Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ's in hot ground?

Posted by CSGeorgia 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ's in hot ground?
November 27, 2012 04:36AM
How do the CZ units perform in hot ground? I know all vlf's are challenged depth and ID wise in highly mineralized areas, and there are no DD coil options for the CZ's. That being said, does the dual frequency of the CZ units help to combat this? I see Tom recommends some of the minelab units for really bad ground, but I'm not interested in the minelab units or PI machines at this time (maybe my loss, but cost prohibitive and the tones would drive me nuts). I'm in the Atlanta area if that helps to give an idea of the difficult soil.

Thanks!

Chad
Re: CZ's in hot ground?
November 27, 2012 05:10AM
They dont work that well in our Atlanta red clay...They are allright but not for real depth....and theres better unit's for relics...T2's/F75's work pretty good for vlf's around Atlanta..The DEUS works well for depth...No real I.D. if it's a concern though...

MXT's work well around here with DD's...As does GMP...Whites 5900 great unit for depth around here utilizing all metal mode with visual I.D. ...not the greatest in dense trash...

Musketeer works real well also..but is has e.m.i. issues

The pulse's are hard to beat fr bad dirt punch...actually for deep coins without alot of trash digging a TDI will do wonder's...

The Omega is nice for this area with DD's..
Keith
November 27, 2012 01:18PM
Chad,

About 60 miles East of Atlanta (Lake Oconee/Eatonton) I had a CZ go into bell-tone overload with the coil about 4" above the ground. It was as if to be detecting on top of a car hood. Entire Grnd Balance span/settings changed nearly nothing. A few other areas presented worse results. Final summational/conclusive resultant: Only a PI would/could handle this scenario. In general..... the CZ platform (for a VLF unit) can handle bad dirt better than most other VLF units; however, mild total-failure ... vs ... extreme total-failure.......... still equates to 'total-failure'.

((( I sent a 45-lb sample of red dirt to Dave Johnson a few years ago. For the record: FTP is not sleeping ))).
November 27, 2012 02:13PM
Thanks Tom and Keith, I appreciate your input. Two of the ones you mentioned, the Omega and 5900 di have been on my radar, I may be acquiring an Omega soon. Also, great to hear about the dirt sample Tom, hopefully Dave has more breakthroughs on the way!

Thanks for all you guys do,

Chad
November 27, 2012 02:40PM
I understand that in the areas you hunt nothing will work including the CZ....I was going to suggest using a negative ground balance but it looks like Tom already tried that.

I understand the Southern hunters swear by the Nautilus units and bad ground and perhaps a Nautilus hunter could chime in. Unfortunately we are not playing on a level playing field and look for some more input from hunters in your area as imagine they would have hands on input.

Coming from the hard coal region of Pa. many of the ash laden yards of my area are really affected by mineralization and are tough to hunt and can understand your problem to a degree.Years ago tried to hunt around a abandoned coal breaker with several units and well left in disgust as not huntable.
November 27, 2012 07:35PM
Hey Dan...Here in Atlanta a nautilus is not the first choice by a long show...

actually anywhere above macon they are not the tool of choice except in certain pocket's..

The Hunter's you talk of in the South that use the Nautilus are hunting the Coastal areas from Tidewater Virginia down to Forida then across to texas...

If you try to run a nautilus around here it will blow back on you on the all metal side constantly....

I would love to see Nautilus address this with a DD coil....

Keith
November 28, 2012 04:29AM
Thanks for the input DanPa! I've been going back and reading the CZ postings on another forum. Looks like you have a wealth of knowledge and time on the CZ's. I've been very intrigued by the CZ's, was hoping to hear the dual frequency would be the trump card in the dirt here (for a vlf at any rate). I have a couple of the units mentioned above on my to-try list. Searching for that unit that fits right and gives me the confidence to stick with it and really learn the machine.