Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Infinium LS......

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Infinium LS......
December 06, 2012 01:49AM
To go along with my white gold thread.... here i am looking at an Finny. There are things i like about this machine over say the DF..... its got a lot of user options. Just not sure thou .... a gold machine that can be used as a water machine. Its the same uS thou as a DF 15 uS. It is manual GB with a hi lo or lo hi that gives you some TID. It says its not as affected by adjusting the pluse delay as many PIs. It also has some freq adjustment ....most PI dont. Coils..... you can change them and their are reasonably priced.... Mono and DD..... im liking that. Here that ML.... i dont have to buy an entire machine to get another coil. Is this a good choice....or am i missing something? Got someone im going to hunt with Monday who is bring me one to use for the day. Im going to use it on an active beach that has a lot of competition so that is going to be interesting..... and fun.

Dew
Re: Infinium LS......
December 06, 2012 02:17AM
Yes the pulse delay on the infinium is the disc control...

I like the infinium's myself...they seem to have an affinity for low conductors more so than the TDI ....TDI seems a little stronger on coin's..

the tone on the infinium will change at the zinc penny range....so it is it's weakest there....yet still deep...but that's something to remember...

it gives 2 tones for each object instead of one tone high or low like a tdi...not that theres anything wrong wiht that but it is a bit more noisy in busy site's..

they are sometimes prone to emi problems even when using the freq changer...

I think the mono coils run really well and have a bit more depth...

not sure how low the delay goes but probably is around 15 I doubt they get to 10...it's more of a ring getter...

nice piece fo equipment..I hear theres a new infinium in the works that might cut out the dual tone for every target...and have a couple of added feautre's...

Every one needs a P.i. in minerals.to hunt effectively..I beleive that...

if you dive or surf hunt I think you could do a lot worse...but not awhole lot better for that environ...

Keith
December 06, 2012 01:03PM
Thanks Kieth..... good info..... but you added the introduction of a NEW one... dog gone it. From my finds of gold most of it seems to hit below the penny... well except for huge class ring types. I just really like the option of being able to use reasonably priced coils and change them without having to hot wire or buy another complete machine. 8" coil, Mono, and DD.... sounds good. Not digging coins or a lot of iron can be a more efficient way to hunt a beach and this machine maybe able to do that. Most of the PIs dont like EMI at least you have a shot at cutting out a little. Dont know that i like the 2 tones..... that might get old quick. Liked what you said about it liking low conductors. Someone mentioned the Pluse control was more like a sensitivity adjustment and didnt affect the depth quite as much as on most PIs. Ive always liked a good manual GB.... and the lock once set. Keeps you from tracking i think.

Dew
December 06, 2012 01:15PM
Dew,

As far as ground balancing the Infinium, it is not a manual process in the sense that you can off set the GB if you want. It is more of an automatic GB where you do have to go through the process of bobbing or sweeping the coil to get the unit to listen/sniff the ground.

You can run in Fast, Slow or Lock when done ( I usually lock in when wet salt sand hunting as my beaches don't change much in terms of mineralization). However, the salt content may change, and the unit will let you know about that and then you have to adjust the sensitivity ( discrim knob) as well as possibly the threshold. Also, the unit may act up due to EMI, so going through the frequency check is another option that can help stabilize the unit.

Just wanted to let you know that the Inf is not a manual GB unit in the true sense in that you can not set it up positive or negative via offsetting, like true manual GB units.
December 06, 2012 02:04PM
I should have known that...... or at least thought about that. Ole timers moment. I could do that with the DFX run it pos or neg and it was still an auto GB with a factory set when it wouldnt GB properly. Even the Xcal will let you know when the salt content changes or minerals increase on the bottom. Thanks...... you have been a lot of help. Now i have to wait again to see if they put out a new one lol. I agree Keith..... a PI would be a good addition and if im thinking of getting one the finny seems to have some flexibility but with a little more instability than the DF.

Dew
December 06, 2012 10:17PM
Dew,

Just remember the reason the INF has more 'instability' is due to the fact that it is not adjusted to cancel out the effects of salt water ( which will have the same conductive properties as some small gold targets), due to being designed as a gold hunter first. BUT...it has the ability to do so. Others PI's do not. So, it can actually be fine tuned to get the smaller gold that the other PI's may be blind to.

It's all in how you approach it.
December 07, 2012 12:54AM
Yes from what ive read the salt setting can make all the difference in the world. I understand you do have to buy the water headphones seperate..... do you need them if you arent diving? Whats the affects of getting the land ones wet? But you said Gray Ghost makes them too. So therover..... what is the down side to this machine? I know you didnt use the DF long..... but with the same uS but a better salt setting for gold it sounds like a good beach PI. Its not like you can swing anything out there to fast. I normally just move mine kind of like a paint brush movement keeping the coil close or on the bottom and as flat as possible. Everyone likes the DF..... but with some interesting options why is this machine not being used more on the beach? Or is the DF just that much more stable, easier to PP, and faster to move?

Dew
December 07, 2012 02:56AM
Dew,

You can use the land phones as long as you don't dive. One good thing about them is they have a volume control. They are pretty resistant to weather, but as with all gear, using them in a salt water environment and not being able to totally hose them off with fresh water can cause problems in the long run.

As far as sweep speed goes, you can definitely sweep much faster with the DF than you can th INF. The INF is a slower sweep speed unit. Also, pin pointing, due to the coil design of the DF, is more accurate than with the 10x14 mono or DD on the INF.

The GG under waters that I have hooked up don't have a volume control, but I have seen guys mod them to have one. They sound better and are more comfortable than the Garrett land headphones, but I cannot compare the GG's to the Garrett underwater head phones since I have never used them, but from what I read, they are much louder due to assuming the person using them is underwater and has to contend with air tank bubbles ( my guess).

Lastly....the stock set up on the DF is much more comfortable than the stock set up on the INF ( my opinion), DF is lighter and balances a heck of a lot better in the stock set up. I have my INF mounted on a Plugger straight shaft designed for the INF and the balance is perfect with the 10x14 mono. But that incurs an extra cost. You can hunt right out of the box, in the rain and underwater, with the DF without any added accessories.

Pros and cons for both units. Just comes down to what you feel more comfortable using and how it handles the conditions you hunt in.
December 10, 2012 09:40PM
Well i got my hands on an Inf LS today for about 4 hours. PPing with those double tones and putting a 8" mono coil in the hole doesnt work for me.... it was a bit of a pain. Heres my finds.... [metaldetectingforum.com] I also didnt care for those almost ghost high tones i got if i swung to quickly. Weight.... much lighter than a Xcal for sure and that 8" in the water was great. The threshold had been set at 4... to me there was no threshold so i had to move it up to 6 to get a slight hummm i wanter. I hit a beach that has been pounded just to see what was being left. The ring i found was pretty deep and one of those threshold changes without the hi lo. I enjoy the day and nice payday too, but now ill have to try a DF..... just cause. I would have liked to have tried the larger DD but she didnt bring it.

Dew
December 10, 2012 10:37PM
Hey dew you will find the infinium to get more depth and not false as much is you raise the threshold higher than you might think you need.I like the infinium threshold to be pretty loud..it will get better depth...weird but true...

Keith
December 11, 2012 11:52AM
Did 6 (12 o'clock) setting sound about right Keith? With the 8" coil it was pretty easy to PP because my scoop is a monster. It might really take some getting used to on one of the larger coils. Maybe ill get lucky and they will introduce one with those single beeps or just a raise in threshold. Sure picked up that ring at a decent depth. I had someone working close to me with an Xcal.... didnt notice any interference. I was surprised i didnt hit more huge can lids out there. Sizing a target was more about sound i really couldnt get the feel of the target. Hey .... but 4 hours is hardly any time on this machine.

Dew