Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Two times in one day

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Two times in one day
December 26, 2012 09:28PM
I run a basic discrimination pattern with 28-35 blacked out on my Etrac.
First time ever.
I came across a short but some what lengthy high tone that sounded worse the more I hovered over the target.
Switching to an open quick mask changed iffy high tone to a great sound (expected) but the ID numbers were 35-46 (which is always a nail) on the quarter and 35-42 on the dime. But as I began to rotate around the target the feo numbers started to bounce in the 14-18 range, good I thought. Switched back to the discrimination pattern and the audio was better, but a long way from text book sounds. As I continued to rotate the target went back to the original feo numbers. Played around for a good while before deciding to dig. Both these targets were over 6" deep.
Both of these silver coins were in a hole with a small nail about 3" long. Both have a very good high tone from only one direction. Now here is the lesson, whenever you get a high tone that has any length to it, stop and rotate around the target, if the audio improves with rotation change to an open screen and observe what the feo numbers are doing. I'll bet you will increase your silver finds.

See picture here:
[www.thetreasuredepot.com]

A wonderful hunt.
Re: Two times in one day
December 26, 2012 10:52PM
Very true.

((( I demonstrate this on the Inland Coin & Relic DVD....... but the unit used is more-so 'tone' based with no VDI numbers ))).
December 27, 2012 04:53AM
*** Both have a very good high tone from only one direction.***

I've found a lengthwise sweep along a nail is great for driving the Fe way down - usually into DISC'd area and a null. Turning your sweep as you did will get a shot more perpendicular and raise the Fe value. It does seem that when/if the non-ferrous peeks through it has a better tone - not truncated like a wrap-around iron high chirp. When the Fe is driven so low it is disheartening to dig and find something other than silver - so it's great when the decision to dig actually pays off.
December 27, 2012 05:19AM
I agree with Johnnyanglo...sweeping along a nail lengthwise gives "iron" ID on an FBS unit, but sweeping ACROSS some nails will give a high tone...sometimes a pretty good-sounding and good-IDing high tone. For me, it has been, 99.5 per cent of the time, that if a target nulls at 90 degrees and 270 degrees, but gives a decent high tone/ID at 180 degrees and 360 degrees, it is a nail. I rarely dig this type of hit anymore, after time and again proving to myself that these are NAILS; maybe I should a bit more often...

Steve
December 27, 2012 01:09PM
I might add an important part of these two finds.
The audio had a smoothness that is not heard on a typical nail. This was the main reason I stopped to investigate.
I can honestly say it has taken me over a year to hear or for the lack of a better word understand/comprehend some of the audio signals heard.
I used to stop everytime I heard a high tone beep, but now I seem to understand and hear more than just a beep. As a final note, years ago I had a Tesoro Vaquero and can honestly say I could tell by the sound, a pencil eraser end while it was still in the ground
December 27, 2012 01:25PM
Audio intelligence is 'key' to advanced success....... especially in 'hunted-out' places............. to include your own 'hunted-out' places.
Audio intelligence .... vs .... any form of VDI ID display ...... is a world apart.
December 27, 2012 01:30PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Audio intelligence is 'key' to advanced
> success....... especially in 'hunted-out'
> places............. to include your own
> 'hunted-out' places.
> Audio intelligence .... vs .... any form of VDI ID
> display ...... is a world apart.

You are exactly right Tom. Audio first then VDI ID very last thing to observe. This website has, without a doubt, increased my education and knowledge in this great hobby of ours.
December 27, 2012 03:15PM
To be brief time in the field and knowing your unit is where its at...Sure research and tips help but experimenting with the unit in hand equates to more goodies in the pouch and thanks to the forum members that are willing to share to aid one in the operation of the tools of the trade...
December 27, 2012 05:03PM
Ahhh grasshopper, you have begun to let the machine teach you. You are now on the upward learning curve of what that machine can really do. Most never get to that point. I'd venture to say 90 percent never do then they trade it for something better they think. You have opened up a whole new world for yourself. Keep at it and you will see those type audio signals are the norm. Lots of stuff to still be found. Congratulations you are becoming one with the ETrac.
December 27, 2012 07:43PM
Nice post Mark

As I got to use the E-Trac more I backed off on trusting the meter so much. AT LEAST on those hard to get at targets - the meter locks on those easy ones in my ground.

The tones seem to be on another circuit and so it is, in a sense, like getting extra information to base your decision on. Don't get the wrong idea, I am a tone first and second guy but I do enjoy machines with a meter (even when I am hunting in low trash areas).

Something to try if you haven't yet. Instead of blocking out 28 on down, try doing it mostly in the lower right hand corner and see if that changes anything. I eventually went to that on the CTX. I can't say it was any better on the targets I hit, but it wasn't any noisier so I thought less is more with disc.

Albert
December 28, 2012 05:11AM
Thanks MarkG!! I will file that away. I MAY have come across a similar episode a few days ago. I'll have to go back and check. Great post.
December 28, 2012 12:56PM
Hey, Albert, I've got that pattern save and use it in the most iron infested areas. I agree, it changes things, but not sure to what extent.
I'm really enjoying this machine. The only thing that is negative is the weight, after a couple hours my wrist starts to hurt. I'm not really interested in the swingy thing, but really hoping for Fisher to release a multi-frequency machine next year.
I might add that I've actually thought about switching to the V3i. The weight is better and it has a lot of potential for my area. My hunting buddy has demonstrated it can compete and can actually excel in some areas over the Etrac.

earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice post Mark
>
> As I got to use the E-Trac more I backed off on
> trusting the meter so much. AT LEAST on those hard
> to get at targets - the meter locks on those easy
> ones in my ground.
>
> The tones seem to be on another circuit and so it
> is, in a sense, like getting extra information to
> base your decision on. Don't get the wrong idea, I
> am a tone first and second guy but I do enjoy
> machines with a meter (even when I am hunting in
> low trash areas).
>
> Something to try if you haven't yet. Instead of
> blocking out 28 on down, try doing it mostly in
> the lower right hand corner and see if that
> changes anything. I eventually went to that on the
> CTX. I can't say it was any better on the targets
> I hit, but it wasn't any noisier so I thought less
> is more with disc.
>
> Albert
December 28, 2012 02:58PM
Mark - I will hopefully finish my E-Trac mod and update the pics/thread in the next few weeks. Really warm here in Germany so I hope to hunt before things get cold again.

Regarding the V3i and balance, it depends on the person. The V3i is heavier - I weighed both. The box also makes you have to keep it a bit farther from the body - my elboy didn't like that. I MUCH preferred the E-Trac over the V3i, balance wise, but both were bad for longer than 3 hour hunts. I too hated the swingy thingy - but it worked.

Regarding Performance, in my moderately mineralized ground the E-Trac was SUPERIOR (depth wise). I wanted the V3i to be the ticket but it wasn't, at least not depth wise. Was sure a fun machine to use though, but I did get tired of all the settings (- to each his own though). I would say get the machine that is best in your ground. Just remember, you got to have the V3i set up right for it to work optimally and I often left sites wondering if I had (i.e., things like moisture, EMI, etc. can warrant changes in settings.) The E-Trac was just a lot simpler for me and had better performance. At first I loved playing with the V3i's settings though. I do miss the 3 freq pinpoint - boy if Minelab (or Fisher) could somehow integrate a feature like that.

Sitting PATIENTLY waiting for Fishers offering.

Albert