Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cold weather digger,... pics

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cold weather digger,... pics
January 19, 2013 08:35PM
With this cold weather keeping frost and snow on the ground,.... I wanted a digger to get through the surface layer.
Ground is only about 3/4" frozen with 2" snow on top.

So messed around the workshop a bit, with modified digger ideas.
This is the MKI Ice X-Tractor.

Wooden T to combat cold hands.
Rubber grip along the stem combating cold hands again.
Stainless digger underneath.
Straight blade for easy plug cutting and retrival.
Slight concave blade for added strength.
Wider towards the cutting edges, nice flat holes and easier scooping.
Custom MKI Ice X-tractor cutting edges, will chip away at thick ice no problem.

Too much time on my hands??
If the weather is a bit better I'm off for a try-out.

HH
Johnb
Re: Cold weather digger,... pics
January 19, 2013 10:27PM
Man, that looks awesome!!! I personally think that it will work fine!! But I will admit......I might have put foot bars to aid in pushing into the ground. But what do I know. I live in an area where the ground stays muddy at this particualr time of the year. I went digging today, and trying to use a Garrett Propointer in a plug of solid mud to dig out a target is messy. Happy searching!!!
January 19, 2013 11:34PM
Looks like it was built for what it was intended, chopping through frost. Nice!
January 20, 2013 06:01AM
-4°C in the shed this morning.
Windchill will be something like -11°C

Snow is moving in from the East. Other half has caught some kind of hot/cold feverish throwing up bug.
Probably will only get out for an hour to try it.

It originally was slightly longer and had a foot bar, stainless handle.
I shortened the digger and removed the footrest because I prefer wide stance bend over digging.
Not the most elegant sight, but kind of works.

Update: Haven't dug any coins yet, but it makes for a pro frozen dog doodle scooper!! Life is hilarious sometimes!!

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 06:42AM by scoopjohnb.
January 20, 2013 04:45PM
now we need to put on a benzamatic torch bottle and a flame to heat up the tip and hopefully melt right through that ground, i'm still working on something like that for frozen ground applications i call it the "hot digger"
January 20, 2013 09:22PM
Now that would be something really cool.

Only left the house for some shopping, laundry run and a snowy dogwalk, 3-4" of snow during the day.
Will update on the diggers performance when my RWD vehicle feels more surefooted.

HH
Johnb
January 27, 2013 09:51AM
Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Went out this morning for a short but cold dig, thaw has just set in.

Slices through Ice like a hit knife through butter, but ...... the blade tends to bend just below the weld.
Operator fault, but... not idiotproof.

HH
Johnb
January 27, 2013 12:52PM
Getting through frost is almost like punching through concrete. Looking at the variety of bits that are used in jackhammers, will give you an idea of what tooling it takes......heavy & heavy duty.

Even using a rock bar is too much like work. The woods are probably your best bet. The composting of the leaves along with the insulating properties, changes the frost. In the woods around here, its like walking on a 4 or 5 inch crust layer that's separate from the soil below. It's tough to walk on because every step it caves in until the top layer meets the soil...bad for the knees.
January 27, 2013 02:20PM
I admire your perseverance and come on Spring....With temps near zero the last couple of days any of you fellows have a dynamite stick or two you don't want..

Cabin fever in place lets hope the Pa. groundhoung predicts an early Spring...Yep just broke one of the plastic rungs on my super dooper pooper scooper so if it doesn't work out might go that way in cold climates as plastic and cold weather don't mix...

Oh for the old days when I was healthy enough to travel to N.J. shores as wet salt sand doesn't freeze....to combat cabin fever...
January 27, 2013 02:46PM
Ha Ha Ha, Dan, you crack me up....ain't it the truth though....

I was thinking of NJ's beaches myself. Not too long of a haul, but ya have to commit to it for it to happen, and, have some coffee along for the ride,,,,, a willing hunting buddy makes it more the better.

Winter here in PA is a bit hard to cope with if your use to being outside. The older I get, the more I hate the cold.

I was contemplating going to the woods to detect but just volunteered to help put down some flooring at my daughters place,,,,what does that tell ya. Yes, the flooring won out over the cold, Ha!

Still, it's a beautiful day, sun is shining, 23 degrees and the wood stove is hot....looks nice, looking out.
January 27, 2013 03:06PM
Couldn't stand it any longer and had to get a target out of the ground,... any which way but loose!

I'll weld on a few ribs to strengthen the blade, pretty happy with my "construction".

HH
Johnb
January 27, 2013 03:52PM
Heres a thought and I did it for 10 years back in the old days...Gambers bus to Atlantic City..

Need a collapsible scoop, 3 piece detector( analog CZ's work well) and dress warm as the sand don't freeze but it gets cold....need a big pair of brass B...s....

Leave the driving to the bus driver and sleep on the way home...It really works especially when the silver coins are running and old gold rings and such come into play also.