Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My 10 Inch Dime

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My 10 Inch Dime
November 30, 2012 02:32AM
I have a 10" dime (clad) burried in my yard in a clean spot...4 f.e. bar dirt G.B. 85 on F75....pretty typical dirt for my area...

I have yet to find a machine that will hit it in disc mode reliable ...

Any Vlf that will hit has to have the Ground Bal manipulated to hit it but to do that the hot ground causes falses that sound the same as the real hit....

The Explorer's will hit it in manual 32 sens no disc pattern...but it sounds the same as the ringy hot rocks signal's that are everywhere in my area..
The Etrac will not hit it no matter what ...It nulls on the dime...like a Ground mineral...

So to dig deep small target's I go through alot of exploratory digging for my target's at depth

Now a P.I. like the TDI with proper setting's is the best avenue for deep high coin target's while being able to avoid hot rock problem signals that plauge the other machine's..

A TDI SL is a very good Deep coin getter..ultra smoothest operation I have seen on a P.I. or even any detector when ran wide open...The regular TDI is nice as is the Pro but the added benefit of no noise wide open while a tad bit shallower depth is actually able to hear weaker signal's...

But a Pulse is not usable every where especially looking for low conductor's in even light iron...

Dang Decay rate's!!!

I have another VLF machine right now to test on the Dime...We will see what happens...

I will let you know...O and its going to hit some serious iron holes in the next couple of week's that have become lifeless...

Stay tuned...

Keith
Re: My 10 Inch Dime
November 30, 2012 04:17AM
Oh boy!!!!! What could it possibly be??????
November 30, 2012 04:19AM
This is just a regular F75 or LTD Keith?
November 30, 2012 04:45AM
Its the S.E. Aaron..

it just grunts on the dime..

It a tuff dime...

Keith
November 30, 2012 07:27AM
Interesting thread Keith and we all look forward to your results. I wonder if they "tuned" the E-Trac to false less than the explorers, as to why the Explorers, in some ways, seem to be more powerful?

Ever try a CZ with a variety of coils?

Albert
November 30, 2012 08:32AM
Keith
try coil
nel tornado omega 12x13''.
10'' nickel detect no problem
I believe you will be satisfied
November 30, 2012 02:53PM
Unfortunately a recently buried dime should not be confused with one buried for 100 years as CZ's have got me more than one silver dime and yes even a couple of old clad ones at 10 inch depths with soft but easily heard signals. Gee hope there is not a 57 chevy buried under it....LOL....
Honestly masking even from larger iron objects several feet away can cause a signal to disapear...last summer while digging a deep signal laid down my digging knife about about 3 feet from the hole to test and the signal went away...picked up the knife and it was back and recovered a deep silver dime.Moral of story masking from large objects at
distances can cause us to miss many good targets...so that horseshoe or large piece of pipe might be hiding a nice coin that you went over many times over the years in your local park.
December 01, 2012 12:45AM
I'm curious to know if this dime has been tested on the CTX3030 yet? Thanks

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"
December 01, 2012 02:01AM
Vey true Dan 10 inch dimes are possible and done daily I am sure...

But My dirt will not allow you to dig a 10 inch dime easily...

I have dug past 10 inch's on pennys & dimes but the dirt was way better...More loamy less mineralized...

That was the point I was trying to get across..

Thanks

Keith
December 01, 2012 02:42AM
If your ETRAC nulled,,, it 's because there is somethng you have disc out under the coil, and is probably masking the dime,,,,
Wurthless
December 01, 2012 03:32AM
Nothing disced out...I dont use disc...

If the ground is bad the etrac has a built in mineral reject that null's unlike the explorer that ring's.

Thats where the extra depth comes from on the explorer...if you can interpret the ringy hot rocks from legitimate deep high hit's you can dig very deep..

The ground where the dime is burried is void of iron signal's..But not iron dirt...

Keith
December 01, 2012 04:15AM
Keith, my ground is called Pickwick Loam by the US Soil Survey map. It grows very good gardens. I have only recently began looking at the Iron Graphs on my detectors. My Fisher F5 shows two bars (Low) of iron content. And ground phase is at 48. Same as the dirt in town.
The Xterra 705 has a feature that will show how much mineraliation is in the ground. After you auto-ground balance (with tracking OFF) and it makes the sound that it is complete, reach over and hold down the PATTERNS button. Three SETS OF TWO digits will be displayed. Mine showed 00-57-69 or 5769 which translates into low mineralization content.
I just checked my Deus. It Grond balances at 71 and show one bar at the bottom of the iron scale. Sometimes. Many times, no bars. How many bars shows on a Deus in your ground? I am trying to figure out why my dirt acts like a mask. Perhaps there are OTHER minerals in my dirt that are doing some blocking. Incedentally, I just ran the Deus over everything that I got buried. It hits it all in 18, 12 and 8 khz. Things start getting IFFY in 4 khz. So I guess that I need to add a low frequency unit to my arsenal. But I am going to quit just ordering new detectors with no purpose in mind. I would like a good silver getter in dirt like mine. What is this "S.E." to which you keep referring?? Do they still sell em?? Are they discontiued? What about the newest Minelab Explorers? I had an Etrac, but I swear, I almost broke out into tears (almost, but not quite) when I buried a quarter at 8 inches and I only got an iron grunt with a wide open screen. I read and re-read Andy's book to try and "unlock" the secret of the Etrac. But my dirt wasn't friendly towards it. I am starting to get fixated on the dirt in my area and why it acts like it does. It is supposedly "low mineralized"....iron-wise anyway. To say I'm frustrated would be wrong. I actually embrace the challenge. Keith, you may have already answered this, but is your dirt considered highly mineralized?? And how did you come to this conclusion. Thanks. kevin
December 01, 2012 04:31AM
Deus about 3/4 full and 85 on 18kHz...

Keith
December 01, 2012 04:54AM
See....that tells me something. This WHOLE time I have been likening my soil to DanielTN's and others. Man....it is humbling to admit that I have been wrong about my ground all this time. I have sold alot of detectors with this motto in my head: This detector won't work becasue my ground is so mineralized. But SOMETHING is going on. Maybe I don't know how to set up a detector. Maybe I would have been just as well off with my ACE 250. I am starting to have an epiphany!!!!!! No, wait...........oh.....grunt!........it was just gas.