Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Your thoughts....??

Posted by fisher cz-3d 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your thoughts....??
January 08, 2013 01:00AM
wjs
Re: Your thoughts....??
January 08, 2013 01:53AM
I thought it was ok except for the part about shoving an item somehwhere..............
January 08, 2013 03:04AM
On what? The whole Hitler impersonation & such or the AT Pro being portrayed as a simple "toy"??

I found the Hitler thing kind of funny in how they were all so serious & mad about their hunting grounds being over-run by other hunters and in how he was making fun of the wrestler guy (annoying wrestler) that I too can't stand with his fake BS show. If I could get $5000 for a rusty old saw, a beat-up/rusty bear trap and an old ax head - I'd be a millionaire!!!

But

as for the AT Pro??

In a non salt environment and in depth it's very hard to beat as for a detector that operates in/out of water. It also has some very nice features (the pro mode/s) and the "iron checker" are very nice features :-)

There are a few improvements (features) that I'd like to see on the AT that would make it a very nice somewhat higher end machine (at least in the aspect of being a fresh water/land machine). If you're talking saltwater - it would need a lot of improvements/changes to compete with the big boys but at that point - you'd be losing the overall heart/operation of the machine as it is and where it shines best. It would also cost a LOT more with depth loss on small/er gold pieces.

For me here in Michigan and using it in fresh water only (or on land)

1 would be to improve the overall durability of the machine, an adjustable back light for night hunting would be a good improvement, more choices in coils would be nice, being able to dive with it to at least 50 ft would be a nice improvement, and water proof headphones should be a given instead of the standard non water phones and then having to buy the water proof ones as an extra. Outside of those features - the only other I could see that I personally would like is a "True All Metal Mode" (non motion) but - I would suffice w'o that feature for all the others mentioned IF it were kept within the same price range (no more than an extra $100 or so). At the very least - water proof headphones as a standard, an adjustable back light, and more coils to chose from are the bare minimum for improvements needed and for no more than a price increase of like $50 tops
January 08, 2013 07:37AM
Haven't watched an episode of diggers, we don't get that channel.

But actually very nice metal detecting has become one of Hitlers rants. He's an avid motorbiker, uses ipads, etc. etc.

AT-Pro and tot lots,.... when you need some comfort detecting, pulling a few coins to ease the stress. Couldn't think of a more convenient combo.
Tot lots are empty when it rains, the AT-pro will handle the wet and provide the depth for the nice trinkets.
January 08, 2013 09:00AM
MRL ......... Waterproof headphones and adjustable backlight would boost 'cost' of the AT-Pro by more than $50.00. This would (in the wrong direction) dramatically alter the sales-volume bell-curve (((and subsequent target-market))). Having the waterproof headphones for an 'after-the-initial-sale user option' ...... keeps the flexibility high...... and the (critical) initial cost low. Interestingly........... the (somewhat substantial) higher sales numbers....... by simply keeping the (critical) costs low......... allows for a lot more money for R & D.

Also........ Over 99% of detectorists (in general).... will never dive deeper than 10-feet. Said a little differently....... and with a more 'focused' target-market: Specifically 'water' detectorists..... most do not dive deeper than 10-feet. Therefore: "Wading" is critical. "Diving" is the exception....... not the norm.
January 08, 2013 01:18PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MRL ......... Waterproof headphones and
> adjustable backlight would boost 'cost' of the
> AT-Pro by more than $50.00. This would (in the
> wrong direction) dramatically alter the
> sales-volume bell-curve (((and subsequent
> target-market))). Having the waterproof
> headphones for an 'after-the-initial-sale user
> option' ...... keeps the flexibility high......
> and the (critical) initial cost low.
> Interestingly........... the (somewhat
> substantial) higher sales numbers....... by simply
> keeping the (critical) costs low......... allows
> for a lot more money for R & D.
>
> Also........ Over 99% of detectorists (in
> general).... will never dive deeper than 10-feet.
> Said a little differently....... and with a more
> 'focused' target-market: Specifically 'water'
> detectorists..... most do not dive deeper than
> 10-feet. Therefore: "Wading" is critical. "Diving"
> is the exception....... not the norm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom - I understand your viewpoint from a "sales/marketing" aspect and it's a good one (especially from the R & D standpoint) - I just wish the machine had a backlight for night hunts, and that it came with water headphones initially instead of the land ones and also that there were a much better variety of coils available at the very least. To me - it seems that "most" of the buyers/users of the machine are buying it specifically for the purpose and capability of being water proof and therefore - it only stands to reason that it should come with the waterproof headphones as the standard (with normal phones as the "option"). See where I'm coming from??

Don't get me wrong though - in my honest opinion - it is a very good machine for the $$ as it is -- and believe me - I've owned anything from $79.95 specials as a 14 yr old kid (Garrett Coin hunter) starting in 1977 all the way up to $1300+ machines of today like the DFX - a cz20 & 21 - an excal 1000 - and about 20/25 others over the years all in between those price ranges and by far - it's one of the best I've ever used when it comes to versatility, depth, and variety of finds it will pick up on!

I currently have a Tesoro Tejon on it's way to me as we speak :-) ----- can't wait to try that one out! From what I see/understand about the machine - it's almost like an old "Beep & Dig" but somewhat highly adjustable and a very deep seeking machine that even the high dollar machines out there today WISH they could compete with on that level - we'll see! And/but lets be honest here - that's what it's all about when you get right down to it - we're all looking for the DEEP targets (which usually equates to OLD/er & more likely more valuable) or when on a beach - you want to be able to hit gold at as deep as possible (at least I do) and therefore - that's why I do my research in which machines go the deepest with good target variety/capabilities because it's not about how much you spend on a detector - it's ultimately what you find and how deep the machine is able to find it!

That's why these "modern day" hunters crack me up with their thought process in that they think (are misled into believing) that you have to spend a small fortune on the newest/latest and highest dollar top of the line equipment in order to have the deepest/best machine out there - glad I'm not that (lets say) "naive"! Personally - I just enjoy the hobby (it's a lifestyle for me) and have always been into "how the machines work" and always trying the new/er machines out for the features they offer as they have came a LONG way since way back when I was a 14 yr old kid. My next on the list is the V3i specifically because of the "graph" and in how it works on "sine/co-sine" in relation to the metal content of the metal under the detector at any given time and then graphs it out for you in real time! But - do I believe it's the BEST machine on the market (as Whites would have you/us believe)?? Ummm - I guess it depends on what you consider the "best" :-)
January 08, 2013 02:25PM
Certainly understand your point.

And yes, , , , for me........ here in this rapid sink-rate sand-bar State (Florida)...... depth is..... and has always been..... my #1 prioritization/quest. I focus more energy/concern on unmasking and bad mineralization...... simply for the rest of the world.
January 08, 2013 05:28PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Certainly understand your point.
>
> And yes, , , , for me........ here in this rapid
> sink-rate sand-bar State (Florida)...... depth
> is..... and has always been..... my #1
> prioritization/quest. I focus more energy/concern
> on unmasking and bad mineralization...... simply
> for the rest of the world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A true Martyr you are Tom :-)

Someone's gotta do it though huh?? I feel for ya - that FL sand/salt has got to be tough with the high saline content and certainly a struggle with most machines.