Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ANOTHER military button Identification needed. (now with pics)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ANOTHER military button Identification needed. (now with pics)
December 19, 2012 04:54PM
Using my Deus yesterday in a thick bed of iron, i found an old Indian Head, a Rosie 1964 Dime, and this button front. Now this yard has produced four Civil war bullets. A 69 cal Minie, two 36 cal Teardrops, a 44 roundball, and now..........this button front. Of course, I HOPE that it's a CW general service of some sort. there is still some gold gilting around the rim. The Eagle's head looks to be Union Civil war. But this button is thick....kind of like the new York militia Excelsior buttons. Stars encircle the entire button. It would have looked GOOD brand new. Any help???? I appreciate it immensely. I am going back there today with the Etrac and 5 inch coil. Two tone ferrous. See if I can pull a whole one. Merry Christmas to y'all......whether you can ID it or not. It will go in my button container anyway. I DO need to buy a button book, but everytime I get ready to buy one, I run out of potential CW sites.

I cannot believe that I forgot pics!!!! Thanks Aaron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 06:12PM by Kevin B.
Re: ANOTHER military button Identification needed.
December 19, 2012 06:00PM
Kevin pics?

If you've done your due dilligence w the Deus, don't expect much w the etrac even w the 5" especially if the iron is as bad you say.

You may want to at least try the Etrac in TTF, open screen
Re: ANOTHER military button Identification needed. (now with pics)
December 19, 2012 06:14PM
I am just infatuated with the Etrac. I always carry the Deus. I just get my digging arm ready for action. Any hi tone gets duggeth. ( old Sanskrit Proverb)
December 19, 2012 06:33PM
Thats the face off a Staff officers button Kevin...

It civil war....they are gold gilted ....it's whats called a 3-piece...see where the flat spot is around the outer edge..there was a band that went around it and held the front to the back...

There will not be letters on these Buttons....that's the same button Sherman or Grant,Meade....... Schofield,Butterfield,Hooker etc would of worn....all officer's had them..

Nice find..Officers stayed away from the enlisted men...so usually when you find one there's others in the area...Officers also when camping looked for houses instead of tent's unless they were in very rural areas then they would camp in a portion oif the camp away from the enlisted's..Could this be the spot the Gold coin came from...?Hummmm...

nice find

Keith
December 20, 2012 12:31AM
The gold coin came from an area about two blocks away. In THIS yard, (where this button in question came from) I found two 36 cal teardrop bullets, and a 69 cal Minie. Dropped.
Then WOW!!!!!! I had a great day yesterday!!! Using the Deus, I found an Indian Head (1890 something), a silver rosie (1964) and this button, and a 44 cal round ball. I will work this old home (still standing) over really well. Maybe more buttons. From the tremendous amount of nails in the ground, I am sure that there was an older house here that would have dated back to the CW. The house that is standing there now was built in: 1906 according to tax records. But the house must have been built over an older homesite due to the thickness of the iron in the ground. (THANKS FOR THE ID!!!!!)
Today with the Deus I found a Walking liberty 1940 Half Dollar. A W.O.W token of some type? And a shot 36 cal Teardrop bullet. And a wheatie. This stuff was found at an old homesite that is grown up and in the woods. It is about two hundred yards from where I found the Staff officer button. (I wish the back wasn't missing!)

December 20, 2012 01:36AM
Wow, I love that token, nice finds and they are fun to find too...I know.

If I am ever up your way, I'll stop in and help you find some, LOL.

Please don't get too good with that FBS, it may not be much left after you get through.
December 20, 2012 01:47AM
Steve(MS) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, I love that token, nice finds and they are
> fun to find too...I know.
>
> If I am ever up your way, I'll stop in and help
> you find some, LOL.
>
> Please don't get too good with that FBS, it may
> not be much left after you get through.

Steve, how far down into Mississippi are you?? O assume that the letters MS in your name stand for Mississippi. Anyway, Corinth Mississippi is the place to go to find Confederate goodies!!! My ex-wifle lives down there. We haven't spoke in years and likely never will. It would be JUST MY LUCK if her and her new hubbie (number three) had a Confederate campsite right in their backyard. I'd just have to forget about it. Anyway Steve, be glad to have ya.
December 20, 2012 06:43AM
Hey Kevin, I'll send you a PM, I assumed you were in Corinth from your posts.
I don't venture far from home much these days but it I ever get up to your part of the country, I'll look you up.
December 20, 2012 01:55PM
No, I am 30 miles north and east (more north) from Corinth. I live in the town where US Grant stayed during the battle of Shiloh. In fact, much of my hunting is done within the historical district not too far from where he was stationed (the Cherry Mansion). Yes, look me up anytime. You'd be MORE than welcome!!!!