Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega question(s)

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: O8 from '09
November 13, 2012 01:36AM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got mine in Feb or March of '09 and still have
> it.

OK then---what version # comes up on your screen?---Turn the detector off--hold the pinpoint button in and keep it held in while you turn on the detector while still holding the pp button in---a version # should come up on the screen momentarily.---Keith said on his new one a 03 comes on the screen.---Be interesting to see if it's a different # for the older Omega.
Re: Omega question(s)
November 13, 2012 02:03AM
My Omega shows 04 really quick when I turn it on with the pinpoint held in.
November 13, 2012 02:35AM
Keith Southern Wrote:

> And that brings up another thing...In a house site
> area with lot's of iron I do dig alot of deep
> nails with the omega...they sound good usually
> from all angles except one...but in constant iron
> that does not help...So I do chase more deep nails
> with the omega compared to other modern
> machine's..

> I can run the ground bal. anywhere I want in disc
> mode in my dirt with no falsing...not sure the
> disc mode ground balances all the way no matter
> the setting...I think it may stay in a window
> range no matter where it's at while in disc
> mode...

Keith, that sounds like ground balance is not working in disc mode or is limited in range....
But at lower operating freqs, ground balance is usually not as critical as higher freqs.
That worries me where you mentioned you "chase deep nails".
My question is there a way to sort out those deep nails...here.. I have nails from right under surface to as deep as any other item, in other words, nails are at every depth.
If there is a way in pinpoint or all-metal to tell if they are nails, thats fine....or whatever tricks.

I am curious since we are discussing the Omega is what are the differences between it and the F5 besides the shaft setup....
Perhaps someone who has closely studied both can make comment.
November 13, 2012 02:58AM
I would hate to pinpoint in a bed of nails house site...Wheres the right target...

The nail's that fool it the most is the ones with the big ball of rust....

Larger iron is not a problem even at depth for the most part...Its just balls of rust nails...one thing is they read like 55 mostly...but that could be a good button or nickle too...so you have to dig them .. they sound to tight not to..

I am not sure it's that detrimental..look at all the thousand's of nails in site and to dig a few dozen in a few hours is not too bad.. Statistically speaking...

Once you dig some of the deeper big items thats are non-ferrous you will have a new appreciation for the platform built off a T2 but aimed and high conductor's...

Always amazing to see big brass surface that higher freq machines overlook...

Weird, is it not?..a high freq machine will dig small target's at decent depth but struggles with larger target's at depth...

I remember one time I was digging some .58 caliber bullet's with a Lobo St...they were about 10-11 inches deep.....I then got another signal that was sort of scratchy right were I was digging the bullet's...well at about 12 inches I found a U.S. Buckle complete, lying flat..no iron around...yet the the Lobo ST saw the bullet's better than the quite large Buckle...

I have seen it many times over the year's...

Thats why a Omega compliment's the G2 very well...they both act as they should freq wise.

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 05:19AM by Keith Southern.
November 13, 2012 03:02AM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Kevin......I'd just not heard
> of that previously. So when they did get your O8k
> fixed, did they write what specifically they'd
> done that time such as maybe a new software
> version? I gotta admit, I saw early on that the
> 11" DD outperformed the stock 10" considerably, at
> least given the units I have or had so besides the
> 5"DD, I run the 11" on there much more often than
> not. I too was glad to hear when they introduced
> the various coil packaging options.

No, Buckeye Brad, the first time I sent it in, they wrote " replaced headphone connector" and then I got it back and it still did two things that was the reason i sent it in for: It did that crazy Ground balance siren thing....and also, at times, on its on, it would just start going crazy. Ground balance numbers would go crazy and it seems like teh VDI numbers would just go crazy even if you held it up in the air. Finally, it would settle down. But you would hunt a while and it would do it again. So I sent it back. When it came back, it said the same thing about the "headphone connector". It had me stumped. I will say this: they didn't charge me for the repair even though I explained to Felix that I was up on the high part of the Tennessee Riverbank when I went tumbling off all the way down to teh water's edge. (It was a LONG fall that seemed to take an hour to complete). But I held the detector up and laet my body take the majority of the blows. When I got back up, I turned my unit back on and started searching. It seemed to be working fine. But later that morning it started doing that erractic thing. Plus, it started doing the crazy siren sound when trying to ground balance.
Re: O8 from '09
November 13, 2012 04:19AM
Version 02
November 13, 2012 04:38AM
Oh I wouldn't mind a dozen or whatever...if it gets fooled on lumpy nails or even some bent nails. I would be ok with that.

But if it was a solid lock on deep nails in general, that would not be good for me.

And if those that false tend to ID on the same number group, that's fine.

I tend to use the "lying" ID numbers to know what I am going to be dealing with.

My health isn't good enough to "excavate" a layer to remove all....
Indeed there are few places where one can get away with that anyhow.

You are correct too about pinpointing in a bunch of nails...yet some models will give a "zip" on nail crossways
yet if it is a good reading and/or suggestive audio, the only true way to know is to dig.
The Etrac's Achilles Heel:
November 13, 2012 11:42AM
This was the biggest downfall of the Etrac platform: solid lock on deep nails with good tone and VDI when running too high in manual sensitivity... a sensitivity required to match the depth of a CZ or LTD in the same environment. Yes, the pinpoint is off, but you're never quite certain until you've got a gallon of dirt dug. It was always easier to discern falsing with either Fisher platform.

If the CTX were to mainly eliminate this problem I'd have to sit at a table with my friend Ray-Mo. and eat some crow.
tested out the 5x10 DD on the Omega...
November 16, 2012 12:58AM
And I can honestly say WOW!!

What a super nice deep stable well built coil...

I dug some deep high conductor target's today and also some extremely small low conductor target's in iron.....

The Omege is proving to be a great detector..You get the benefit of a low freq with the added bonus of FT's hyper sensitivity platform...

To say I am not truly enamored with the setup would be an understatement...

I can see now why people have a fondness for the Omega...once you have a PROPER one the performance is great.. the unit is very conveying ...

I know one thing I have not dug so many 80+ I.D. target's in along time....LF rigs have there place...I use HF rigs so much that sometime's you forget their limitation's..I love digging deep high conductor's.... BIG BRASS!!!

again the G2/Omega makes a great 1-2 punch setup...actually think the Omega makes a better all arounder than the G2..

Keith
November 16, 2012 07:06PM
Keith, which tone setting do you use in disc mode?
November 16, 2012 08:39PM
Steve ...I like the 2 tone zero disc... it's deeper than the 3 or 4...

If I am trying to unmask in a dead spot then 1 tone 16 disc..

Keith
Re: tested out the 5x10 DD on the Omega...A bit more info
November 18, 2012 01:22AM
Info on Omega...It really lock's onto high conductor's at depth Like no other detector I have had...

The Hyper platform combined with a 7.8kHz freq really is making this the only(unique) setup available on todays market with that combo...Nowhere else do I know where you can get a low freq hyper platform outside of FT...

The Omega is a more powerful machine than the G2...I can see this... and unless you are after real small target's the Omega can see what the G2 can see and more....When both are ran wide open...

One other thing on the omega..when it's ran in all metal mode, it has a whole different I.D. system...it not working with the Disc I.D. system..it seems to be using another set of algorithm's to produce the I.D...

Most machine's that I.D. in all metal use the disc circuit to create the I.D....They will I.D. in the disc side and the all metal side with the same numbers ,
The Omega when in all metal is compiling data differently...independently of the standard disc mode....The I.D. is also deeper on the all metal side when compared to the disc side...

The G2 does not exhibit this...it's i.d. is equal reading's and equal depth 'visually' in all metal or disc...It uses a common circuit like most other's...

I also like that the I.D. screen clears on the all metal side on the omega.This helps on the real deepies.the Disc side does not do this it locks and stays locked till another target is encountered...

The Omega is really unique...

I could write some more up on it but want to experiment a bit more ..

O yeah the 5x10 dd versus the 5x10 concentric...in just minerals is night and day difference in SEE THROUGH..

The 5x10 is wound really tight also..maybe tighter than the 5"DD

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 01:34AM by Keith Southern.
November 18, 2012 01:50PM
The omega is a great detector i have the ultimate detech 13 coil and i get great depth and seperation for a large coil. I have found so much great stuff over the last 8 months ive had it. Its lightweight you can swing it fairly fast as compared to my other detector (quattro) and one 9volt battery seems like it lasts forever. In my opinion the detector is hard too beat for the price. When i use my quattro i feel like im in reverse the whole time its heavy and slow and the EIGHT aa batteries it uses last at most 2-3 hunts. Keith im hoping santa brings me the 5x10 dd coil for christmas its on my list! Just sharing my thoughts on the omega HH Paul
November 18, 2012 06:38PM
Sounds good on the 13" Paul...

I want to get one before long...I keep watching the classified's...

Glad the Omega has found you some great stuff...

I have seen some videos on the net showing the depth in the soil the 13 get's on the Omega ...pretty astounding to say the least...

How to you compare the depth of the 13" Omega rig to the the Quattro with the the stock coil..

Maybe Santa will get you a 5x10 DD...I think that coil ought to be stock...light,deep, separates better than the stock..But I know why it's not...they are appealing to the coin hunter's and the DD's like crown caps..but what I have noticed on the 5x10 DD is the crown caps I have dug...Not many...Is they read like 96 and have a flat mushy sound with a tinge of iron tone on the edge's if you use zero disc...

Thats one thing that will help people on this platform if running dd's and coin hunting accept all, zero disc. that way the signature of the target can talk more to you...the 2 tone conveys the most info to me compared to the other tone's..the 2 tone is also deeper...A crown cap on 3 tone 4 tone sound's pretty good and especially when iron is disc'd out..even the concentric can be fooled in that setup occasionally...

Thanks for the info..

Keith
November 18, 2012 09:54PM
Keith the omega with the detech gets more depth than the quattro with the stock. I only have about 10hrs on the quattro so i'm really still learning it. With the omega I can get 8-10'' on most coin sized objects in my soil with fairly good id. Any thing over or closer to 10'' gets a little bouncey i have pulled 2 large coppers from the 1700's at probably 10-12''. I use the pro pointer as a judge i believe it measures 9'' and on both those coins the pro pointer was fully in the hole and then some. The 2 machines are like night and day the quattro is so slow i cant stand using it but it has produced for me at the places where emi is an issue for the omega with the detech. I also got it for the wet sand at the beaches and was just curious about the fbs technology and cant afford an etrac. My go to detector is the omega and my son uses the quattro he's 17 (figured i'd mention that becuase the quattros a tank). Paul
November 18, 2012 10:16PM
Thanks for the reply Paul...

I was asking about the depth becasue the Quattro is real deep coin hunter...Probably deep as any...If you have the quattro dont feel the Etrac or explorer is going to give you more depth...especially if you run them opened up...

I Know a couple of people who swear by the quattro as being as deep as the first eplorer XS...So you have fine instrument...

Iam sure the quattro with added 13" ultimate might give some more depth on that machine also...But good to know just how deep the mid priced Omega can get...

What I like it for is the ability to find larger brass at depth's in trash..

thats the thing low freq's and zippiness dont go hand N hand...Well not till FT made it available to us...

Thanks for your reply..

Keith
November 19, 2012 07:56PM
Paul - Couple of questions if I can. Did you find the Omega with the 13" Detech nose heavy? I might get me another one with that coil but remember it being a little nose heavy with the stock, though the detector is light.
Also, What is your ground mineralization like? Oh, one more, did you get that depth with 4 tones or ??? I got bored running two tone on the Omega, but that gave me another 1" of depth. Great great detector for the money.

Albert
November 19, 2012 08:20PM
Albert it is definitely a little more nose heavy but the omega is so light it doesn't bother me at all. My ground mineralization usually any where between 50-60 and the Fe bars in upper right of the screen is usually 1 bar or no bars. Not quite sure if thats considerd bad or good and I always run it in 2 tone disc usually at 17 I find I get the best depth that way. Also one side note if the emi goes up a little bit by me. Most places I can run it wide open but my only other coil was the stock and never had any problems with emi. To me its a small price to pay for far better performance than the stock 10th inch. I highly recommend it I have not taken it off since I got it probably 3 months ago. Paul
November 19, 2012 10:35PM
Thanks for the reply Paul. For comparisons sake, with the 11" DD coil, I got around 7" - 8" of depth max it seemed. My ground read at 65 with 1 to 2 bars (or none) on the meter. I think my ground is a bit more mineralized judging by the bars, but forget if a higher number is worse or not. I ran mine wide open in two tone with roughly the same disc as well, ran pretty quiet actually. I could imagine another 1" - 2" of depth with that 13" DD coil, great and light coil.
November 20, 2012 06:05PM
I hear the 13" is lighter than the pro coil on a Etrac...So it ought to be pretty light on a Omega/G2...it mounts to the center compared to the rear, like the Bi-Axial so it might even feel alittle better feel wise anyway...

Keith
November 20, 2012 09:45PM
Keith - it isn't lighter. The reason some people thought that is because the weight listed was without the cable (I weighed both on an accurate scale and then realized that). The 13" Detech is slightly heavier than the Pro Coil, but you can't really feel the difference. The big difference is with the 10X12 coil, that one kills the balance.

Albert
November 28, 2012 03:16AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
>> Yes Del the red ones seem to be the latest
> one's...But I remember back in 09 there was some
> red ones too...I had one of the first ones and it
> was red too...then they went black ,now they're
> back red..I do like the red outlines it shows up a
> bit better when looking at all the black
> info..Sort of breaks it up..but just
> preferance...

I picked up a new O8 last week, its version 04 but has black lines not red. Not sure why theyre different. I can run it 99 sens, D2, 0 disc at a few places with the 13" ultimate. smooth machine so far, and does like deeper brass. Thanks for all the input Keith.
November 28, 2012 03:44AM
I think Del has an 04 red face...So not sure about that...I hear it's just an LCD supplier...some are red some are black...they probably jump from a couple of vender's ...

He says his runs well at 99 also...So they have definately worked on the EMI issue's...

I will say the OMEGA when running smooth is one heck of a detector for high conductor's and no slouch on low conductors ...I really can take a liking to it...

I like the 5x10 DD it's nice...But I think for the size vs perfromace the Bi-Axial is the better way to go...the Bi-Axial seems a little tighter...A little deeper..
I wonder how much btter depth wise the Ultimate is over the Bi-Axial...I am sure it's not as tight but is the depth that much greater....when running both on 99 sens?

Glad you are liking it

Keith
November 29, 2012 04:23AM
Hey Keith, I had read where you run the Omega in 2 tone due to it being deeper than 4 tone. Sorry if this is an ignorant question, I dont know that much about multiple tone machines.....Why would 2 tone be deeper than 4 tone? Wouldn't the difference just be the way the machine audibly reports different segments of the visual display?

Thanks,
Chad
November 29, 2012 06:20AM
Hey Chad not a ignorant question at all.And Not all tone machine are the same...

The Omega in 2 tone is like say the T2 's 2 tone mode....

It has a modulated audio in 2 tone...that means you get depth perception out of the audio especially on the high tone side ....the Audio will sound off deeper than the I.D. screen will show...Its very conveying type audio...

The 3 tone 4 tone is more full on audio to depth.Saturated...then it's not there...the I.D. screen and the audio usually are in sync reporting wise...Alot of tone machne are set up like this.A binary audio for lack of better word's.the 2 tone type modulated/nuanced/conveying audio is something the newer tone machine's are starting to offer...
(the GMP has it...the DEUS has it...The Vista's have it...and a few more...FT offers it on a few models)

A dime might report in air out to about 12 inches then it will just drop out and begone in 3/4 tone...
A dime in 2 tone will report out to about 13-14 inches with the extra depth being in the fringe area past the proper I.D. range...
The high tone can become so weak sometimes it can almost sound like the low tone iron sound...not quite but it can get close to the same tonal quality..

The 2 tone is a deeper mode...a bit noisier but is set up for depth where I.D. is not as important as deep retrival ...The 2 tone is a more of a Voltage controlled oscillator type set up in a 2 tone option...very depth perceptive type audio...Very Zippy Too!!!!!!I am a fan of VCO DIsc Modes...I like the quickness it can offer when couled with tight DD's

Keith
November 29, 2012 06:48AM
Omega is far deeper to 2 tonnes.
Always on the go> best walk in the headphones, I go in koss qz99.
See what is the difference in tonnes
27min 50 sec video.>> [www.youtube.com]
OMEGA The deepest of the series first-texas detector who tested

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 07:07AM by Denari.
November 29, 2012 02:40PM
Thanks Keith, good explanation!

Chad