Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FCC regulations

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
FCC regulations
November 29, 2012 12:15AM
Are the US metal detector manufacturers still limited by the 100 milliwatt transmit ceiling?
Re: FCC regulations
November 30, 2012 03:42AM
Hi Mark,
I don't think so. I'm not sure they ever were. There was a pretty good discussion about this over on Carl's board awhile back. It was interesting to discover that most metal detectors operate around 40 milliwatts. So even if there was a 100 milliwatt limit we were still far below it.

I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Guess I could go back and search out the thread.

HH
Mike
Re: FCC regulations
November 30, 2012 05:29AM
No there not a 100 milliwatt no more...They were I believe,but it was back in the earlier day's...

I think below 10kHz theres not even a restriction...

The problem with getting high watts is doubling the watts would not double the depth...

I think theres alot of detectors running around 10 milliwatt's..

Say you had a detector running a 1 watt transmit...You would never get the coil to work right...1 watt is a lot of power transmission speaking..I am sure the coil could never null...never ground bal...A pulse could since it's a single mono coil but not a VLF it would cause havoc...

Most VLFdetectors transmit the same power no matter the model...

The Sens control on your detector is a recieve gain control...

Theres a couple floating around that you can control the trans power but not alot...but still they are not no real high miiliwatt's..

The design principals of coils will not allow for power...

Magnetic ground would also drive a 1 watt transmitt crazy..

P.I's are different they work off decay rates and transmit hundreds of volt's into the ground on a pulse...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 07:02AM by Keith Southern.