Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting a hearing aid

Posted by dalpal 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting a hearing aid
December 26, 2012 08:44PM
Has anyone searched for a hearing aid with a metal detector? A person called me to help him find a lost hearing aid valued at about $6000. I tried my G2 but could only detect it at about 2" in all metal with a very choppy inconsistent signal. Way too many competing signals and emi was difficult. I tried my AT Pro with a borrowed hearing aid. It would give a one-way iron tone with zero descrimination. If I rolled the hearing aid over I would two signals, one weak iron and a mid tone. When rolled the aid another 90 degrees I got no signal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,

Dalpal
Re: Detecting a hearing aid
December 26, 2012 09:12PM
if anything could do it it would be the g2! how long ago was it lost? lost in grass, dirt, sand?
chuck.
December 27, 2012 01:22AM
Chuck,
It was lost on a lawn when there was no snow and the ground was soft enough for the hearing aid to sink if it was stepped on. The person who lost it owns a tree service. A large spruce tree tipped over on a house. No damage to the house but he had a bucket truck and some helpers working on the project. We expect about 8" of snow tonight so it will be even harder to search. Probably a lost cause.

Dalpal
December 27, 2012 03:53AM
dalpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck,
> It was lost on a lawn when there was no snow and
> the ground was soft enough for the hearing aid to
> sink if it was stepped on. The person who lost it
> owns a tree service. A large spruce tree tipped
> over on a house. No damage to the house but he had
> a bucket truck and some helpers working on the
> project. We expect about 8" of snow tonight so it
> will be even harder to search. Probably a lost
> cause.
>
> Dalpal

not a lost cause! it would not be deep probably just laying on the surface. very small target, you are probably only detecting the battery. if it gets wet it might be ruined.
chuck.
December 27, 2012 04:11AM
Was wondering about a strong magnet, googled hearing aid exploded view not much in there of any size 2 small circuit boards, tiny copper wire , micro fuel cell and a small microphone.Hope your friend finds it . HH & H new year
December 27, 2012 05:51AM
I would try a Whites GMT or a Goldbug II. Either one should pick up the battery at 4-6".

Cheers
December 27, 2012 06:01AM
turtleman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would try a Whites GMT or a Goldbug II. Either
> one should pick up the battery at 4-6".
>
> Cheers

If a G2 or a GB Pro wont find it neither will a GB 2 or a GMT
December 27, 2012 09:46AM
I wonder if this is a job for a non-linear junction detector (NLJD), used for anti-spying, 'bug detector', normally.
December 27, 2012 02:46PM
Personally my idea would be to test a like battery which may give you a better idea where it might come in on a detector meter. Imagine the fellow would have a spare for you to see....Doubt if you would get much depth so better get it before the snowfall as imagine the wet cold enviroment would probably ruin the unit if it stays unfound for any period of time...
December 27, 2012 10:50PM
I tested my wife's hearing aid with my Teknetics T2se and the 5 inch coil in air. I have EMI in my kitchen and had to lower the sensitivity to 50 to null the EMI out. The disc was 0 and the tones was one. I could detect the aid with battery in at 6 inches. Without the battery I could pick up the aid at 4 inches. With the aid and battery I could not pick it up with the disc at 4. Hope this helps'
December 28, 2012 12:22AM
Thanks for the replies,

I havn't given up and will try again if we get a warm spell. The EMI at the site adds to the problem. My wife has hearing aids so I have them and spent batteries to play with. The idea of the a non-linear junction detector is interesting although with my limited knowedge of electronics I can't tell if it would be useful on the ground. I like a challenge but I have have a reasonable chance of sucess.

Any other suggestions appreciated,

Dalpal
December 30, 2012 10:56AM
Practicing on another hearing aid should help you with locating it ! Good luck !