Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just installed my new 11x13 inch coil on my Deus.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just installed my new 11x13 inch coil on my Deus.
January 18, 2013 05:56PM
And then, a trip to the test garden. My deepest bullet is a twelve inch Three Ringer (58 cal conical bullet). It hits it with a good repeatable hi tone that says (PLEASE DIG ME AND SET ME FREE!!) So far, I see a fairly substantial increase in performance. Enough so that I didn't roll my eyes and say: "I wish I had just listened." I'm stubborn like that. But today, FINALLY, I get to go digging. I will carry both coils since swapping is so very simple. If I hit a real thick patch or iron, I will first try the large coil to see how it does, and then switch back to the small coil for better separation. But my first site will not be real nail-ly. Guys and gals, y'all likely already know this but i didn't and so for the benefit of others who also don't know, when you program your new coil to the control box, simply keep your headphones on and lay them aside, close by. They will automatically be reprogrammed when you program the new coil by typing a name and a serial number of the new coil into the control box. I used the Youtube video "Unboxing XP deus 13 inch coil". Just type that into the Youtube search bar. I'm kind of in a hurry or I'd post a link. I'll post a link when I get back. Maybe I can post a good find or two. The ground is PERFECT for detection today!!! Good luck/skill to all those who get to hunt today and this weekend!!!! I wish you well!!!
Re: Just installed my new 11x13 inch coil on my Deus.
January 18, 2013 11:44PM
I enjoyed a good day of detecting using the large coil. I went to a nail littered place where I had found front half of the Union staff officer button. I found half of a Harmonica reed, and three bullets. That doesn't seem like much. But the items dug today where notably deep ut with good load hi tones. I am VERY pleased with this large coil!!!
January 19, 2013 12:31PM
Due to seeing the world differently....... a large coil in a trashy area....... once in a while...... will bring to light....... a few more targets. Clear (trash free) areas........... and the large coil will really shine (as long as mineralization is not severe).
January 19, 2013 01:13PM
Tom I found this to be the case many times. Just changing things up produces results in areas that have been hunted before. A different detector or coil will usually light up a few targets that were missed before. Combine this with hunting from different directions a place can provide a person with hunting oppurtunities for a long time.
Anonymous User
January 19, 2013 04:41PM
Once I put the large coil on - I have rarely taken it off. Only to detect in the woods a few times.
And the stock coil looks so small in comparison...
January 19, 2013 07:06PM
Sounds good Kevin!!!

Congrats on the new Big coil...

Is that coil heavy?

I have never had alot of luck with bigger coils in my dirt...But technology of coil design is improving very well.

Keith
January 19, 2013 08:04PM
Keith.....heavy-----er would be more accurate. But it is not muc different than swinging the 9 inch. Fringe targets for the 9 inch coil are no longer fringe tagtes with this coil. I have successfully hit a 12 inch three ringer in my test garden that has been buried for close to two years. It was one of the first items I buried. That is back when I thought every detector I owned should hit it wth good repeatale sound. Butr with my level of mineralization, that has not een the case. It hit the 12 inch bullet with much better authority than my Etrac...BUT that is not a fair head to head. The Etrac showed more depth on silver rosies vs the 9 inch coil. Not so sire about this coil. I am about to head out the door with it to a new place.
January 19, 2013 10:37PM
I went downtown to a new site today. It was right across the street from a church (has been torn down since) that was used by Grant as a hospital after Shiloh. I found three wheat pennies in this yard (there is a rental house on it built in 1938). I got about half the yard done but there was steady Electromagnetic pulse that constantly beeped through my headphones and finally aggravated me enough to go home. With the wheat dated in the 40's and 50's. I should have used my small coil here. There is trash in the ground. So that is one negative for the large coil.....it picks up EMI much better (or worse).
January 19, 2013 11:08PM
The large coil notices my Pro Pointer much easier also. I found that some places running in the frequencies is not possible. 18 kHz seems to be the best for me on EMI issues. Also a faster recovery speed seems to magnify EMI.
January 20, 2013 02:22AM
Goodmore, I discovered the same thing when the large coil is installed. When my Deus is in 8 khz frequency, it goes wild when I turn the propointer on!!!! In the other frequencies, it doesn't do it. My last Deus was like yours......when in 18 khz the Propointer would feed through but that was with the small coil.