Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Time to hang up the detector for the winter here... how about you?

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Time to hang up the detector for the winter here... how about you?
December 28, 2012 11:24PM
Nine inches of snow on the ground and getting close to zero degrees at night now. The ground here is frozen so no more detecting for me... and no travel plans forseen.
Time to kick back and see if any new detectors show up this winter or early spring (hint, hint, Fisher). I had a great year detecting that old golf course converted to a park.
378 silver coins/2 gold wedding bands, 1 gold class ring/29 silver rings and jewelry/quite a few indian heads/several V nickels/and a coffee can of wheat cents all from that
same place. And still vast areas to detect there yet!

Hope all of you bound by Winter had a great season!
Re: Time to hang up the detector for the winter here... how about you?
December 28, 2012 11:33PM
Not quite yet, expecting some snow tomorrow but the ground here in SE Pa is not frozen, yet. Golf course was good to you, glad to hear that Lip.
December 28, 2012 11:55PM
Lot of silver congrat's..

Dont hang the detector up here In GA...Detect year round...Actually starting next week it goes full force,,,Deer seasons ends on the First...

Keith
December 29, 2012 01:12AM
Ground not frozen in Virginia yet.
December 29, 2012 01:31AM
GREAT job mining that old golf course, Lip! That thing has given up a TON of goodies to you!

Ground is frozen a bit here in OK with a little snow, but you NEVER have to hang up a detector for the whole winter, here. A few days at a time is about all...

Steve
December 29, 2012 01:45AM
My detecting season is just starting here in SC. Soft earth, no fire ants or other critters makes this a perfect time to dig. If only work would allow me a little more free time. Damm the Pessamists; the North American auto industry is booming right now.
December 29, 2012 01:54AM
Booming U.S. auto industry? Slit the throats of the bond holders, and inject billions in taxpayer dollars, and I'm not surprised... smiling smiley

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming! smiling smiley

(I couldn't resist...) smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2012 01:54AM by steveg.
December 29, 2012 02:25AM
Just getting started here in NoCal. Rattlesnakes are sleeping,and ground is soft. Looks like I may have access to old ghost town/ mining camp area,so things are looking good!
December 29, 2012 02:29AM
Frozen ground? Not here in FL. Temps are perfect for detecting.
December 29, 2012 02:46AM
Going strong here in Tennessee. Well, is the rain would let up. We have had almost an inch in the last 24 hrs. Today, the lady whom I have sit with momma came today since it's friday, and her scheduled day. This morning, It wasn't raining when I loaded up the Deus and Etrac. But I hadn't looked at the weather and didn't realize that I would never make it out of my drive. It started raining and has steadily increased in duration and intensity. Water is standing in places where I have never seen it stand before. But no matter.....I am going tomorrow if I have to throw a sump pump into each hole after I remove the plug. I have wiped down my detectors. Air tested them. Looked at youtube videos about them. But there is NOTHING like actually going and just doing it. I genuinely sympathize with you folks who have winter to contend with to the point where detecting is impossible. (Watch it snow here tomorrow and not let up until the temp drops to 19 for about a month).
Anyway...I HOPE to get to go tomorrow. I have it REAL bad right now. I've been in a foul mood all day.
December 29, 2012 03:58AM
Great job on the old golf course.
Got some snow on the ground here in Ohio but the ground isn't frozen yet. I hunted in the snow Thur. at an old ghosttown site and found some buttons and a 1853 LC. But the weatherman says possible 4" to 6" tonight so that will probably shut me down for good.
cd
December 29, 2012 04:42AM
You guys are killin' me smiling smiley
Good luck over the winter months!
December 29, 2012 11:35AM
I am fortunate living here in Fl. where I can detect most all year. Some mornings are too cold for me, but that isn't often. I did see a Cottonmouth the other day, but he was " lazy " & sunning himself , so we walked around him.
December 29, 2012 01:10PM
its OK in the UK ,fields are sodden from too much rain ,but its business as usual .but heavy snow could appear in the coming weeks
December 29, 2012 02:01PM
Hey lipservice i feel your pain brother, being up here in maine and just had 10" of snow SUCKS i'm just glad i'm not 50 miles north there's 2 feet on the ground.
December 29, 2012 02:32PM
Yup... this morning sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2012 02:36PM by Lipservice.
December 29, 2012 03:05PM
Worked on my snow shovel swing two days ago and a repeat today so come on Spring.

All about location and you fellas down South keep swinging as in N.E. Pa. the end is here.

Sort of got spoiled with a mild winter last year but not expecting a repeat...
December 29, 2012 08:27PM
But even with the harsh Northern winters, y'all have a deeper and longer history. I wish that I could detect around Plymouth rock and find the old grubbing hoe that they used to bury fish to fertilize the popcorn.
December 29, 2012 09:19PM
that we do but i would think really jamestown has got us beat
January 01, 2013 02:32PM
Here in Maine it is 15 degrees outside dropping into the single digits at night. There is about 10" of snow on the ground and the ground is frozen. It will be 3 months at the earliest before my next hunt.
January 01, 2013 04:48PM
Minus 17F this AM

Happy new year.
S. Padre in March for my first salt beach run.

I spent most of the last year in the woods and on the freshwater beaches as the park dirt was rock. Beaches here are interesting. Layered you know. Layer 1= sawmill~1850-1910. Layer 2= tourist camp.1930-1950. Layer 3=public beach~1950-1970. Layer 4=keggars/parties 1970-1977.

Great challenge!!

Pete
January 01, 2013 04:58PM
Year round on the Texas gulf coast, hit the beaches when the northers push the tide way out. I just need the rain to quit for the parks and other older sites,lots of rain this winter, we got 2+ inches yesterday and last night, if if doesn't let up i'll need to get a water machine.
Well... Missouri Is A Mixed Bag Of Tricks.......
January 01, 2013 06:24PM
I usualy hunt anytime the ground is not frozen hard. Dress warm and I can stand it to the Mid 30's. We have had fairly mild winters here for awhile. I can go 60-70 miles south to Arkansas to a buds and the temp is sometimes 10 degrees warmer!!!!
January 03, 2013 06:07AM
Found my first gold on Dec 21 here in Oklahoma at my favorite site, a hill behind a mansion used by locals for sledding for years. Temps were on the upper 50s/lower 60s. Two days later it was down in the 20s and we're stuck there! We have been having extremely mild winters the last few years but Jan/Feb are usually too cold to hunt. However it's unlikely that we will miss more than a month or so due to cold. I'm seeing forecasts calling for upper 40s and lower 50s soon. I've probably canceled more hunts due to threat of tornadoes and lightning than for snow! Still, now's a good time to clean finds and service my equipment. I'll hunt if at all possible whatever the case!
January 05, 2013 06:01AM
Best part of the year, found a gold ring today .
January 06, 2013 01:44AM
Snow & cold has hit here in MI too - I hunted rgt up until 2 days b/4 christmas but then the snow hit and the ground has since froze. They're saying temps in the 40s during the day and above freezing at night come this week so if the ground thaws - I may try to get a hunt or 2 in before it dips below freezing again. If not - I'll have to wait for a few weeks until the Feb thaw hits and see about getting out at that time. March is usually the time we can start getting back out here & there in MI. For 2 solid months it usually shuts down here (Jan/Feb) but with the weather being a bit different these days - it's anybody's guess - last yr the ground never even froze beyond 2 inches deep and we had no snow 98% of the winter!

Good luck to those who can hunt all winter and here's hoping for an early spring/thaw for the rest of us :-)

HH
January 08, 2013 12:55AM
the same here in Maine!
January 08, 2013 03:19AM
I'm up in Maine, we got 2 feet of snow and it's get to be about 30 degrees for the high, I just go to the beach, the wet sand is still diggable, dry sand isfrozen
January 08, 2013 11:58AM
hey there Caretaker thats one thing i don't do well in is beach hunting everytime me and pulltab head down to old orchard aluminum slaw and tabs all over the place maybe a penny or too no jewelry yet cripe i do better in tot lots than the beach