Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Initial CZ-70 Pro tests/impressions

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Initial CZ-70 Pro tests/impressions
July 14, 2009 03:28AM
Albeit a bit heavy with the 10.5" coil, I think the CZ-70 Pro with it's pistol grip is comfortable to swing, like the identical C$ setup.

I ran the CZ-70 Pro through a variety of air tests to establish depth baselines, as well as TID accuracy. Had it set to 4 and 6 sens, didn't see a lot of difference between the two. GB was set to 5, and nothing notched out (although did find that the PRESET mode does a good job of knocking out trash, but also eliminates almost any chance of gold jewelery).

The first test was a variety of 50 nickels that included a mix of V's, Buffalo's, and Jefferson's (new variety included). The 10.5" AND the 5" coils ID'd 100% of the nickels correctly. Excellent, off to a good start. Depth was around 10"+ on the 10.5" with slightly less on the 5" coil at about 7"+ (impressive).

In addition to the nickel test, I tested another 150+ targets including foreign coins, silver and gold jewelery, and a large variety of US coins including gold, silver, copper, nickel, clad, zinc, etc. Everything effectively hit where I thought it should, only disappointment is that (like almost all machines) IH cents ID as zinc pennies, I thought they'd ID in the relic/old coin segment (is there any way to retune target responses?). I don't have a $5 gold Indian, but I do have an 1892-S Liberty Head $5 gold coin and a 1945 Mexican Dos Pesos gold coin. The Liberty Head $5 gold coin read in the relic/old coin segment (good sign) and the Mexican coin read as a nickel, another good sign as I'd dig both targets.

I'm hoping to more effectively hunt city parks that up to now have been challenging due to EMI, and to some extent mineralization (more EMI). I understand the CZ's are practically immune to EMI and I believe multi-freq machines tend to be more stable in mineralization (not extreme) then single frequency technology. That, in addition to depth on par with the Explorers make the CZ-70 look like a good fit for this challenge. I should have it out for a test drive tomorrow, just not sure where yet smiling smiley

hh,
Brian
Re: Initial CZ-70 Pro tests/impressions
July 14, 2009 12:43PM
Brian,

1. You're lucky; you have a good-impedance 5" coil.
2. Time permitting; read CZ-70 articles, esp in the "Fisher Intelligence".
3. If possible, hunt w/Sens on a setting of '6'.
4. You will find the deeper 'relic tones' targets of interest. (IH quest resolved).
5. The 10.5" coil will surprise you.
6. By the time the gold Indians were coined; they virtually never made it into circulation. You're more apt to find the older generation Liberty's.

Tom
July 14, 2009 03:31PM
I had a CZ70pro in the gold country and it had a real bad time in iron and high trash. it was a bit heavy I liked the CZ3 better and now I only hunt with the F75.

I use to have a lot of detectors and then sold them and learned the F75 and would only but the next new fisher unit when and if it comes out. The more time I spend on the F75 almost three years the more I realize that it is a great machine.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 14, 2009 10:05PM
Tom - Thanks, I've read the CZ-70 Articles in the "Fisher Intel" report, great reading that should (hopefully) reduce the learning curve (am a bit worried about the deep iron "issues"). I'll try to run a sens of 6 so long as it's not too noisy. It does look like I got lucky on the 5" coil, it never wavered on the nickels and seemed to have decent depth while air testing. Now I'll see how the CZ-70 does in the field.

Lawrenzo - I agree the F75/70 are for the most part great machines. Unfortunately they tend to fall down in certain heavy EMI environments. I see you recently had a post of F75 EMI issues, and I've seen many other posts as well as experienced it myself. They still work, but usually at a greatly reduced sensitivity which of course equates to loss of depth. I'm really looking for something that can handle the EMI of Sutro Tower at the old parks in SF while still getting Explorer like depth. If everything I've read is correct, the CZ-70 & CZ3D both excel in EMI compared to most other machines. If it can handle Sutro Tower, it should do well just about anywhere I've had trouble with EMI, so another useful tool will be added to the arsenal.

hh,
Brian
July 15, 2009 02:33AM
Yes sad but true if the EMI was not a problem I would have a lot of relics but like Tom said even no another doesn't seem to be having a poblem with EMI is may still be effecting the machine....So you may be right with the F70 pro...I would like to see a new machine do it all.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!