Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Compilation #2

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Compilation #2
July 28, 2009 12:48PM
You stated that all U.S. $5 half eagles would register as a third tone on the F75 and T2. Would you know what the normal VDI numbers might be?
Would this also include the Coronet $5 gold piece too?
Re: Compilation #2
July 29, 2009 01:37AM
They will register/report as a 3rd tone ONLY if 4-tone (or 4H) is selected; otherwise, with any other tone option, they will audibly register as a mid-tone. The VDI of a $5.00 Half Eagle gold coin is VDI '53'. There are a few extenuating circumstances; coin bent, badly worn, badly damaged, partially masked, etc......

This holds true with ALL Half Eagles. The very early 1st issue Half Eagles had slightly more mass (gold).... and will VDI just slightly higher.

((( Of note; on the F75... a target conductivity of VDI reading of 52.4 (or lower) will audibly report as a mid-tone...... vs. the 3rd highest tone ))).
Tom
July 30, 2009 04:22PM
Of all the gold coins produced are the half eagles the most likely gold coin to find in the ground?
Re: Tom
July 30, 2009 10:52PM
A big "YES"! It was the 'workhorse' gold coin that was MOST circulated. Pay no mind to mintage numbers. What matters to us detectorists is "circulated".
Thanks Tom
July 31, 2009 11:30AM
Thanks Tom
My $1 gold coin bounced between 28 and 31
July 31, 2009 04:40PM
It was found with the F70 about 3" deep but the numbers would read the same on the F75.
August 01, 2009 11:40AM
Thanks Scully. I usually did about everthing above 25 that sounds good. I wish the range from 28 to 33 was spread out a little bit more. In my area a nickel ususlly reads from 29 to 31 but a pop pull tab reads from 30-33 so there is an overlap of VDI numbers. Since digging anything above 25 I hope I'm save about the dollar coins.
August 01, 2009 01:27PM
U.S $1.00 gold coins usually ID as '24' on the F75. And U.S. 3-Cent nickels will ID '19 - 21'...... depending on condition.
August 02, 2009 12:42AM
I might have missed some 3 cent nickels. I've had several readings that locked on 19 and 20 that I didn't dig.
Don't get hung up on numbers..
August 07, 2009 02:34PM
As Tom related to next to trash, next to another coin, on end, extreme soil conditions can vary any coin reading so be careful a couple of digits either way could put a nice coin in your pouch...
Re: Don't get hung up on numbers..
August 08, 2009 11:52AM
In a fairly badly masked scenario, I have recovered silver dimes that would ID as a VDI of '13'. This is with the F75. Out of the ground, they would ID as a 70 - 75.
Low conductors...... like the U.S. $1 gold coin........and (even worse) the U.S. 3-Cent nickels... will SO easily drop into the Iron ID range....with only the slightest amount of iron masking. If a somewhat corroded (exposed to dirt for 140 years) 3-Cent nickel will ID as a VDI of '19' in a textbook perfect (no masking and no partial masking) scenario..................... it would take VERY little masking to make this VDI reading drop down to the iron range...to say; a VDI reading of '13'. In a multi-tone setting, a VDI of '13' would be a audio report of "iron/low tone" on the F75. In monotone and Disc setting of '6' on the F75...... this target would register audibly as 'good target'.

It is SOOOOO important to fully understand how the F75 responds......and how to utilize the F75 onboard tools (control settings) so as to make each-and-every site that will be hunted..... seem like a virgin site. SOOOOOO important. It is difficult to convey the excitement/anxiety feelings of "each and every site I hunt....feels virgin".

Tom
August 09, 2009 12:36AM
Do you honestly dig all good sounding signals at 13 or above. I can honestly say I've passed on these VDI 13 targets, figuring they were some kind of iron. On my hunt yesterday I dug an apron full of scrap metal that registered 74-76 on my VDI. After a couple of these digs I knew it was trash, but I dug it anyway. So by your reply below I should go back and hunt in one tone and dig all repeatable 13+ targets?

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a fairly badly masked scenario, I have
> recovered silver dimes that would ID as a VDI of
> '13'. This is with the F75. Out of the ground,
> they would ID as a 70 - 75.
> Low conductors...... like the U.S. $1 gold
> coin........and (even worse) the U.S. 3-Cent
> nickels... will SO easily drop into the Iron ID
> range....with only the slightest amount of iron
> masking. If a somewhat corroded (exposed to dirt
> for 140 years) 3-Cent nickel will ID as a VDI of
> '19' in a textbook perfect (no masking and no
> partial masking) scenario..................... it
> would take VERY little masking to make this VDI
> reading drop down to the iron range...to say; a
> VDI reading of '13'. In a multi-tone setting, a
> VDI of '13' would be a audio report of "iron/low
> tone" on the F75. In monotone and Disc setting of
> '6' on the F75...... this target would register
> audibly as 'good target'.
>
> It is SOOOOO important to fully understand how the
> F75 responds......and how to utilize the F75
> onboard tools (control settings) so as to make
> each-and-every site that will be hunted..... seem
> like a virgin site. SOOOOOO important. It is
> difficult to convey the excitement/anxiety
> feelings of "each and every site I hunt....feels
> virgin".
>
> Tom
August 09, 2009 02:22PM
The VDI reading is a distant 'secondary' input... as to whether I recover a target or not. If I am relic hunting and unit is set on monotone and Disc '6'.... I primarily go by audio. Sometimes... I just so happen to look at the VDI after I have already made the decision to recover.... and...... in many cases.... especially in carpets of nails.... the VDI can read very low (down in the upper-iron ID range). If it's TOO low, say = 8 or 9..... it's usually a larger piece of iron. Sometimes a tiny fleck of foil near a nail will make the F75 give a ID in the very low teens; subsequently triggering me to recover................ and in many cases, it's quite easy to lose that small piece of chewing gum foil...... making the detector look like it was in error.
It all depends on where you are hunting
August 10, 2009 02:49PM
It all depends on where you are hunting as to what mode you use. I very seldom get to hunt in the areas that are riddled with nails. If I did I can see where the mono tone would be of great benifit. Most of my hunting is done around old school buildings where there's not to many nails.
Re: It all depends on where you are hunting
August 11, 2009 01:23AM
Wow. Most of my old schools around here have been re-roofed multiple times..... and the nails........ within a 80' radius........ are performance crippling.