Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I just ordered a Etrac !!!!!

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I just ordered a Etrac !!!!!
December 10, 2012 04:53PM
Please...positive posts only!!! LOL No I'm kidding. ......about the positive post only. I REALLY DID order a Etrac. I am going to tear it down, study it's algorythmns and logaryuthyms (sp) and build my own souped up unit. Just kiddin Minelab. Don't take me seriously about what I just said. But I am going to see for myself, now that I have close to two years under me belt, if this detector can reach deep in mineralized ground. I also FINALLY upoaded my FIRST vid onto Youtube with my Nikon CoolPix camera.
I think I might start making vids. Starting today. I'm totin' my F5 with 11 inch DD coil to a couple of yards. It rained all last nite so things might get muddy.............but CONDUCTIVE! Now, I already know that my voice sounds stupid in recording because I listened to it the other day and it sounded like a compleat stranger!!! I mean WEIRD sounding. But I will still attempt to narrate my vids. I'll be carrying the F5 AND the Deus along in case I hunt a real iron-y site. Stay tuned.
Etrac guys.....I'm ready for some pats on the back. Maybe then I can swallow this lump in my throat from dropping over a grand.
Re: I just ordered a Etrac !!!!!
December 10, 2012 07:12PM
Kevin that is money well spent. The Etrac is one of the best!!
December 10, 2012 08:34PM
If you need any help, just ask. The Etrac is a very capable machine, you'll love it.
December 10, 2012 11:05PM
I certainly love mine! Soon it'll be time to talk coils!!!
December 10, 2012 11:15PM
Goodie goodie gumballs!!!!!!! Tomorrow, I will spend a while knocking on some doors. That will be TIME well spent. And house that is 1950 something and older is unsafe from my solicitations. I'll be carrying my newspaper clipping mounted on card stock around with me. Thee'll have a true star in their yard!!!! (being facetious....)
I am very excited about the Etrac. I will get a chance to try it correctly.
December 11, 2012 12:51AM
Three + year ETrac user here. Absolutely superb machine for "finding coins". I loved mine...... If you are in "highly" mineralized soil, Minelabs do not work to their fullest in those conditions. We have a lot of black sand and Ga red clay here in middle Ga. The machine did not care for that at all so I avoided it. Good luck and it will find the coins like no other.
December 11, 2012 03:10AM
I look forward too seeing how it will do in my moderately mineralized ground. Bart from Bigboyshobbies gave me a great deal on it.
December 11, 2012 02:21PM
Geez dude! Spend more than a week using it!
December 11, 2012 02:28PM
Fine choice and well learned is certainly one of the best deep silver coin units out there. Only minus is the weight and would use the presets until you get the hang of it and a patient mentor will really cut down the learning period. Hope you like tones as its certainly the secret of the Explorer series and wish you luck with a fine unit...
December 11, 2012 02:49PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez dude! Spend more than a week using it!

No doubt about it. I spent so much on it, I'll have to keep it a while. After using some of the settings that friends use in similar dirt as mine, and after many many hunts on new, and virgin ground (I hope), I will know better than I have have of the Etracs pros and cons. I will probably keep it long enough to try other coils that i see others using with enhanced abilities in dirt that seems similar to mine. If it makes the grade as a great coin machine (which I have needed for a while), it will find a home here. But, after (much more than a week) of testing, (real world and test garden), it seems to perform similarly in my dirt, which is richly full of ability to mask quarters below 8 inches, I will do what I gots to do. But actually, I am looking forward to applying what I have learned since having my first Etrac. THEN....I knew nothing of silent masking, iron masking, DIRT MASKING, etc etc etc. I would run my first Etrac in nail ridden sites and then run my AT Pro through the same site and the AT Pro would find stuff and the Etrac would constantly go silent (null). See....I didn't know WHERE to run the Etrac that would optimize it's strengths. I hope that mindset in me has changed somewhat. I have a couple of devoted Etrac users on hand to help me achieve knowledge about the machine. Right now, my goal is to set up some new sites to search. I already know of an old fairground in town that has been searched (an old coins found at depth). It has a little league park right next to it now. But it will be a fine place to try the Etrac. Also, some homes in the historical district await me. Sadly, our town didn't start building parks until the 1970's. So we have no OLD parks like they have up north. Down here, everyone went to the river. And the river bank (Thanks TVA) is now off limits to detectors. But I'll find places. I live in an historical area. My very yard (out of the city limits) may have an old place where people shot craps. And there is a property across the highway from me that I have permission to hunt where sevral families lived when there was a dairy there at the turn of last century. I just need fresh sites to hunt. I'm sure all of us do. I am starting to see first hand how those LAME television metal Detecting (BOOM BABY!!!!) shows has hurt us and has made it harder to get permission. Many that I have asked to hunt their yard have seen those TV shows and asks how we would want to divide the stuff I find. One lady stands and watches me. Everytime I get a signal with the Deus, and even as i START to dig, she asks: "What is it?! Whatd'ya find??!!! A Jar of money??!!" One day when she came outside as I got there, I pretended to get a phone call....and just left. Haven't been back. I talked to her a few days before about the reality of REALITY TV SHOWS such as that BOOM BABY ex wrestler turned metal detectorists. I told her the truth about the, That crap they find is staged. And that not everyone runs down to the pawn shop and sells what they find like he does. That man should be BANISHED from owning a detector. (Gosh I SO went off on a tagent then, but not toward you, the last replyer) I just had that on my mind this morning. I am going out today to knock on some doors. And was thinking about it. But back to your response. I'm keeping it more than a week. Hey, I kept the F5 two weeks. Getting better.
December 11, 2012 03:29PM
Dan, the Explorers silver tones are even better (higher) than the Etracs, though I like the Etrac better.

The Etrac learning curve is considerably shorter than explorers especially if you've used the explorer first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 03:31PM by Aaron.
December 11, 2012 05:33PM
Aaron everyone knows after 20 years a CZ will be my alltime favorite and really feel its deeper coil for coil size than the Explorer series but the Explorer series sure gives us a heck of a lot more info to dig or not and even though a CZ high tone really trips my trigger the difference in even high tones is far superior to a CZ....with the Explorer series and if they were not so darn heavy and ergonomic imperfect would certainly have one in my stable...
Certainly a CZ- Explorer series duo is certainly a silver coin perfecto.
As far as learning periods with my first Explorer XS spent 3 hours with a local Explorer guru of sorts and was a piece of cake rel the learning period and my first trip from a beat campground area produced an early merc dime, walking half dollar, buffalo nickle and 8 wheaties which really opened my eyes and hurt my back from the weight. Imagine a patient mentor would do the same for the original poster or 1st time E-trac user....
December 11, 2012 05:49PM
Congrats on the new etrac. I bought one back in sept. doing real well with. It is a pretty simple machine with a lot of high end potential.

I really like my F75,finds things in iron like there is nothing to it.So I kept it and take it with me incase I get into something the E can't handle.
All I can say for now,in my soil in SE Ohio, the depth is equal,Etrac nulls a lot in bad areas but it will still hit hard on a target evan though it's nulling.(for the most part)
I have hunted a few places now that I could'nt even hunt in ttf(could just be the operator)grab the F75 and bang! start popping out IH's ect.But I have found silver and copper coins by the dozens with nails laying in the holes with coins. But over all I like it and it is a toss right now between the F75 and the E.
Good luck with yours and look forward to what ya learn with it.
December 11, 2012 08:46PM
Kevin, what you have experienced from the old lady......
Most of us down here learned a long time ago to try to remain invisible to population at large.
If we talk about CW artifacts, people start seeing dollar signs...even gold rings and such get the same reaction.
So we keep it as low key as we can.
We generally tell the truth but mention that this isn't a hobby where we get rich as sometimes we don't find much or anything.
But when it comes to what we find....we try not to let on what we find since if we show and tell, most will think we find stuff
like that everytime we go detecting.
Many of us will not even post what we find on forums...there are those who may figure out where we are and if they can put
a location and then .....next time out, there is evidence someone else has been there.

Of course you are in a prime location....there are others in your area......that do not care about ethics....
December 11, 2012 09:37PM
Yes, Steve(MS), well said and I concur. Guess what?! I went out today and left my detectors at the house. Now, the Etrac is supposed to be here tomorrow. So I went out today and left the units at the house and went on a mission to find some new porperty. SUCCESS!!!!!! SUCCESS!!! Three new places. Two of which will be good Etrac places. One of those is the old fairgrounds, where the fairgrounds use to be at the turn of the century. It is owned by the county now and I went to the courthouse and had a talk with the powers that be. They told me to have fun. I said that I would, and that I may actually find a few wheat cents if I;m lucky. (of course, I downplayed it....I am hoping for some Etrac found silver coinage). The other place is a 105 year old home with 3 acres of yard that is still mowed. NO SOD! I have talked to people who lived nearby for many many years and they declared that the yard has remained the same. A doctor built the house back at the firts few years of the last century. He had many kids. I have permission to hunt that place as long as I want. The owner siad: "Just as long as I don't turn my ankle in a hole." And then laughed. I am uber-excited. My etrac will arrive tommorow morn at aorund 10 am via UPS. I'll put that sucker together and will not even bother with a test garden. I will start with real world targets. At the old house first. fairground another day. The third place is a VERY old home place with a pile pf chimney brick.
I have had a VERY good day at acquiring new places and will work them thoroughly. May not find a thing....but I'll have fun doing it.