Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

USS California tag ID needed (sunk at Pearl Harbor)

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
USS California tag ID needed (sunk at Pearl Harbor)
November 27, 2012 07:48PM
The recent find of a 1942 20mm shell reminded me of a previous find of a USS California ID tag, which to this date still hasn’t been ID.

From internet searches, I know the USS California was sunk on the attack at Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941, and was salvaged and reconstructed. It was decommissioned in 1947. Tuft, D. L., or Delmar L. Tuft, died while on board the USS Colorado.

I found this tag while shoreline detecting at a San Francisco Bay site. And very curious as to what this tag is and how it got to the San Francisco bay.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: USS California tag ID needed (sunk at Pearl Harbor)
November 27, 2012 08:56PM
Looks like a Duffle bag tag to me. Kinda like a airline baggage tag today.Ex Sailor Greg
November 28, 2012 03:08AM
not sure on the tag's use..

I am sure if you could locate the family they would love to have it...I would want it if it was my Grandfather's.

Wonder if He died in this attack here:

"Colorado arrived in Leyte Gulf on 20 November 1944 to support American troops fighting ashore. A week later she was hit by two kamikazes which killed 19 of her men, wounded 72, and caused moderate damage. Nevertheless as planned, she bombarded Mindoro from 12–17 December 1944 before proceeding to Manus Island for emergency repairs."

Tuft might of been on the California before Pearl Harbor...He might of already been transferred off before the Cowardly Attack on Pearl Harbor...

Nice piece of History

TRY TO FIND THE RELATIVES

I find a Delmar L. Tuft on the Colorado
[usscolorado.org]

Heres the 1940 census
[www.ancestry.com]

If this is the same Guy(Probably Is) He must of been pretty sharp...

Heres a 1926 Naval Officers Directory
Delmar L. Tuft listed in Bellvue D.C. Naval research Lab
[www20.us.archive.org]

Heres a 1931 naval officer's directory
Theres a Delmar l. Tuft listed in Fla.Naval research Lab.........Radio Elec...
[www.archive.org]

Heres the 1938 Naval Officers directory He's on the U.S.S. California
Tuft. Delmar L, chf radio elec, u s s California

In 1942 Theres a Delamar Tuft LTJG in the U.S. Navy
[www.usofficerdocuments.com]

Keith

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 05:41PM by Keith Southern.
November 28, 2012 10:09AM
To find the family would be a real high point if it were me. I bet it would mean a lot to them. They might be able to fill in some of the history as well.
November 28, 2012 07:47PM
That is some very good information that you’ve acquired, Keith. After posting an ID request (unfulfilled) on another forum a year ago, completely forgot about the tag. Was able to get similar “archive” info on the internet, didn’t have any success (or should I say), didn’t know how to find descendants. Ancestry.com appears to have info that might make it possible to do so.

Thanks again for the reply.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil