Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week
January 03, 2013 04:21AM
Hit a camp site today and the Boost mode option is really proving itself...

the machine is way powerful in boost.....

I can run it in nomal and some hit's will high tone weakly....flip on the boost and good hard iron grount comes in...dig it up to make sure and it's iron...

The Boost really makes the 10 inch layer come alive even with the airgaps of pinestraw....

I pulled 43 non-ferrous target's today (a few were keeper's) out of a site that was usually giving up 3-4 target's in a hard hunt...

I still cant believe the depth the 25kHz is achieving in ground at depth on coin size objects and smaller that are low conductor's...

couple Boost with Slow and a site will really wake up...

did manage to hunt some iron spots too and pulled 4 keepers out of some nasty intermingled iron....

Hot detector for sure..it's a brass Killer....Dug a 2 piece flower cuff button at a good 8 inches in between some old dig holes...just plain deep...

Keith
Re: Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week
January 03, 2013 05:01AM
Hey Keith, how smoothly does the Vista golds 25 Khtz operate in your bad ground? What I mean is there any noise, falsing.Always thought the lower freqs handle hot ground better than higher Khtz detectors.Did the 1000 you tested seem to run quieter?How is the audio modulation on the Vistas? Are the deepies nice and quiet sounding? Thanks for the great reports, Steve
January 03, 2013 05:12AM
Well low freqs punch the hot ground better but high freqs seem to run in hot ground better...

The bost mode and slow/fast filter options really allow for the best of both worlds on this platfrom....instead of being partial to deep high condcutor's that low freq machine offers in bad dirt...I am now partial to deep low conductors in bad dirt...

they both the RG and the Gold,(I was using them both today )run about the same in my dirt...I am just more partial to the Gold and especially the BOOST...

The RG has a tendancy to dig a little more deep iron and I have found the culprit is the lack of Boost mode I am starting to believe....the Boost mode takes the fringe target's and really gets a peek at them better ...more solid I.D..

The audio is modualted ...but a 8 inch item with boost and slow on will sound really loud....it's the past 9-10 inch stuff thast starts to give perception...

it really punches the pinestraw and leave's....

The Boost is an amazing feature...it will cut your battery time in half..But it's worth it in hunted out spot's...

Imagine the XP detector's but pumped up

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 07:30PM by Keith Southern.
January 03, 2013 05:43AM
"Imagine the XP Detectors but pumped up"
Just exactly what the doctor ordered. The added depth alone would be an improvement of my Deus. But it sounds as if the Gold's (and maybe the Rg1000's) ability in iron is even better. This sounds like pure "what I've been looking for" kind of stuff. Great post and great review. I am SO ready to get out in the woods and hunt again. There is just something about hunting in yards of homes where people live. At the place where I dug the Union staff officer button, a general service button(with half it's face missing) several bullets, a couple of Indian Heads, the renters are not giving me that warm wave anymore. And they have yet to ask me: "well...what are ya finding." I am getting the vibes that they are ready for me to wrap it up. And heck, I've just gotten started gridding my way through all of that iron. It's the best hot spot I have found. My next stategy is to put my finds, so far, in a plaque and when I see them headed to their vehicle, run over and show them what I have been finding so that I will get a chance to explain why it is time consuming, What has this got to do with Keith's post? Well...nothing....I confess. I am sleepy and heading for bed and just needed to unload it.
But BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST!! This has got me wanting one more than ever. There's no shame in my game. If there is improvement. I will sell a unit in a flash, and get the improved unit. Or, I may just get the improved unit and do some head to head and sell the one I like least. GREAT REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 03, 2013 08:32AM
Hey Keith check out this depth/recovery speed comparison off a German forum,the Smart wins in high mineralised ground(the megabucks ctx3030 came second!),and was just pipped to second in medium mineralised ground
The Gold does real well overall but not sure whether they were using slow recovery with the booster on or not.......?
OK it's hard to say how the other detectors were set up but still.....incredible value/performance for money!
The smart on boost mode might just surpass the gold but I'll wait for your video to confirm that (that's if I can resist purchasing...........soooo tempting.....)

[img.photobucket.com]
January 03, 2013 12:09PM
Great data but we need to task Albert for a translation.

I find it interesting that the Tek T2 grades out better than the F75. ???
January 04, 2013 03:04AM
If I had to guess these are performance charts. The top one is medium mineralization and the bottom is high mineralization. The two were averaged together for the very bottom chart. Depth in CM I'm assuming.

But hey I could be all wrong. The only part I'm not understanding is the recovery speed. Also at the bottom it lists normal mineralization but there is no big chart for it. So I assume that there was at least a second page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 03:09AM by goodmore.
January 04, 2013 03:53AM
Hey Keith, great analysis. That is very intertesting on what you think is the achilles heel of the 1000;has no boost but it likes deep iron over the gold. Almost sounds like a wrap around effect with the high tones squeeking thru but the gold wont do that.Very observent. Steve
January 04, 2013 09:18PM
Same data from the Austrian site (http://www.sondengaenger.at/) but converted centimeters to inches and translated into English. The detectors are rank ordered - best to worst.

January 05, 2013 12:24AM
Thanks James and Steve and Johhny for the translation...

Interesting on the depth result's...

Thats what gets me on the Gold...it will run though iron with the best of them yet it will dig very very deep ...I have not ran too may detectors in disc mode that go as deep as the gold does.It reminds me alot of Musketeer depth yet it likes the lower condcutors at depth that I have never dug....

thats the kicker for me ... it goes deep and yet it's digging lower type conductor's at real depth... I can dig deep high conductor's on occasion with machine's but to dig down and find small low conductivity items really deep is it not somehting I have ever done ...Not in my funky dirt anyway...

I only imagine what the Smart can do Boosted...But can it go after the really low conductors at depth?

Theres a 10 inch layer of deep low conductors that really is untouched in certain scenarios...

I have a gut feeling this Gold will dig a Gold coin....in the dirt at depth in a hunted out Civil War camp...dont Know when it will happen but I just have a gut feeling on that...

Dont go too much by airtesting with the Vistas they perform in the dirt.They hold their own in the air but the targets actually sound better in the dirt ....

Thanks for the info again...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 02:03AM by Keith Southern.
January 05, 2013 01:37AM
Keith --

I can't wait until your gut is proven correct...if/when it is. I can't wait to see that gold coin pic! If I lived in the southeast U.S., where civil war sites abound, this detector would really be intriguing...

Steve
January 05, 2013 01:54AM
Oh stinks living up here in the northeast this time of the year DAM SNOW! plus FROZEN GROUND!
January 05, 2013 03:20AM
AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh stinks living up here in the northeast this
> time of the year DAM SNOW! plus FROZEN GROUND!

LOL, know what you mean.....but, it sucks living down there in the middle of summer if your a Northerner.
For a split second this winter, we thought lets move back to Keith's neck of the woods......nahhh

Hey Keith, what kind of giant bugs are these? Took these pictures on our back deck at the house we had in Dallas.

What about those giant yellow spiders? Just love those big brown spiders that race across the floor and scare the $2%& out of ya.
One time thought it was the cat rubbing up against my foot while I was on the computer desk, it was another one of those spiders.
Wife used to freak out..... Stepped on one, it went splat and about 300 little babies, raced in every direction from it. Vacuums sure come in handy.....

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
jrk
January 05, 2013 03:28AM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh stinks living up here in the northeast this
> > time of the year DAM SNOW! plus FROZEN GROUND!
>
>
> LOL, know what you mean.....but, it sucks living
> down there in the middle of summer if your a
> Northerner.
> For a split second this winter, we thought lets
> move back to Keith's neck of the woods......nahhh
>
> Hey Keith, what kind of giant bugs are these? Took
> these pictures on our back deck at the house we
> had in Dallas.
> [www.findmall.com]
> images,file_id=105359
> [www.findmall.com]
> images,file_id=105360
> What about those giant yellow spiders? Just love
> those big brown spiders that race across the floor
> and scare the $2%& out of ya.
> One time thought it was the cat rubbing up against
> my foot while I was on the computer desk, it was
> another one of those spiders.
> Wife used to freak out..... Stepped on one, it
> went splat and about 300 little babies, raced in
> every direction from it. Vacuums sure come in
> handy.....

Jesus Christ!

Gold coin or not, screw spiders large enough to be mistaken as a cat! ...and I even dislike cats... Christ!
January 05, 2013 04:16AM
Hey Sven....

Not sure about the Bug's....

I think the bottom one is a Bettle of some sort...I had one just like that last year except it was green..Measured out at 3.25 inches...checked the world record was 3.5" So I was close...

It was called a southeastern giant bettle..

I have seen it all in the woods here around my house...

Snakes to Spider's to rabid opossum to coyote you name it...

even seen some bear tracks not long ago...

its the copper heads I worry most about...they are sneaky...

I was digging a hole last year and something was popping the bottom of my boot...I kept thinking it was some twigs popping up behind me where I had walked...Went to stand up and picked up my entrenching tool and saw a copper head behind me in strike position...sucker had been popping the sole of my boot...Off with his head real quick....

at least the rattlers will make a noise when you come around the Copperheads are just plain sneaky...

I crawled under an abandoned house one time down on the Chattahoochee river to retrieve an old bottle I saw...it was in the early spring like mid march...I got on my belly and went in ...I had about a 2 foot clearance...got in about 10 feet and a snale went acroos my hand's that was at least 5 foot long....still not sure what kind it was but I about tore the floor out of the old house trying to get out from under there...man my back was tore up ripped my shirt all the way off....

the one thing I hate the most though is picking ticks off me at the end of the day.....sometimes you can have a dozen or more on you at night when you get home....

I am convinced I have Lyme disease....I ache all the time all over my body....doctors say no but I am not sure...I ran a fever one time for about a week and could not hardly move... I think I had it then...

Yellow jacket's not too fun...dig into a nest of those in the fall....one time I got stung over 100 times in a 3 day period...Seems like I would of learned better the first time LOL!!

those big spider's...Not too bad I hate getting the webs in my face when I am sweating but not really alarmed by the spiders much...

I use to sleep in a damp basement when I was growing up and those sucker's where everywhere...we called them Camel cricket's....turn the lights off at night and you could hear them jumping...Woke up one morning with one setting on my chest looking at me... Man he was Big...

Yes hunting in the woods in the deep south can be alarming sometimes...

Ever herd of a Skunkape??? Well thats another story I will leave it at that...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 04:45AM by Keith Southern.
January 05, 2013 05:08AM
Lymes disease is bad news. Once you have it, you dont get rid of it. Antibotics control it. It will kill your organs if you let it go unchecked. Next time it flares up, get a test.
January 05, 2013 10:46AM
Hey Keith yeah lime disease is bad up here too, i've been very fortunate in the woods and in last few years were finding rattelers moving up here i get nervous sometimes around old foundations, but on the lime disease deal it takes more than one doctor sometimes to figuire you got it becuase on a lot tests it will not reveal itself very easy and gets passed on as something else, one thing that helps me believe it or not that i eat tons of garlic, after a while you sweat it out and bugs don't like it, they'll land on you but think twice about biting, no bull.
January 05, 2013 12:18PM
Hey Keith, Thanks for giving us the detailed feedback on the Vista Gold.
I hope you get your hands on a Vista Relic as well - I think someone here was going to loan you one?

Anyway, thanks again,
Albert
January 05, 2013 06:46PM
I grew up in the town of Lyme - had ticks on occasion as a kid but never had the disease. A kid I went to school with got the first case. He didn't fare too well. Back then doctors didn't know what it was.

There is a theory that once exposed, some people's immune system stays aggressive and it becomes an auto-immune problem - destroying cartilage. Some people have joint pain, swollen knees being common - this is years later after being exposed.

Bad news. But at least my home town got some notoriety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 03:27AM by Johnnyanglo.
January 06, 2013 01:54AM
Hey Kieth, coating yourself with deet has helped keep the ticks off me so far. Only one in the last two years! If you really think you have it you might want to get to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville, FL. They can run a one day diagnostic on you that you can't get any where else and they have top of the line people trying to find it. I've known several people who found out in a day what other docs had been dithering with for months and months. If it is Lyme's you really need to get it dealt with fast! We need you around running tests for a while yet!!!
January 06, 2013 03:10AM
Hey fellas ...I probably dont have it...

If I did I would be a miracle by now its been five years and no more fever's.....Summer fevers are just rare...

I think most of my aches probably comes from deteriating disc disease....

I will tell you one thing though...keep hydrated in the summer.....

I got so bad off one time I quit sweating....I was digging some buttons on a South Carolina coastal plantation..It was 104 that day..and after about 4 hours in an open field I started getting cold chills...and I was dry as a bone...could not remember my name or my buddy's name....

I crawled under a palmetto bush for shade...thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest...my buddy come by in a few minutes and found me...

Man that dehydration comes on quick....its scary....I drank 4 ...32 oz gatorades and felt pretty good after that...that was 20 years ago though...nowadays I might not make it out so lucky...I wear a camel pack now in the summer if I am away from the vehicle....

Keith
January 06, 2013 03:41AM
I suppose you can gauge how dedicated a detectorist you are by the number of times you almost die from heat stroke, contract Lyme disease, are stung by a colony of African killer bees, are surrounded by wild dogs, bitten by cobras, cornered by an angry she-bear, had to fight packs of ravening wolves, go fisticuffs with a Skunk-ape, beat Sasquatch in a foot race, lose a limb to a brown recluse bite, or shake off a bout of dengue fever.

I usually call it quits if it looks like rain.
January 06, 2013 04:09AM
Thats pretty funny Johhny....

I will telll you one thing..I used to hunt with a Korean war vet,,,,,Man that was the toughest dude I ever saw....

He would sleep in the wood's on the gorund.......never sweated...never stopped going....Had cancer for years never killed him...still alive today...just one tough dude...

Smoked cigarettes like there was no tomorrow...

Sai He got cold In Korea and never warmed back up.....He said you have not seen cold till you spent a winter in Korea...

Lot to be said for those old timer's....

Not sure I could do it ....probabaly not.....

I have Known some WW2 vet's ...Nothing fazed those guy's...Just some tough generation...

Keith
January 06, 2013 05:13AM
Oh yeah, spent four years in Korea also... bitterly cold.

I would sleep for hours on the ground too.

Fortunately I was indoors.

But you had to be a bit tough - sometimes the pillows were somewhat lumpy.

I've just had to learn how to push through the pain.
January 06, 2013 10:03PM
Hi Keith,
I have a question about the RG 1000 and The Vista Gold. How much EMI will they pick up from other near by detectors if any, Thanks in advance. I just ordered a Vista Smart from the factory. Got a real decent price on it. I bought the pro pack.
January 06, 2013 10:04PM
Hi Keith,
I have a question about the RG 1000 and The Vista Gold. How much EMI will they pick up from other near by detectors if any, Thanks in advance. I just ordered a Vista Smart from the factory. Got a real decent price on it. I bought the pro pack. Thanks in advance.
January 06, 2013 10:50PM
Hey that is great....Sounds Like a SMART move on your behalf...LOL!!!

Seriuosly though I have yet to encounter EMI...Crosstalk....

I hunt next to an explorer user and no sound whatsoever...he has to change His channel but I never hear him...

I also hunt next to a F75 and no problem's there either yet the f75 does not like the Vista...

the Vista's are very EMI free...probabaly the best I have ever seen...yet the boxes are not shielded upon visual inspection...maybe they use some sort of metalic imbedded plastic?

I can actually run them under the High Line's 50,000 volt's and not even hear any noise or notice any detremental perfomance loss...

Boost mode runs smoother than standard also EMI wise...Weird I know...

But again that's great on the Smart...cant wait to get some feedback from other user's..

I think people are going to be in for quite a nice experience...Give it a few hours in the field before making a judgement call...I think/hope you will find they will challenge any machine you have ever ran for depth...And unmasking is their Forte'

Keith
January 07, 2013 04:40AM
You have me confused on your translation of the German charts For example, There was no mention of the Vista Smart or the Deus. The vista smart was rated no, 1 on the German charts and the Deus no2
January 07, 2013 11:07AM
The f-75 is only ranked one above the Ace, tough one to swallow.
January 07, 2013 11:46AM
Pink-striped oakworm moth: [www.butterfliesandmoths.org]
Ground beetle: [www.cirrusimage.com]

Both are harmless and common in SC too. Biggest problems here are fire ants (open ground), yellow jackets and Copperhead snakes.