Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hi guys any news or tests on the vista Smart

Posted by brett27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Hi guys any news or tests on the vista Smart
January 30, 2013 12:08AM
I got a chance to do a test run on my Smart this evening. The ground was thawed out from all the rain we had. Now instead of ice we got mud. I only dug two holes and gave up on the mud. The holes were filling with water as you dug. I got one signal that was about 8 inches deep around a lot of iron and the detector sorted the target from the trash and I dug down about 8 inches and found a little chip of iron fairly close to a dime size in a near circular shape. I guess the shape of it made the detector read nonferrous. The next hole yielded a round iron ring. It read non ferrous. It was about a quarter in size. I was getting pretty muddy and was afraid mamma would not let me in the house so I quit especially since my Garrett pin pointer died on me. The ring was about 5 or 6 inches deep. I am very impressed with the recovery speed on this detector. The recovery of this machine is so fast you can't be sure if you are hearing an iron false or if it is a non ferrous target until you circle it and get the right tone to dig most of the way around the target. The machine is very easy to use but as usual you need to dig a few targets to get used to its idiosyncrasies. Proper ground balancing is critical to the detectors abilities. In summary the Vista Smart is a keeper.
January 30, 2013 01:08AM
Iorn rings are hard to ignore on the Vista's....I dig them alot...but they are working as they should....Remember when the disc is set to ignore nails stuff liek iron rings will sound good...yet wiht a trained ear they have suttle clues...especially eif you pull of center ans swing the edge it will break into low tone...

the small piece of iron might be tin....that stuff sounds great...

what I can do is call a crown cap everytime...they have very unique sound to them...they sound like a flat high tone with spity edges...I hear them everytime and when I dig them up they are bottle cap's...that says alot on a 25kHz DD being able to tonaly alert you to a crown cap...

As you become accustom to the tonal qualities of the Vista's the machine becomes very conveying...I rarely dig nails...and I rarely get fooled by larger iron...tin is tricky yet tonal to...

about 20 hours in at it will really make sense...dont run the disc too low and dont accidently Knock the tone switch into all...or you will dig everything...it bypasses the Disc circuit...

Vista's are very powerful...yet simple to set up....they are like a 1266 blended with a GMP....Great disc,, great depth...they work better in the dirt than in airtest...They like a matrix to clean up the tone's and get the depth...

Keith

Keith
January 30, 2013 01:38AM
as Keith was saying about iron rings i would get a few myself but most of them would have a small non ferrous round rivet like in the ring sounding off on the 2 tone almost making you think there might be something of a small coin about the size of a trime in between which is still on my list of to find really like them coins
January 30, 2013 03:45AM
Keith and AMCJAVELIN, Thanks for the info. You are right I think the Vista goes deeper then the air tests do but the air tests are pretty good too..
January 30, 2013 08:05AM
Looking forward to the tests on the Smart, have just bought one myself, and two hours on two sites heavily detected by my Etrac in 2 tone ferrous have really opened my eyes, great recovery speed in iron and no nonsense signal response, build quality is nothing special, but should be ok. Very simple to use and set up and no need for tweaking once it's adjusted correctly to the site conditions.
January 30, 2013 11:37PM
This why i love the vista series of detectors, very simple to run and understand and yet the horse power under the hood and handling quick response of a sports car personally i like the looks of them but to most there plain jane looking but i call them sleepers NOT!!!! LOL!