Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just ordered a Rare Earth Magnet!!! (UPDATE!)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just ordered a Rare Earth Magnet!!! (UPDATE!)
December 03, 2012 05:04AM
Things are fixin to get interesting at my notorious old CW campsite in town. I ordered my magnet from Applied Magnets in Texas. It is 4" x 2" x 1" N-42 350lb pull force.
What diameter of a hole should I work with as I attempt to sanitize the enitre 15' by 15' area that has been high;y productive yet is THICK with square nails, and little globs of iron, and pieces of nails etc etc. What would be the technique? This is going to get very revealing!!! I want to thank NasaTom for advising me on magnet size and type. Should be here Wednesday. How can I carry it in the trunk of my car without it becoming welded to the trunk floor??? I feel that there are going to be some difficulties with simple transporting of this little block.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 09:15PM by Kevin B.
Re: Just ordered a Rare Earth Magnet!!!
December 03, 2012 05:42AM
Kevin, I gave you explicit instructions on pit digging w your new magnet not even 2 weeks ago, your either too busy w all the the new toys or something else....(Yavonne maybe?).

Anyway take a nice thick bath towel and wrap it around the magnet and you'll be good, in fact always leave it wrapped up when not using!
December 03, 2012 05:50AM
The magnets are shipped in a double plastic tube. I think it's a great way to carry them too. Think about cleaning off the magnet also... it's not easy.

HH Joe

The
December 03, 2012 05:52AM
I'd vote for a wood box to keep it safer in the trunk.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 03, 2012 10:30AM
Mine is wrapped in bubble wrap, stored in a plastic coffee container.

Caution; know where it is and what it's near, at all times. Keep it away from any medical equipment mom's using especially if she has a defib or a pacemaker installed in her. Keep it away from where she travels.

When cleaning it in the field, wear gloves and put the little iron bits, nails etc., in a container or something so that you can dispose the debris in the trash.

Have a blast, but play it safe.
December 03, 2012 12:28PM
Thanks guiys, Oh, and Aaron, I DO remember you sayiing something about 'hockey" or 'hockey stick" but iother than that, I
ll do a search on your name and find the "explicit instructiions" but since I didn't own a magnet or even reallyy consider getting one. it warranted a quick scan.
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried doing a SEARCH on this forum on the word MAGNET last night, and thrioty minutes later, it is still reading: "Please be patient while search is running" or something like that.

EDIT: I found it Aaron. A 3' x 5' hole that is 2' deep, or as deep as needs be until I run out of any sign of metal. Removed in layers. I'll find something to JB Weld my magnet to when it comes.
I actually approached the Doctor (a Vet) and he told me that he plans on someday expanding the clinic (which is on the adjoining lot) onto the lot that has the Campsite. I have already dug up and replaced a thousand plugs, and when you walk across the small plot, you'd be hard pressed to find a single instance of where I removed a plug (and a bent nail).
I am going to carry my dog up to the clinic, and ask him if I can make a small hole, wave a magnet through it removing the old nails so that my detector won't be thwarted by said nails. And tthat I will leave the land as I found it when I'm done, and will, at my expense, if he wishes, re-sod or re-sew the coastal bermuda that it sparsely coming up in the plot. He is really an agreeable sort. He always waves at me when I am up there swinging (once or twice every week). I have already removed sevral pouches FULL of nails and other ferrous detritus but when I swing the coil over any section, it is like a machine gun of iron tones. (I have dug all the chirps....or most of them). When I'm done, there will not be an iron grunt left. Ya know, it's funny......I feel that same old tyme feeling that I felt when I first found this site: "Wow! Wonder what I'll find down there! A gold dollar maybe?" But....I will get to see firsthand, how much is left after an exhaustive search. My last ten hunts with the Deus in various configs (three AND four reactivity) I have found only one small buckle (those little leather strap iron buckles that are rusted solid almost). But when you said that you have a 700 pound pull magnet, and the fact that mine is half as strong, I'll have to be twice as thorough. I already have a large clear tub to put dirt into. I will raise it off the ground with a couple of blocks of wood when digging the first pit, so that iron UNDER the tub won't affect my detection of the sanitized dirt. Then I will fill the pit back in. Make sure the top is sanitized of iron, and do away with the tub. I'll then lay a piece of bisquin (sp?) plastic over the clean and filled pit and place dirt from the next pit on that plastic. Swipe it with my magnet, and then swipe it with my Deus, with a lowered sensitivity (50%). All of this is theory. Oh yeah, I'll have a recepticle for wiping the iron bit off of the magnet with leather gloved hands. Should be fun as heck. And totally educational.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 01:08PM by Kevin B.
December 03, 2012 02:03PM
Have to say you are a persistent kind of guy and wish you luck in your ventures.

I know you will be surprised for the most part at all the iron specks and such in the ground and only a matter of time before you come up with a real keeper as your persistence will pay off.

We have one fellow that will stake off a plot of ground and clean the area with zero disc. and the last time I saw him in a local park he had a nice buffalo nickle and gold wedding band from an area gone over by many detectors over the years. So masking and the like can hide many good targets and again tip of the hat for your persistence.
Re: Just ordered a Rare Earth Magnet!!! (UPDATE!)
December 03, 2012 09:22PM
Well, I took a plaque of relics that I found at the site that I am about to excavate along with my newspaper clipping. The Doctor gave me a warm reception. And he also gave me full permission to do whatever I want. I explained about the hole and the rare earth magnet and getting rid of all nails that are in the ground. He was even intrigued. I went ahead and hired a man to come nlow the leaves off and mow the yard as a favor to the good doctor. It looks great up there. I just called the magnet place in Plano TX and my magnet will go out today on the UPS truck Should be here Wednesday!!!! This is going to be fun. I will carry my camera and try to do a little pictograph of my doings. The little camera also has a video cam in it and I may upload my first video on my Youtube acct so that I can open the door to the whole world'd critique. (i can't hardly wait for THAT part). But seriously, I am getting very excited about this new aspect.
Learned it all from you fellers!!!!!!!! Much obliged. If I happen upon another gold dollar.....I will post a pic of it and dedicate the pic to y'all. LOL (I'm just funnin with ya. I really DO appreciate all help from all quarters)
December 03, 2012 11:39PM
Can't wait to see that magnet in action and the detecting results!
December 04, 2012 12:36AM
Me neither!!! I am actually wondering what the best tool for digging will be. I will have to put the loose dirt in an elevated place because if I put a tarp down upon ground with iron it it, my dug dirt will still be masked. I guess I will have to work through each problem as it arises. But I already see a few potential problems. First, would anyone who has done this like to give me some advice on digging tools??? Should I loosen the dirt within the marked off plot with a pick, so that shoveling it out will be easier?? It is supposed to rain tomorrow so the ground will be damp Wednesday. I will STILL get started. It MAY make it easier. But will that magnet pull nails from a dirt clod? Will all the dirt need to be pulverized so that the nails will 'let go' and go to the magnet? So many questions. I'll just answer them as I go. I am going through with this one way or the other.
wjs
December 04, 2012 12:39AM
Do make a video if you can I would like to see it in action too......;o)
December 04, 2012 12:56AM
I'm going to. I want people on this forum to watch me do this....or at least excerpts....and then critique my efforts. My Nikon Cool Pix L26 can make some short movies. It will be my first, but I'll figure it out. There has been SO MANY TIMES when I was out detecting by myself and make a cool find and wish that i had recorded it for future enjoyment and inspiration. It will also add another aspect to an already awesome past-time.
Guys, I have decided on using a pick axe and square garden spade to do the digging. I will just have to RISK hitting something. Who knows, I may can do it all with my Predator shovel. But think about it...the hole will be two feet deep!!!! Or more if I hear metal on down. The other dimensions are 5 ft by 3 ft. The soil does not crumble easily. I can see this being a hindrance to magnetizing the dirt that i dig out. Again...any tips from guys who have done this are welcome. I will have 6 to 7 hours, three days (maybe four days if I can get another sitter for momma). I know that once i get started, I'll go into that zone and won't want to quit. I can picture shop lights set up on pedestals shining into the work. No, I better not get crazy and attract the archaeological people. They already look down on us. At least some do.
December 04, 2012 01:13AM
Detect the 3x5 area remove everything ferrous and non.

Remove the sod down (shovel) to just past the roots ( about 3" ) and set it aside, in order, so you can put it back when finished
I use a three prong hand rake with the magnet stuck to it, to rake the area and loosen up the dirt then go over it again with the detector, removing the goodies (hopefully) and iron.

Put that layer on the tarp/blanket and go over that dirt on the tarp with the magnet and the detector again.

Keep doing this layer upon layer, a couple/few inches at a time till you run out of targets and/or energy.

When there is no more fe or non-fe on the blanket or in the rectangle shaped hole, you have sanitized that spot.

Shovel the dirt back into the hole tamping with your boots every few inches. If you don't tamp, you may have dirt left over, and you don't want to leave a mound.

Place the sod back the way you removed it the best you can stomp that down also. If you have acess to a hose, water the sod.

After you have recovered, start the next hole....so on and so forth.

It's a bit of a workout but can be well worth it,,,have a blast!

Oh, don't forget to get that iron away, and off the site, you only want to remove it once.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 01:16AM by ozzie.
December 04, 2012 02:41AM
Thanks Ozzie.!!! I appreciate your taking the time to give me some help. yes, I imagine that it is going to be work intensive. But it'll keep my mind occupied. The area is clean and ready to go. The grass was cut and the leafs where removed today. I hired that little job out for the landowners benefit. It looks great. It's right on main street so I will have non-stop traffic on the 4 lane road that goes by.
Ozzie, I have a question. I don't really have a place to lay my tarp until I sanitize a strip of ground. I mean, the buried nails actually cover the whole yard, along with buried buts of orange brick. So when I metal detect the loose dirt that I have went over with a magnet....you know, the dirt that is on the tarp, won't the iron in the ground underneath the tarp hamper the detection??? Maybe I can set up a couple of blocks and put a big tub on it and fill it with dirt from my FIRST hole. And then, after that, I can simply put my tarp on the ground that has been sanitized of iron. I may be complicating this. It'll work out. Dang, I don;t think Wednesday is EVER gonna get here!!
December 04, 2012 02:52AM
Sanitize the dirt w the magnet before shoveling it on to the tarp. When the pile on the tarp gets deep enough then you can start running the coil and magnet over it.
December 04, 2012 03:04AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sanitize the dirt w the magnet before shoveling it
> on to the tarp. When the pile on the tarp gets
> deep enough then you can start running the coil
> and magnet over it.

Thanks Aaron. That's a great idea!!! That's how I'll do it. Been outside getting my tools ready. Got me a good 10'x10' tarp (green). I have a shovel that I am sharpening with my side grinder. I have a teknetics hand pick that I got when I bought a G2. I have a well builtthree pronged hand rake (i used for bottle digging). I'm going on safari. lol
December 04, 2012 03:15AM
Be careful when taking pics not to give your location away.....
December 04, 2012 05:01AM
Good thinking Steve. I'll be mindful of that. I appreciate that 'heads up'.
December 04, 2012 10:44AM
Another thought - Don't use a tarp with grommets, they give a good signal.

If one pit dosen't produce, don't give up. I've been skunked on one and the pit next to it produced (if memory serves me) a Bahamma Copper 1803, a 1825 half cent, a large cent and many flat buttons. One thing I noticed was the deep coins were in great shape.

Thinking back, I did have problems with iron under the blanket. You may want to detect that area first and remove the detectable iron.

You may also want to use a small coil. The side walls of the pit, check them too.

Can't wait to read about your discoveries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 11:04AM by ozzie.
December 04, 2012 01:20PM
Ozzie, the only detector that I have that can accept a small (5 inch DD) coil is the F5. I saw a Youtube video last nite of one of our own members (wjs) air testing that 5 inch coil on a Tek Omega. I was amazed at the results. It reminded me of my air test results of the 5 inch coil on the F75SE!! I think he air tested a nickel at 9 inches, and from a 5 inch coil, that is pretty dern good it seems. That little coil would be perfect for this job. I could have the F5 with 5 inch coil , plus the XP Deus on hand. Thoroughness. Thanks for the advice. Oh I won't give up. This will be neater than bottle digging in a way. It is going to rain all day. But this ground drains pretty well. The top 3 inches will be damp (hopefully not muddy, tomorrow) and the ground underneath will be great.
December 04, 2012 08:04PM
Man, I have been stuck in this house all day and I am about to go bananas. Big rain is coming. I loaded up my F5. I am starting to like that detector, Ordered a 5 inch coil for it today. I will use it during my excavations. I have another place that should be good after I get through with this one. (which may take weeks or even months)
I have decided to start my excavation where I dug my last good target (compliments of the Deus). A cufflink shaped like a 5 dollar gold piece. (or maybe it was another denomination). I'd like to find the other one. I also found three Tranter pistol bullets at this site. Two 36 cals and a 44 cal. They are a handsome bullet. Kinda rare too.