Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week
January 19, 2013 02:27AM
Hey Paul, Im planning on ordering one in next two weeks. Maybe we can meet somewhere off 49 and put it through its paces. Ill get a hold of ya.Ray
January 19, 2013 02:32AM
Hey Paul!!

Yes the Gold seems to be the most versatile machine I have ever owned...And maybe the most versatile machine in the Vista Line-up...

I can go from world class unmasking to a really DEEP seeking unit with a flip of the switch....

The real advantage to the Gold is the fast/slow switch...

And the 25kHz really punch's/handles the mineral...

The one thing you will see is when in fast the machine runs about like a G2...... Boost it and it runs like a boosted G2..Except the tonal qualities are analog instead of digital...alot more blendy in iron...Thats PLUS....

Flip into Slow and theres really nothing I know of that runs like it....it is SUPER deep across the board...it will go from 6-8 inch machine on coin sized object's to a 10-12 inch coin sized object....Easily...it will go deeper than that but it takes some massaging to get it set right for the ultimate depth...

It really is one machine that can do double duty...Hunt iron like a XP a go deep like ...Well like I dont know it's deep, not sure I Know of a VLF to compare it to...Hand on Heart it's DEEP. .....

The slow and boost together put the machine into one of if not the deepest detectors I have ever ran...Just today I was digging .22 hulls at 8 inches and they sounded like they were 2 inches deep..

People are going to say to themselves i can dig deep like that with a cz or a modded classic 3 Explorer Etc.....And yes you can...But the forte of the Gold in slow and boosted is it dig's deep high conductor's like those machine's,,,BUT it also opens up a whole other layer of LOWER conductor's we are usually not digging...and the sites are full of those...Because till now no other VLF could dig deep low conductor's... Very eye opening to see the layer of deep low conductor's lurking just out of reach of other's...

Dug some lantern part's and some toe taps at a foot deep easliy...

One thing is it does not like to throw the Low tone on deep good target's like a T2 or F75 likes to do in bad dirt...

It will chase a little more DEEP large iron...but it has a tonal quality about it that once you get it in your head you can call it before you dig it and be right...

The machine's tonal qualities sound best with the cheap paper cone type headphone's...The low Ohms type..The high Dollar Killer b type will fool you on the deep iron...the tonal quality of those are not the greatest on an analog...

I have become the most comfortable with the 20.00 treasure wise phone's..

It's one machine that will give you a ton of confidence...I know where ever I hunt I will find a target I have missed before...

Very unique machine for sure....A true site analyzer...I dig quite alot of iron Buttons out of old iron ridden site's....You know the target is iron yet it has the tight tonal quality to make you say that could be an underware button....and it usually is...I still to yet have dug nail's with it...

That's the strong area Iron working.....

I can actually say for working iron I see no equal at this point in the way it talks to ME....And this is with the large Elliptical 7x11 DD...I can only imagine what the small elliptical will hopefully bring to the platge.......I have a small round 5 for it now but I still prefer the large coil. for the conveying it gives..

If you get one do get the Ellitpical...it is that good .....

I could go on but I think once other's start reporting in theres going to be alot of pleased hunter's out there...

It easy to run and set up yet it takes a skill level to get the most out of it....A understanding of powerful machine behavior ...An undestanding of what to expect in iron ladden site's target behavior wise...

I think you would do great with it Paul...Hope you get one and report on it....

Keith
January 19, 2013 03:08AM
you guys that are getting the vista's need to make some vids to compare notes, i think really once you get the hang of them there will be no disapointment
January 19, 2013 04:09AM
Sounds so cool..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 19, 2013 04:18AM
Looking forward to hunting with you Ray, especially up in gold country that's the area this machine should do well getting those mask relics.

The Vista Gold will fit your hunting needs like a glove, I know how much you perfer non metered detectors. Time flies, seems like yesterday we were all hitting those wino parks with a smile ear to ear.

I'll call and place an order tomorrow, chances are will only use the 7X11" coil. Perfer this size coil for the kind of areas we hunt, can't wait!
See you Ray, Looking forward to the day.
Paul (Ca)i
January 19, 2013 04:30AM
Thanks Keith for sharing more information, every bit helps.

I agree, the 7"X11" coil will be my main coil. Very excited with what I'm hearing the Vista Gold getting the lower conductive signals deeper than other VLF detectors in masked areas, looking forward to the learning curve that alone will be a joy.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the Vista Gold, placing an order tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)
January 19, 2013 04:36AM
Lawernzo buddy, long time good to see you posting.

Often think about you and the time we met mid way here in Calif, always wanted to take a drive to your area maybe this year we can meet near your area.

Still have the GoldScanner Pro, and the T-2 I picked up from you. Let's get together, this year for sure.

See you amigo,
Paul (Ca)
January 19, 2013 04:43AM
Thanks AMCJAVELIN,

I'm limited to only having a cell phone for internet access, haven't learned how to post videos but have a hunting friend who does.

Maybe get my friend to post a clip, a video from the gold country would be the perfect place.

Paul (Ca)
January 19, 2013 06:37PM
Pulled the trigger, Ordered the Vista Gold with both coils. And finally had a chance to speak with Barry, We have conversed over email several times before on other products but never had the pleasure chatting over the phone until this morning, great guy.

Now, I'm thinking in the future making this into a waterproof unit headset and all. Accept both the 7"X11" DD and the later released smaller waterproof coil, after the warranty expires of course but something to ponder on until I make the mod. Should be a killer fresh water machine, get those lower conducting signals in the gold range deeper than todays VLF detectors.

Very excited, can't wait!
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 06:39PM by Old California.
January 19, 2013 06:54PM
Thats great Paul!!!

I think you wil quite pleased..

I think you will be able to appreciate the attributes of the machine...

It's easy to set up and easy to run ...Yet takes an advanced way of thinking and approach to get the most out of it and I know you know where I am coming from...

It's the type machine that has needed to be built for along time...For the dedicated relic hunter...and even dedicated jewelry ,coin . hunter etc...

Your going to be impressed with the depth it gets on slow recovery.. boost mode engaged on isolated target's at depth...Low Conductor's...

use it for a couple of hours and it will seem like you have been using it for years'...If that makes sense...

It will quickly become a fovorite...

Cant wait to hear your report..

Glad you got the elliptical...Let us Know what you think of that coil!

I too have thought of setting mine up on a pistol grip...but to be honest it's so light with the elliptical ..Heck I just hunt and have fun!

Keith
January 19, 2013 08:08PM
hey Keith my darn smart is still caught up in customs been there since tuesday, they've been taking there sweet time thats for sure
January 20, 2013 12:55AM
Right on Paul. We should get together after we get them and put them to the test. Im kinda interested how it does on the au too.
January 20, 2013 01:14AM
I am catching up on some of my reading. Keith that is odd that you say you like the Treasure Wise Headphones. I have purchased every set of headphones made, and always gray the Treasure Wise when I hunt. I liked them so much, I purchased a couple of spares just in case they stop making them. I use these on every detector I own and have owned. I just like the audio.....

Hey Paul, don't see you posting very much any more. glad to see you are still around. Did you get some of the cold weather out that way?

Tom in SC
January 20, 2013 05:09AM
Very good post...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 21, 2013 02:24PM
Hi Tom (SC)

Don't get out very much like before, changed careers putting in allot of hours not too many days off during the month.

Maybe get out once twice a month now, but when I do detect enjoy every moment.

Been using the CTX, Doing well with it at parks and such.

Good to hear from you, hope all is well take care Tom.
Paul (Ca)
January 21, 2013 02:30PM
Same here Ray,

Very curious how the Vista gold will do on gold nugget hunting, based from one of the videos and what we're hearing it should be a killer for nugget hunting.

Looking forward to using the machine, getting lower conductive signals deeper than other VLF detectors is worth the investment.

See you Ray, looking forward hunting with you.
Paul (Ca)
January 21, 2013 02:40PM
Thanks again Keith,

You know, I almost asked Barry to pass on the 11" larger coil and just send the 7"X11" elipcial coil but like he said the 11" will be a backup and for just 100 bucks more makes sense, plus it may even get a little more depth if I ever need it for a certain site.

I have several sites going to hit right away with the Vista Gold, these are settlements we pounded with our top detectors already feel the Vista Gold is going to find stuff beyond the depth our machines couldn't get.

Looking forward to using the Vista Gold on old dirt,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 02:42PM by Old California.
January 21, 2013 07:37PM
Hey Paul the 11" round is a tad bit deeper ..As round coils seem to be over ellitpical ...

They have the new coil cable on the round so no more falsing issues...Always good to have an extra coil EXTRA coil...

Dont Know If you saw these Vids I worked up or not...

Nothing fancy or anything ...

Heres a mineral test showing how well the Elliptical work's
[www.youtube.com]

Here it is retrieving a DEEP low conductor..
[www.youtube.com]

Here it is testing a 11 inch dime vs a 12.5 khz Vista Rg 1000 ..One the Gold when looking deep Boost and slow is a great combo!
[www.youtube.com]

Watch this one toward the end and I have speed test for it on my back deck ...it's a dime on edge and nickle on edge between nails...
[www.youtube.com]

And heres one where I dig a super thin piece of Gold jewelry out of some iron in a house site...this has been swung over alot believe me...This is the machines forte' area..
[www.youtube.com]

I know there not real professional video's or anything Paul but I think they will let you see some of the attributes...
Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 02:23AM by Keith Southern.
January 22, 2013 02:17AM
Hey Keith,
I think I read where you have the 5" coil for the gold?How is the 5" coil on the Gold... for depth?
January 22, 2013 02:32AM
It is a nice coil...but does not seems as FAST as the larger elliptical...if that makes sense,but the depth is really ncie with it..it test very deep...

just dont use it a lot...looking for a small elliptical when it becomes available...

I also heard or read I should say...that there is a larger elliptical in the works...I imagine the depth on certain objects might really become jaw dropping for sure...

That's the great thing about these modern coil designs were are now starting to see....They seem to defy the norm...bigger still hitting small thing's and larger coils behaving like coils half their size in contaminated site's...

I think we the detectorist are really starting to see better thing's coming into existance...the next few years could really prove to be the best years yet for hunting...
What do we need...????

More depth and better unmasking....

the manufacturers are starting to see this...And building on this idea,..

as of now the sites have just been surface hunted in the open and cherry picked in the trash...I feel that...

Keith
Anonymous User
January 22, 2013 02:51AM
Keith wrote: What do we need...???

We need to make sure that all the governments..from local to state to federal don't take our detecting locations away!!!

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a nice coil...but does not seems as FAST as
> the larger elliptical...if that makes sense,but
> the depth is really ncie with it..it test very
> deep...
>
> just dont use it a lot...looking for a small
> elliptical when it becomes available...
>
> I also heard or read I should say...that there is
> a larger elliptical in the works...I imagine the
> depth on certain objects might really become jaw
> dropping for sure...
>
> That's the great thing about these modern coil
> designs were are now starting to see....They seem
> to defy the norm...bigger still hitting small
> thing's and larger coils behaving like coils half
> their size in contaminated site's...
>
> I think we the detectorist are really starting to
> see better thing's coming into existance...the
> next few years could really prove to be the best
> years yet for hunting...
> What do we need...????
>
> More depth and better unmasking....
>
> the manufacturers are starting to see this...And
> building on this idea,..
>
> as of now the sites have just been surface hunted
> in the open and cherry picked in the trash...I
> feel that...
>
>
> Keith
January 22, 2013 06:05PM
Ok I'm on board. I just ordered the Vista Gold. I couldn't wait for enough data on the Smart, so I jumped in. About 3 weeks till I get it, and if the weather holds out, It will be 3 weeks and 1 day when she gets her maiden voyage lol. I've been over- ready for a non digital machine. I have a specific site that I have hit with the DFX, E Trac, and 3030. It just gave up an XF 1871 Indian and an 1857 Flying Eagle. It also gave my friend a GW button, so you can see why I want to put the Vista Gold to the cellar hole test there. Can't wait!!
January 22, 2013 08:29PM
Ooooo!!, flying eagle...hard to come by. Nice going coinnut.
January 22, 2013 10:14PM
as a matter of fact found a 1857 flying eagle myself this year with the RELIC and was about 8" deep and rung out nice and smooth
January 22, 2013 11:39PM
Thanks Keith for posting the video links, appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and taking the time to put these videos together.

Was impressed with the 7X11" elliptical coil seeing through the mineralized brick better than the 11" round coil, goes to show the elliptical gets getter separation yup that's the coil I'll be using for most hunting.

I already feel the Vista Gold will get those deeper lower conductive signals with ease especially out in plowed farm land, already have confidence in the machine and haven't even touched one.

Thanks again for posting the links, appreciate your Passion for the hobby.
Paul (Ca)
January 24, 2013 04:53AM
Thank you for the resposne Paul...

I guess we are all passionate about the hobby or we would not of been doing it for so long....

Funny somehting you star as a Kid as curiosity and fun become's your life long journey...

Now I could not imagine life without a metal detector...as the years go by instead of becoming complacent with the hobby I actually find my self wanting to know more and more and find more and more...

I can actually say Metal detecting has taught me life lesson's believe it or not...Humility,Perseverance,Patience,Gratitiude,Self Pride...Weird is it not?

I wish more Kids would get involved in the QUEST.....I have 2 daughter's and I have tried but they are not interested...

I know you are going to put the Gold to good use Paul..cant wait to see some of the finds....I really like to see the early California History.

Nothing like having the proper equipment to challenge a site....to pull a few more thing's out of a site!

Keith
January 24, 2013 06:01AM
Keith I totally agree with you because I feel the same way. You really put that in words very well, I could not have done it better. I also have 2 daughters but they are not interested either, maybe that will change, time will tell.

I am wondering how the SMART will do on low conductors.

Goldmanjace

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for the resposne Paul...
>
> I guess we are all passionate about the hobby or
> we would not of been doing it for so long....
>
> Funny somehting you star as a Kid as curiosity and
> fun become's your life long journey...
>
> Now I could not imagine life without a metal
> detector...as the years go by instead of becoming
> complacent with the hobby I actually find my self
> wanting to know more and more and find more and
> more...
>
> I can actually say Metal detecting has taught me
> life lesson's believe it or
> not...Humility,Perseverance,Patience,Gratitiude,Se
> lf Pride...Weird is it not?
>
> I wish more Kids would get involved in the
> QUEST.....I have 2 daughter's and I have tried but
> they are not interested...
>
> I know you are going to put the Gold to good use
> Paul..cant wait to see some of the finds....I
> really like to see the early California History.
>
> Nothing like having the proper equipment to
> challenge a site....to pull a few more thing's out
> of a site!
>
> Keith
January 24, 2013 10:52AM
well don't feel bad i've tried to get my 8yr old son involved and likes it for about 15minutes and then off to something else, oh well what are you going to do?
January 24, 2013 01:10PM
I've got 2 daughters .... and I'm prepping.......... er........... 'working them over'. I dropped my wedding band in the swingset sandpit. Oldest daughter (4 years old) watched it disappear completely. She dug for it and "found treasure".
Seeds planted.
January 24, 2013 01:31PM
We hunted with a new detecting friend last weekend. 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son. Both are hooked, big time, hunted all day with us and had a ball. A real pleasure to see some kids getting into it!