Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Back in the game

Posted by Bill B. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Back in the game
January 21, 2013 03:48PM
A couple of months ago, I decided to start hunting again after at least 10 years of inactivity. I sent my CZ6a to Nasa Tom for calibration, and he worked his electronic wizardry on it. I also bought a used E-Trac, which I'm saving to learn later.

On Saturday, I took the CZ6a with me to a nearby town for a shopping trip. On the way home, I stopped at a local park that dates back over 150 years. I climbed to the top of a short, steep hillside and started swinging the machine. After a couple of minutes, the machine gave a solid beep. The meter showed a target in the nickle range at a couple inches deep. I started to cut a plug and found the ground frozen hard. Blah. I went ahead and probed for the object. It was a metal valve-stem cap.

Not really wanting to hunt frozen ground, I headed back down the hill toward my car, swinging the detector as I went. "Beep!" I got a nice, high tone. It showed as a coin on the meter, four inches deep. Couldn't pass it up. I sawed out a plug, pinpointed the target and flipped out a coin. My brain sizzled like it had been shocked with electricity. Silver! The first coin found by my Dankowski-altered machine was a 1945-P Mercury dime.

On that note, I left the park and headed on home. But I can hardly WAIT for the spring thaw.
Re: Back in the game
January 21, 2013 07:23PM
Glad your Back..

Good luck this Spring..

The mercury dime sounds great!

Keith
January 21, 2013 07:29PM
Good deal - sounds like a fun 20 minutes (or so) of hunting to me!

HH and keep us posted with anymore finds.

MRH
January 22, 2013 01:25PM
That..... will leave a life-long lasting memorable impression in your brain!