that are just out of reach of weaker units. Not rocket science. Better hunters will find more all things equal and often when they are not. BUT I wonder if the noise about smooth vs noisy is sometimes just the F75 and the like seeing more small individual targets and recognizing them letting us decide what is of interest? EMI type noise is never wanted and hard to eliminate when you have a large coil and a hot setting- so back off a bit. I appreciate I can crank past normal when I want and conditions allow. Whatever works for you is all that matters. If you want easy listening or hard rock, dude you’re wearing headphones! Find what you like and smile!
IMHO
HH!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 05, 2012 01:35AM
Plain and simple the new technology is deeper, smarter, faster, more powerful so just picks up more...sort of a two headed sword with a good and bad side...
November 05, 2012 10:09PM
Good answer Dan.
November 06, 2012 01:57AM
The newer machine's have the GAIN turned way up compared to some of the older analog machine's...Why because they can........

While I love analog audio and disc quality's,,,they are not Usually as sensitive as even a medium priced digital detector today....theres really no more Vr's inside digital machine's any more...alot of the critical adjsutment's are coded into I.C.'s...no component drift expected so thing's are tighter...older analogs when new were tightly aligned for the most part but they also took into account for drift with age...so the kept thing's loose..

Now Troy was an exception He used alot of Vr's and I.C's but kept it tight...but his was designed like that, custom built...

What are the advantages of tighter aligned machine's? You can get a coil that is Really wound up tight and exact...
Gain can be increased well past Some of the older production analog machine's...

Now more gain does not necessarily mean more depth but more sensitivity to thing's on edge, smaller target's,

One thing I have found that a modern digital machine can not do as well as say a whites 5900 or 6000 Garrett 2500 is reproduce the smooth all metal mode....

I am sure they could do it but for some reason manufacturer's seem to think that hunter's dont use an all metal mode except on rare occasion's so they give us mediocore all metal at best...

There's nothing deeper in the soil than a smooth running properly balanced all metal threshold based mode....

Keith