Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question concerning 10.5" coil for cz6a

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question concerning 10.5" coil for cz6a
December 11, 2012 03:26AM
This might be a question for Tom. Having aquired a nice CZ6a I have a few questions. It came with only the 10.5" coil. The coil seems to have a white scuff guard on the bottom. Can this be removed for lighter weight or is it permanently attached? Edit... Found out the answer to that one myself. Finally got it off and it had about 1/2 teaspoon of sand in it... some was black. Retested and can run about 4 or so before I run into EMI in the house.

I am stuck in the house with a broken ankle and can't go outside for a good test, but in the home I cannot get over about "3" sen without it acting up... acts like it's detecting objects that aren't there. I suspect EMI but have had very little problem with it in the home on my CZ3D and AT-Pro. Might be the larger 10.5" coil causing it to pick the EMI more.

If I can get outside one day with some help, how should the CZ6a w/10.5" coil be tested? Where should I set the GB, Sen, etc. and what should I expect from a dime test? I can find the testing for the 6a with the 8.5" coil, but would think the 10.5" coil will at least make some difference as to how to set it for testing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 04:52AM by connortn.
Re: Question concerning 10.5" coil for cz6a
December 11, 2012 04:56AM
first.....get the coil cover("white scuff guard" ) off it may have sand,dirt,debri in it which is causing your problems. after inspecting the coil cover for debris sell it or throw it away, you dont need it.

second.....testing inside is not the best method, tv, computor, cieling fan etc: can all cause emi. if you must do it inside shut all electronic devices off.

third......settings should be something like, gb(10)....disc(0).....sens(4.5-5)......vol(6-10)

you should expect 11-12 inches on a clad dime.

let us kow how it goes/what your new results are.
chuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 04:59AM by seeker41.
December 11, 2012 02:22PM
First and foremost have to get outside to test it.

Second heard of various settings and seekers info is pretty close in most situations however I usually test in the approx. setting I use in the field in my neck of the woods.

If you don't hunt in rocky areas probably don't need the coil cover but it does provide extra protection for the bottom. Best solution I have heard of if you are going to use is to put back on if you didn't break taking off and seal it with a waterproof sealent so no dirt gets inside the coil.

Last but not least buy the stock 8 inch coil as 10.5 really makes the unit nose heavy and well the 8 should give you all the depth you need and will improve the ergonomics of the unit...
December 11, 2012 03:35PM
If you hunt places with even moderate trash get a 8" coil when you get the chance. 10.5 is too busy in trash or close multi targets situations.
December 11, 2012 08:35PM
Something sounds bad about your detector (and/or coil).
December 12, 2012 03:44AM
Thanks for the replys fellows. As I mentioned in my edit of my original post, I have removed the white coil cover. The detector acted a bit better after removing it. It had a fair amount of sand in it, some of it being black. Being that I'm stuck on the couch for several weeks, it just so happens that not 3 feet from me is a wall receptical that has several battery chargers pluged into it including my laptop. I'm suspecting a lot of electrical interference. I can move the sen up to about 4 and sometimes a bit more if I hold the coil in different directions from where I'm stuck. My wife and son are watching over me like two old mother hens and I hate to bother them more just to move somewhere else and test it. With just a quick test as best as I could from where I sit, I could detect a dime at 12+ inches when around 4 or so. No measurements here, just eyeballing it. If it warms up any in the next few days, I'll have them put a chair outside and hobble outdoors to give it a better test.

I really wanted the 10.5" coil as I will be using it for the beach on vacations. The Myrtle Beach area we go to is fairly clean so I figure I can cover ground a bit faster and maybe an inch or two more in depth with it. It sure is nose heavy with it! I'll have to get started on a straight shaft pistol grip mount for it as soon as I recover. I'll have to install my wireless headphone transmitter in it also plus a few other mods. I'll most likely have Tom convert it over to CZ3d specs before next summer. I sold my good CZ3d to Wolfau down in the land of Oz (is that what they call it? ...and why?). I wanted the CZ6a due to it's better weather resistance but still want the old coins to show up as high tone also.

I'll try to pick up a 8.5" coil when I can find a good deal on one. That's what was on my CZ3d and I liked it a lot. If Fisher comes out with a real cow killer of a detector before spring, I may op for it if it will do all the CZ6a will do and hopefully a bit more, but I'm going to work on mine in case they don't release it soon or it's not any better or as good.

Thanks again...

Connortn from the couch
December 12, 2012 11:01AM
I think that til you can get outside with it , all you are doing && asking, will be in vain. Hope you heal soon .
December 12, 2012 03:50PM
Although the larger coil will give you more coverage it just sees more and won't work as well as the smaller coil in wet salt sand conditions...Many hipmount to loose some weight but still going to be nose heavy. Healing takes time but in the near future hope to see you back swinging...