Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Best" Fisher For Most Depth On Silver/Copper Coins? Deepest Coil For Coin/Ring Sized Targets? & A Few Other Questions I Need Answered For A Friend...

Posted by critterhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hello all, hoping you can chime in with opinions here to help guide me on my early searching on the Fisher line up. Right off the bat I want to apologize as I'm rushed for time and won't be able to edit/widdle down this post in a more direct manner. I simply have to be about the door in a minute here and so I just pounded out this post as fast as I could, without eliminating any duplications in questions and such or formatting it better, but here goes...

If you don't wish to share your opinions in public, please feel free to shoot me a PM and offer one on these questions. But, let's all keep in mind opinions are opinions, so nobody should get their nose out of joint just because somebody else has had a different experience *in their soil* should they wish to share it in an open forum. I'm just looking for opinions, any and all here...

A friend of mine has had the good fortune to be coming into some money soon. He is a long time friend among our circle of local hunters, but in recent years he hasn't been out with us due to his beloved Fisher CZ6a going bad. It needs a new meter, which I can solder in for him as I think Fisher sent him one before and he had it fixed. I've offered to do that but he'd like to also explore other options here.

Finances just couldn't afford him to get another machine in these several years, and we've missed his company on many a hunt since then. So it's with great excitement that my friend has asked me to shoot him some info on the two "best" Fishers these days for deep silver. He hasn't kept tabs on what Fisher is up to these days, and I must admit Fishers were never a big interest of mine for various reasons, but he wants to stick with Fisher and I understand that completely.

You always have a warm spot for that one company who's particular machine you had the most luck with. Just like to this day I always carry a torch for Whites based on my love for the QXT Pro, and to a lessor extent the 6000 Pro XL, even though these days I'm a Minelab user as I'm not too happy with the tons of settings needed on a DFX or V3i to max out the performance. The MXT/M6 is a fine machine, but *in my soil* anything above about 8khz in a single frequency detector doesn't get the depth or stability of machines lower in khz, or of course compared to the multifrequency of FBS and BBS.

So, long way to a point- What in your opinion are the two deepest silver killers of Fishers these days? I have read up on the F75LTD and will present that option to him, but one of my concerns is that some find it doesn't get the depth or stability in their soil and also seems to suffer from EMI issues. In terms of some not getting the depths of others with it, again...probably due to the higher frequency I suspect, and is why I never pulled the trigger on buying one, having been burned in the past by other single frequency machines I bought above about 8khz.

So, besides the F75LTD, which of the Fishers would you recommend I present to him as an option? It does NOT have to be a machine lower than 8khz, as that's my personal concern when I shop for a detector and not necessarily his, and besides I know some Fishers have a dual low and higher frequency. Something with a sub-8khz freq and a higher mid-teens or so one might be perfect for our soil and his going after coins and rings, not having the issues with penetration due to our minerals at many land and beach sites.

It would be a double bonus if it's a waterproof unit, as I suspect he might start joining us on our water hunts as well as the land hunts he always showed up for to re-connect with old friends.

So here's a few questions/probable wants...

1) "Deepest" for old coins?

2) How many tones? I forget off hand how many the CZ6a has, so refresh my memory on that any then how many any recommended model you like has. I think he'd like to step up in the tone department as hunting in heavy trash was always a problem for him, avoiding it usually when he could. More tones should help that, without resorting to raising discrimination.

3) What coil options are there for the machine(s) you recommend to max out depth on coin/ring sized targets? Primarily my VERY EARLY impression is that among the deepest machines might be a CZ3D or CZ21? Are larger coils available for those? I *think* I've thus far gleamed the 10.5" coil is the best for max coin/ring sized depth? True?

4) A third option- I am aware some feel the older CZ's, such as the CZ5 or even his CZ6a, are just as deep or deeper than any current Fisher renditions. True to you? If so, is there a larger coil such as the 10.5 that you would recommend he throw on his CZ6a after getting it fixed and not even need to buy another more modern Fisher? That is an option here if you recommend it, but again I'm wondering about the tones...How many on the CZ6a (been years since I've used his CZ6a a bit in the field so I don't remember that), and how many on the others? Any other reasons besides possible depth advantages (or coils to get those depths) of a newer Fisher? What about discrimination ability, as I said he has tended to avoid heavy trash like tree lawns to keep from going too crazy with his CZ6a. Not saying that's true for others, just saying that for him more tones or better discrimination such as perhaps a digital custom notch might help him along those lines.

5) Dankoski's "tuning" enhancement....I've read of this on here a bit but not much into it, as I have said Fishers never for me held much of my attention for various reasons that are needless to go into in this thread, so just saying I could use some info on that. Tuning available for the CZ6a? Should it be done with the coil you decide to use? If so, and you recommend a coil for max coin/ring size depth, which coil would that be and should it be sent in with it? What is the cost of that coil, and what is the cost of tuning the machine? Reason being I'm trying to contrast his cost to do this versus just buying a newer machine with perhaps a larger coil and being done with it. While on topic- tuning available for the newer machines as well? Cost? Coils?

6) Don't forget about the bonus feature, if it's a machine that is waterproof, where he might start joining us for that too, so long as it doesn't trump the depth issue here, as that's his first priority. Second being better discrimination or tones to help with heavy trash. Third being coil options to max out depth. Fourth being possible waterproof machine. Isn't the CZ21, one of my early suspect candidates, available in both a waterproof and non-waterproof version?

That should be way more than enough questions to chew on, and any help I'd be greatful for to zero in on what I want to look up and present to him as his options here. I'm not necessarily looking for one single option (unless you've got one in mind that you feel is the best way to go), but rather two or three options in what he can do, such as just sticking with his CZ6a, having it fixed, tuned/coil/etc type of deal.

Thanks again for your input. I'm only just now digging into the Fisher models to sort things out but your advice would help me to concentrate my research for him. As many machines as I've owned or compared head to head with in the field over the years, my only real experience with Fishers is comparing his CZ6a to my QXT Pro on undug targets in the field, and what little I've heard from others about various other models on the web when it caught my attention, so I've got a lot of research to do here to present him with some streamlined information and links.

By the way, I have been exposed to the F series machines a bit and I'm not a fan at all, and that's beyond even a debate about depth, so that probably rules any of those out. Thanks again for any help you can give me here to help guide him to his options of the "cream of the crop" for deep silver and also for beach, with water hunting being an added bonus if the machine fits the criteria.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 08:41PM by critterhunter.
I say go with the Etrac........;o) Sorry I know this doesnt answer your question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 09:25PM by wjs.
Simply put that CZ6A your buddy has is as deep as you want to dig even with a stock 8 inch coil and always the 10.5 if he wants more coverage plus more depth but he may have to hipmount as it really makes the unit nose heavy...
Didn't know Fisher would send you parts but certainly the cheapest way to go and not miss a beat..

If he is interested in water hunting a CZ21 is as good as any.......and another option is an Excalibur as both excell in both salt and fresh water situations.
For the most part a CZ would be deeper but the Excalibur tones well learned are a plus....

Whoops wjs posted while I was typing and indeed although heavy the Explorer series are excellent units and again well learned the tones are a plus..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 09:40PM by Dan-Pa..
One other thing...Fisher is supposed to be coming out with a new machine here at some point, not sure when, but rumors swirling suggest it may be a CZ-ish type of multi-frequency machine for coin hunting...just a thought...

Steve
Dude, you crack me up every time!

Critterhunter
Right off the bat I want to apologize as I'm rushed for time...

And 1532 words later...

Critterhunter
...if the machine fits the criteria.

P.S., Fisher doesn't send out discrete electronic parts for repair.
to the best of my ability i will take a stab at answering your questions...............

1.......cz3d, f75 with boost process, cz6a

2...........cz3d=?, f75=1,2,3or4(your choice/adjustable) pitch of tones is adjustable also.,cz6a=3

3...............cz3d=10.5, f75=9x11, cz6a=10.5

4..................in high trash areas or areas where the ground is uneven or grass is high the f75 will be best on depth, recovery speed,and seperation. that being said it is lightning fast and in target rich areas the user will get tired very quickly of picking out the good audio(targets) from the bad audio(targets). a cz in open/cleaner areas is at least equal to the f75 as far as depth.

5. .......................tuning is only available for the cz's, coils are switched by the user and to my knowledge do not need to be matched to the detector. a new 10.5 costs about $120.00 aftermarket coils are a crapshoot,might be deeper than stock/might not be as deep as stock.

6. ................................cz3d is not weather proof, weather resistant or waterproof.......cz6a is weatherproof/splashproof depending uppon condition of seals/gaskets........f75's were weather resistant, i don't know about the newer models?

****bonus*****..............................cz20/21 are heavy, bulky and locked in salt mode, not the best land detector.

my advice........fix up that cz6a(fisher has sold me parts!!! sometimes they will/sometimes they wont) and wait to see what fisher comes out with(could be similar to the ctx3030 or atpro with multi freq who knows?) the cz6a could even be converted by tom to a weatherproof/splashproof cz3d!!!!!!!!

just my two cents worth and anyone that wants to correct anything i may have misstated feel free.
chuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 06:47PM by seeker41.
I don't mean for this to be rude, but you must be a " mystery novelists. " All that typing just to ask a couple of simple questions !

MY opinion ;

1. Send his CZ to Fisher & have it fixed. Even if it cost several hundred $$, he will have a top-notch detector that is built like a tank.
2. Add 4" & 10 1/2 " coils to his arsenal.
3. Add a CZ21 , if he wants to water hunt.
Be careful with those weatherproof-splashproof CZ6A's as they have some age on them and rubbers accomplishing this may have deteoriated which could cause problems.
Indeed a good choice for wet weather or saltwater beach situations and understand CZ3D's do not have these abilities as it would add approx. $200 to a new CZ3D price.
As far as Fisher coming out with an improved CZ don't bet on it as CZ's are not large profit units and well the new Fisher/Tech is F series orientated.
Of course just my lowly opinion and we will all know if and when Fisher/Tech's new unit hits the bricks to stay up with the competition...
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful with those weatherproof-splashproof
> CZ6A's as they have some age on them and rubbers
> accomplishing this may have deteoriated which
> could cause problems.
> Indeed a good choice for wet weather or saltwater
> beach situations and understand CZ3D's do not have
> these abilities as it would add approx. $200 to a
> new CZ3D price.
> As far as Fisher coming out with an improved CZ
> don't bet on it as CZ's are not large profit units
> and well the new Fisher/Tech is F series
> orientated.
> Of course just my lowly opinion and we will all
> know if and when Fisher/Tech's new unit hits the
> bricks to stay up with the competition...

Stay tuned!---In the Spring we will ALL know!----I think it's gonna be one that will "knock our socks off"!!!!---This is just my lowly opinion! grin---------Del
go-rebels Wrote:
> Dude, you crack me up every time!
>
> Right off the bat I want to apologize as I'm
> rushed for time...
>
> And 1532 words later...
>
> ...if the machine fits the criteria.
>
> P.S., Fisher doesn't send out discrete electronic
> parts for repair.

Guess you missed it...

critterhunter Wrote:
> Hello all, hoping you can chime in with opinions
> here to help guide me on my early searching on the
> Fisher line up. Right off the bat I want to
> apologize as I'm rushed for time and won't be able
> to edit/widdle down this post in a more direct
> manner. I simply have to be out the door in a
> minute here and so I just pounded out this post as
> fast as I could, without eliminating any
> duplications in questions and such or formatting
> it better, but here goes...

It took me only a few quick minutes to pound out that post, as I know how to type properly/fast, so it wasn't much effort, but didn't have the time to re-work the message to condense it.

You know, forums change and people change, but the one constant in the equation always seems to be you my friend. Much more productive and more satisfying uses of time then always looking to stir something up, one would think anyway. Seems every time I run across one of your posts it's more about fussing around than the topic at hand. That's why most of the time I just scroll right past your posts, but this one I didn't catch in time.

And far as Fisher not providing a part, my friend had got Fisher to send him a replacement meter for his CZ6a in the past, so at least it has happened before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 04:31PM by critterhunter.
Thanks to all who actually had some input on the questions asked. Right now I think we've narrowed it down to the latest version of the F75LTD with the black shaft, which I guess some are calling an SE or LE or something depending on how they list it. Still some confusion as to that though right now, but either way I'm hearing the latest hardware/software version of this machine doesn't have the EMI or mineralization issues of prior models.

One friend has owned 2 or 3 of these machines, and this latest one software/hardwise wise he says has fixed all these issues for him. In our soil he is getting roughly the depth of his SE Pro he says (9 to 10" on a silver dime, which is impressive in our soil even for our Minelabs). With the prior F75 models he owned, he said he couldn't even hunt anywhere in the suburbs and had to head for the woods. No issues with this latest one though. No more prone to EMI now than pretty much any other detector he's ever owned.

It's a shame they've had so many models, with so many software or hardware versions, as I bet that has turned off a lot of potential buyers who got burned with prior renditions of it in the past. He stuck with it though, and it appears it was worth it to him. One of my concerns was the frequency above 8khz, because any single freq machine I ever owned didn't penetrate our minerals too well or have good stability. He had the same experience with all >8khz single freq machines he ever owned, but says this one is punching deep for him.

He says that regardless of the max depth of his SE or the F75LTD, he seems to do better with the F75 because he has trouble keeping him self slowed down with his SE all the time. He prefers a faster sweep as he hunts and for that reason he says the F75 is doing better for him, without worries of masking with the increased sweep speed. Minelabs will unmask with the best of them, but only provided you don't swing the coil like you are launching a golf ball.

He says that F75LTD is allowing him to work (with his faster sweep) one particular high trash area he never could control himself to slow down enough to hunt with other machines in the past, and that he's pulled a ton of silver dimes and wheats out of there. He was very impressed with that.

Other possibilities we are looking into is fixing his CZ6a's meter and putting the 10" Fisher coil on it, but that won't solve his avoidance of trash due to less tone alerts and no numerical target ID, which is another strong reason to go F75LTD for him.

Does anybody know- Isn't it that some CZ6as were able to use the 10" coil and some not based on the pin out configuration? If so, how many pins means what and I'll have him count that on his to see.

We are also still looking into the CZ3D, although it sounds like much the same duplication of his CZ6a feature wise? More tones on a 3D or not? If not, then no real point in one of those I would think.

Sounds like the CZ21 is out from what I'm hearing. Yea, Excaliburs are hard to beat but he's wanting to stick with Fisher, and the CZ21 doesn't look like it's really offering anything feature wise over his 6a, other than being waterproof.

Was looking into the T2 version of the F75LTD, but feature wise that T2 lacks a lot of meat on the bone for coin hunting. I thought the only real difference was the lack of ability to save settings and no night light for the screen, but after looking further into it it's really missing some key features I know he'd want. The less tones than an F75LTD for one thing, at least from what I'm reading.

Thanks again for all the help. I've got several PMs and emails that also offered valuable advice, and this has helped greatly...

PS- Yes, I am hearing rumors of the long awaited new Fisher. He probably won't be pulling the trigger on fixing his machine or buying another Fisher until spring, so maybe that option will pop up if they come out with a new unit. Thanks again...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 04:19PM by critterhunter.
F75 Now EMI Resistant?
January 06, 2013 04:26AM
critterhunter
...I'm hearing the latest hardware/software version of this machine doesn't have the EMI or mineralization issues of prior models.

Where are you hearing this?
Re: F75 Now EMI Resistant?
January 06, 2013 04:53AM
My Buddy sent His F-75 LTD in for EMI issues...got it back and its a totally different detector...

The have been inside the coil for sure by all the epoxy on it...you can run it BP upper 90s fairly easily....

They do Know something...

I heard they built a Cell tower next to the factory and they finally got a taste for the EMI issues so have been trying to combat...

hard to find the problem for a machine sometimes when it does not act up at the tech center...

The cell tower might of been a godsend for Us..

the latest Omega's are EMI free also for the most part...Night and day difference...

they have worked on some pin shielding issues on the coil connector's in the housing...

I really like the HYPER platfrom F.T. has when the EMI is not involved...

Keith
Some fascinating confirmation there, Keith.

Thanks for that...

Steve
January 06, 2013 05:28PM
go-rebels Wrote:
> ...I'm hearing the latest hardware/software
> version of this machine doesn't have the EMI or
> mineralization issues of prior models.
>
> Where are you hearing this?

"One friend has owned 2 or 3 of these machines, and this latest one software/hardwise wise he says has fixed all these issues for him"..................................second paragrah of critters post!!
chuck.
critterhunter
...but this one I didn't catch in time.

And far as Fisher not providing a part, my friend had got Fisher to send him a replacement meter for his CZ6a in the past, so at least it has happened before.

Didn't catch in time... catch in time for what?

Please don't insinuate that FT sends out electronic parts today; they don't. Fisher still repairs CZs (those problems that Tom can't fix), usually for under $100, so it's money well spent to bring an old unit back to life. Just call FT and ask to speak with Felix.

My good friend Critter, how's that for staying on the topic at hand?
January 06, 2013 08:12PM
Hey Chuck, when I begin to believe all that Critter writes, I might as well become unemployed, shave my head and sell white hoods to solicit money for the Ayran Nation. I need a little more evidence to be convinced that what he writes is factual.

It's one thing to fix a defective unit; it's entirely another thing to improve a platform due to a design (software/firmware/hardware) change.
go-rebels, kieth confirmed what critter said so......critter was right and you were wrong!!!!!! i don't know if anyone else feels this way but your obsession with critter, critters posts, critters life, is getting very annoying, predictable and boring. if you dont have anything nice to say then say nothing........please!
chuck.
January 07, 2013 03:50PM
I just spoke with Fisher today by phone.

1) Fisher has made no improvements in hardware / firmware / software that would mitigate the effects of EMI comparing the early F75 LTDs to the newer F75 SEs. Their only change has been improved sealing of the 11" DD coil to minimize the likelihood of water leakage.

2) Fisher does not ship discrete electronic components for repair.

-----

Facts can be stubborn things.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I would think EMI can come in many forms and flavors ( ie, source, frequency, etc.) and if so, wouldn't it be prudent to have a frequency check option on all units ( like the Infinium and Minelabs have) where one can go through a range of frequencies and pick the one that is the least offensive ( for lack of a better term) ?

I know when using my Infinium on the beaches here in NJ, there are a lot of EMI sources, and when going through the frequency check at one beach and selecting where on the dial the least amount of interference occurs, it can be different at another beach ( due to a different 'brand' of EMI). Same with doing a noise cancel with my E-Trac.

Can't remember...does the F75 have a frequency check/noise cancel option or is the only remedy lower sensitivity and other adjustments like running in DE vs BP ?

I am off base in the assumption that EMI can come in multiple forms/flavors ?

Also, it could be possible that the correcting of the coil on Keiths friends unit, was the only thing needed and there was nothing done to upgrade any hardware/software. If so, then that is good to know. Can the coil be a direct cause of the unit not working correctly and picking up inordinate amounts of EMI due to lack of shielding ?
Yes, the F75 offers "Frequency Shifting" allowing the manual choice of (7) different frequencies.

Yes, EMI comes in different forms/flavors (frequencies/intensities).

Yes, a defective coil could cause all kinds of problems, some of which might be construed as EMI related. A good coil corrects the instability problem (EMI problem) and brings the F75 back to factory specs / design intent, albeit with the architecture's known susceptibility to normal levels of EMI.
seeker41 Wrote:
> go-rebels, kieth confirmed what critter said
> so......critter was right and you were wrong!!!!!!
> i don't know if anyone else feels this way but
> your obsession with critter, critters posts,
> critters life, is getting very annoying,
> predictable and boring. if you dont have anything
> nice to say then say nothing........please!
> chuck.

Thanks for the support my friend, but I don't take it real personal like, as I'm just his latest person to try to stir some trouble up with. I've seen him do it to others in various forums. Seems to get something out of it. Heck, from time to time he even tries to re-launch the old battles he's had with key figures on yet another website that he's not on anymore. When you continue to open old wounds they just never heal. I skipped right over his latest posts as I often do to avoid even being tempted to get pulled into his little wars, but your post obviously had his quotes in it so I ended up catching what he had to say this time around. Life's too short is the way I look at it...

Want to thank everybody for the latest info on this machine. It's very informative and useful to both me and my friend I'm researching for, as we are both potential customers for this machine.

The sad thing is that I feel Fisher has shot themselves in the foot by constanstly changing names, hardware, and software to get things right. Yes, better to fix things as you go than not at all, but on the other hand they should have worked out the EMI/mineralization thing long ago with the beta testers in the field long before it was released to the public. Seems hunting around houses would be just as important to test out as hunting in the deep woods, in order to see how both the machine and coil options used with it act under higher EMI situations. I'm just glad to see they are aknowledging and fixing the problem.

I don't really have much of a problem with their attempts to do so. Far better to do this in various steps, even if they are confusing steps, than to just let the problem continue. My main complaint is they shouldn't have been naming this special edition F75s various odd things, as that only leads to further confusion. They should have just kept the name F75LTD (maybe they have?) and designated differences in hardware and software via a simple "Hardware version 3. Software Version 5" on power up of the screen so as to clearly indicate just which model people have, and which is the latest model. That kind of info should be posted clearly on their website, as I feel they've done nothing but frustrate and confuse people to giving this machine a second chance, or even to motivate new buyers to try it out. Who is going to buy a detector, new or used, if they don't know exactly what the latest hardware/software version is? And, if they want to win back former buyers, I think they should upgrade any software or hardware for prior models free of charge. Maybe they already do that? Anybody?

Point being this machine might finally, in the last year or so, be living up to the hype and expectations to hold it's own with the best of the silver killers on the market today, but the mass of confusion about software/hardware versions I feel is probably pouring cold water on that fire that might blaze through detecting circles with it's current abilities I'm hearing hints to from my friend and a few others.

Here's all I can offer version wise right now- His latest F75LTD was purchased I think about a year or so ago, and as said this model allowed him to hunt around EMI where his prior one or two versions would not, and the only way he could hunt with those was way off in the woods far away from EMI. But, he just told me he's got the latest version of this machine coming this week. Yet another upgrade. I figure it's at least a software upgrade but don't know if they'd also changed the hardware still more yet. Once I get the exact software version, hardware cosmetic details of it, and what Fisher is actually calling the machine on power up or by label on the unit, I'll report back with all this info for those who are interested. I'm also anxious to hear if the EMI thing, even though he said it was fine with the last one he had, has got even more smoothed out, though he said the last one wasn't really any more prone to EMI than any other machine he's owned over the years for the most part.

PS- The Fisher/sending you parts thing- My CZ6a friend says Fisher's sent him new pin point buttons to install himself. Maybe it's a "depends on who you call or when you called" type of deal, and perhaps these days they are less prone to do such a thing. No point in pushing it further, as my friend nor I have an ax to grind on this point. What's the point in lying about such a thing anyway? Far more important things to lie about...:')

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 04:06PM by critterhunter.
January 11, 2013 06:43AM
go-rebels Wrote:
> I just spoke with Fisher today by phone.
>
> 1) Fisher has made no improvements in hardware /
> firmware / software that would mitigate the
> effects of EMI comparing the early F75 LTDs to the
> newer F75 SEs. Their only change has been
> improved sealing of the 11" DD coil to minimize
> the likelihood of water leakage.
>
> 2) Fisher does not ship discrete electronic
> components for repair.
>
> -----
>
> Facts can be stubborn things.

Go reb, facts are also not necessarily what people say they are. Even coming from the horse's mouth.

There seems to be a growing amount of anecdotal evidence from experienced detectorists that something has contributed to a major EMI improvement in the newer F75s.

If what Keith Southern has heard is true, isn't it ironic that something as random as a newly constructed cell phone tower by the First Texas factory led to the correction of a major issue with the newer FT detectors?

FT denying improvements that were indeed made in more recently manufactured detectors wouldn't surprise me at all.

FT treated me very well when I had detector issues and several individuals from Dave Johnson on down took a personal interest and went the extra mile to help me. So I have a lot of respect and appreciation for them and their fine company.

But always remember that business is business and business is in business to make money. If FT admitted to improvements in those newer units, a whole lot of folks who otherwise wouldn't be complaining would be wanting their F75s and T2s upgraded, and widespread upgrading of older detectors is a money losing proposition not to mention a service nightmare for any detector manufacturer. I remember all the complaining when the boost process came out for the F75 and quite a few owners of the original F75s were incensed that FT wouldn't upgrade their earlier detectors with the boost process.

Critter, you're right about the confusing naming the various versions of the F75. Wonder who was the marketing genius who decided the name of the F75 LTD (Limited Edition - the camo one) should be changed to the F75 SE (Special Edition - the black one) when the original pre-boost F75 was clearly called "Special Edition" right on the box?

Also, you asked about the CZ-3D and its differences form the other CZs. The biggest thing is it has an enhanced mode for old coins. In brief, since older coins often hit at a lower point in the conductivity scale than their modern counterparts, the enhance mode widens the high tone lower end so that older coins that otherwise would hit with a lower tone, will hit with a high tone. That's a very simplistic explanation, Tom could no doubt explain it better. As I understand it, he was intimately involved in the making of the CZ-3D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 06:44AM by marcomo.
There are two type of spammers on this forum: the guys who sell knockoff purses and the guys that post questions, often from ‘a friend’, that have a basis not founded in fact. Critter, my good friend, you are the second type of spammer.

You had many questions on the FM CTX3030 forum when it was first created as you were ready to pull the trigger... so many questions ‘ad nauseum’ that your Dad, the Guvner, had to ban you from that forum. You claimed some of the "see through" capabilities that that machine seemed to possess were false, denying what owners were seeing even though you never touched the machine. Then you had a burning interest to buy an AT-Pro, if only a few dozen questions could be answered to your satisfaction. Guess you’re still on the fence with that machine.

Now you have an interest in the F75 LTD/SE (oops, sorry, a ‘friend’ has an interest), a machine you previously ruled out. OK, if only all the software / firmware / hardware versions could be ironed out, then you might be interested. That’s the catch… there is no plethora of versions; that has been confirmed by Tom and others. Responses on your identical question posted on FM bear that out. But don’t take my word; knock yourself out.

The Vista line may have raised the bar regarding see through capability around iron. It's a unique time metal detecting today with potential breakthrough technologies appearing on both the digital and analog fronts. I applaud the slow but steady release of new product through 2013.
January 15, 2013 12:25PM
I kinda doubt that the newly constructed cell tower has had any influence on the development, or improvement of FT product. Years ago I worked as a research engineer for Toledo Scale and we had an EMI-proof anechoic chamber... one build not to shield from sound noise but a metal chamber meant to shield from EMI. Within this room we would test the EMI susceptibility of new scales using a variable power / variable frequency EMI generator. It could produce white noise output, sinusoidal output or square wave transients. These EMI generators are fairly inexpensive (much less so than the cost of the test room) and I would hazard a guess that all metal detector manufacturers, including FT, have such a generator to test machines.
LATEST F75 "Special Edition" Model (Or Whatever You Want To Call It)...
January 24, 2013 04:55PM
OK, a friend just got the latest version of this machine (the F75 special edition, LTD, or whatever you want to call it), and he made darn sure it was the latest version in both software and hardware. Hopefully this will help to clear up all the confusion on all these endless software/hardware versions that seem to have come out over time in an attempt to fix EMI or mineralization issues.

He said the prior latest model he bought about a year ago or so seemed to have fixed the EMI issues with his prior units and he thought it was a fantastic machine, but just the same he wanted the latest and greatest model that is out now. This initial message from him here might get a bit confusing, but if you scroll down to the last 2 messages he gets right to the point about just what this latest model he just bought a few weeks ago says in both hardware/software versions. I seperated the messages with a line to make them more distinct from each other...

----------------------------------------------------

All F75's work well........That is a fact.

#1.. Black and Gold Unit... Has Tones and Process modes. Does not have the extra Dp and cache modes.
This unit will hit dime size targets to 10" with ease. The processor is rapid fast recovery, and many thought it had Problems. NOT SO.. it just saw targets under the coil faster than any prior machine by any company. So it beeped a lot LOL

#2. Camo colored F75 LTD ... Added the two extra modes. All else worked the same. Did develope a few EMI Issues and pulsed a lot when near wires, Micro waves etc..... Hard to hunt schools with Puter outside antennas.. Lots of noise at average to high sens settings. Turned down to 40 or 45 hit dimes to 7" easily.

#3. All Black (SE) deemed special edition because it was a rerun of the Camo with revisions made in the software.Painted all Black. 500 made per some sources. This is when somewhere mid stream Processors were changed from one company to another by Fisher...
Revisions were made to smooth out the operation. Some worked, some didn't. Fisher had issues with bad coils and many were replaced.

It has always been suspected coils were made in Mexico ( NOT PROVEN) But never denied by Fisher either.. ????

Some claim Se is the better unit. I found the LE latest revision is best in our dirt. Yes the Le air tests a little lighter on inches from the coil for Target ID.. That said in the ground I have hit 12 " coins.. Far less EMI Issues in schools, and some other areas I have used the machine. I run about 85 sens and a little higher Disc than most do.

One issue I noticed.. F75 LTD LE Version does like old 1960's pulltabs and will almost always ID them as a coin when they are 7 8 inches in the ground. Nothing I have ever set changed this isssue. So I live with it..Always hoping it is a deep Barber..and sometimes it is..

F75 is not the perfect machine ..It is however a deep detector that has a light weight, and one can swing it for long periods.

For me it works, due to the weight..and still very deep recovery possibilities.

For me the weight is the big factor. I can swing it all day. I can swing the F75 as fast as I want and this even enhances the detectors depth. It's made to swing shoulder to shoulder at a rapid rate...

It takes time to get the most out of a F75, and one has to use it for a period of time to understand what it is doing as far as detecting coins.

F75's are good solid hunters that produce. For me they work best, and I like using them. Others do not like them. Only you will know when you try a 75 if it is for you....

----------------------------------------------------------

The F75 original is black and Gold colored.

The next release was Camo LTD edition..about 500 made They say
Next was a Special edition run SE Some tweaks to the software and maybe a new processor supplier. All Black

****Last edition is the LE 7A revision Turns on says LE check revision Hold button and press trigger forwaRD WHILE TURNING ON IT SAYS 7a....****

Don't hold much stock in the versions. Small tweaks made by engineering as the machine progresses in it's evolment. SE and Le on versions seem to be the biggie as far as more or less EMI Machines.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****(More info on the latest F75 just bought a few weeks back...)****

It says Special Edition on the arm cuff. That is arm cuffs in stock from SE Editions and all proir editions
At turn on it says LE that is the latest edition In the revision it says 7A..That is the latest software edition the rods, and body are all black...

Says F75 on the black 11 "coil and F75 on the 5" White round coil.

Trust me I have the latest edition I drove the dealer nuts making sure I got wat I wanted...

Make Fisher F75 LTD
Software version LE
Weight 3.5 LBS with 4 AA Batteries installed

11" DD Coil 11 9/16 long X 7.5 inches wide
5" DD coil ..Exactly 5" round

Machine has Boost Power Process & Cache Process included. Also has Discrmination, and All Metal Mode Plus a Static All Metal Mode for Relic Hunting deep large items 12" and deeper. Fastgrab Auto Ground Balance with Manual GB in All Metal if one desire to perfect GB for an exact area.........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of his quotes. He's letting me borrow this unit when the weather permits so my CZ6a friend and I can try it out to decide if we both want to pick one up for ourselves. I'm curious to see how it compares head to head to our Minelabs in our mineralized soil and if I like what I see I may add one to my line up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 05:00PM by critterhunter.
I have the first model that came out, it's called the anniversary addition hence "75". There will always be a place in my heart for that unit, sounds corny, but true.

Liked it so much, I contemplated getting the newest version but my gut says to wait to see the new Fisher. I had a coil problem and they sent me a new one, now I think that coil (2 years later) is letting moisture in, I hope that's all it is, haven't tested it with another coil yet.

The thing is hopped up. To use a term Keith S. uses "it's sparky".

Hope you enjoy the 75 critter, and don't judge too quickly.