Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another ML increase??

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Another ML increase??
January 02, 2013 09:21PM
I knew there were going to be various opinions....and thats what everyone is expressing. Sorry you think the thread i started should be closed. What i do is just stop reading the thread if it no longer interests me.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2013 09:44PM by dewcon4414.
January 02, 2013 09:46PM
I never understand why self proclaimed free market supporters complain about pricing. If it's too high, don't buy it - then you've exercised your free market power.
January 02, 2013 09:56PM
Just frustration, Shambler, is all...that's why some complain. I would LOVE a new CTX3030, but I can exercise my option not to pay the price being asked, so, I have -- I won't buy one!

But, having said that (and I will not say any more after this, as it will veer the discussion political again), we do NOT live in a "free market." We haven't in a LONG time (did we ever?) Government bailing out businesses (some, but not others, I may add), government-subsidized companies and segments of the economy, corporate monopolies, oil cartels, etc. etc. etc. That is NOT a free market...not by ANY stretch...

But, I digress...

Steve
January 02, 2013 10:44PM
Shambler.... you are correct not to buy one. But..... if i complain and explain why im dissatified with a second increase and their not willing to address fixable issues, then i might affect others on the fense or who didnt know. Then how many do you think wont buy? Companies feel the pressure.

Dew
January 02, 2013 11:16PM
The state governments of Ohio and Pennsylvania (maybe others too) subsidized the construction of private toll roads throughout their states (great hunting locations if you can find unpaved sections) in the early 19th century. Then we had the huge Federal expansion begun under that tyrant named Lincoln. Following the Civil War the Feds heavily subsidized the construction of railroads out West. Today the South Korean government subsidizes steel sheet metal and aluminum castings used in your favorite Kia and Hyundai; China's direct support of steel forging, casting and stamping tools has decimated the North American tool construction industry located in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

We're sunk should the U.S. government take a hands-off policy regarding private business.

Now to find more die breaks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 04:06AM by go-rebels.
January 03, 2013 01:11AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ive been watching a thread on findmall about the
> increase in price on the Xcal in Jan. Also more on
> some sites like this...
> [placerlode.net]
> ow/
>
> This has to be another ML push for money. Just
> plain supply and demand. They stopped the Sov and
> Exp are they trying to make it up? Or is it
> another marketing way to get you to get off the
> fence and buy one before Jan because they know
> they dont have anything new coming out.... but
> others do. If they get your money first ..... you
> wont have it after the new year when we KNOW new
> machine will be issued by other companies?
> Smart.... but im not biting because i know if
> nothing comes out i like then i could easily make
> it up out there IF i wanted an Xcal again. There
> prices keep sneaking up.... is this the new trend?
> For those on the fence .... think about it.
>
> Dew

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
What I heard, they dropped the Sovereign GT because it is a anolog unit and cost to much to make,,,the Excal is the same,,,so raise the price or stop making it......

I have heard that Fisher would like to drop the CZ,, because its not a big money maker....
S
January 04, 2013 12:04AM
I got off the fence and bought a CZ20 and I'm loving it, believe it or not, it took me 6 months off and on to figure it out, boy I'm a slow learner , 6 months on the AT Pro, I've had my XLT for 9 years now and still learning it, I need a teacher haha
January 04, 2013 11:33AM
I believe what we are seeing is a shift to higher priced machines. Give us a few bells and make it more complicated so we are impressed.... then throw a huge price increase at us. Next step... eliminate our line of detectors that can compete with the high priced ones. Im afraid we are a long way from seeing the electronic curve we see in other items like the TV where pricing is now more reasonable. Could be like buying a new car.... many who used to buy new all the time now has to buy one a year or 2 old..... just more pratical. Or there is going to have to be an advantage to buy.... like warranty.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 11:36AM by dewcon4414.
January 04, 2013 02:31PM
I disagree. I think what we are seeing is more choices, and increasing power at lower cost. Garrett in particular offers units that are true value units. The Ace 250 is an amazingly good little detector for the price. The AT Pro and AT Gold are similar price leaders in what they offer in a waterproof unit. First Texas also has some very good values at a low price. I always thought White's could have got more money for the MXT. It is one heck of a performer for the price.

My first detector in 1972 cost $200 had no discrimination or ground balance and on a good day could find a coin about 3" deep. $200 was a lot of money in 1972 and that was one of the best detectors available, a White's Coinmaster IV.

So I think what I see now for $200 is pretty amazing, especially since $200 is not worth nearly what it was 40 years ago.

There is also room and I applaud any effort to produce premium products. Some units, like water units, are niche products, and producing good detectors for a limited market generally means higher prices. Water units not only are niche units, but are more expensive to produce, warranty, and service. Prospecting machines are another niche market, and Minelab has proven people will pay a lot of money to get the best performance possible.

There are plenty of options out there, and lots of competition. If one manufacturer gets too pricey and others offer competitive product at lower prices that manufacturer will lose sales. But if they have better technology and can charge for it, more power to them. You at the end of the day drive the market by voting with your pocket book.

I doubt that the Excalibur, hailed by many as one of the best all around choices in a water machine, will suffer many lost sales with a MAP price of $1499. Though I must admit that after shelling out $5000 for a GPX 5000 almost anything else seems cheap by comparison!

Steve Herschbach
Find me on Facebook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 05:29PM by Steve Herschbach.
January 04, 2013 05:52PM
Steve H
I doubt that the Excalibur, hailed by many as one of the best all around choices in a water machine, will suffer many lost sales with a MAP price of $1499

You're right. They will actually gain sales revenue because I bet the supply and demand curve intersect exactly at that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 05:54PM by Shambler.