Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold Hunt get's a few Civil War relics ....Video 1-24-2013

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Vista Gold Hunt get's a few Civil War relics ....Video 1-24-2013
January 25, 2013 02:53AM
Got out with the Vista Gold today ..

Managed an eagle I in a house site thats got some very bad dirt in it...The Fe bars are maxed out on the F75 and the ground reads about 93..the eagle Button was quite a surprise...I have not dug a target out of here in quite some time...The eagle button reads 24 on the F75 out of the dirt..I would wager it was reading below 15 in the dirt...No wonder it was still here...

Also managed a few pieces of small camp lead...

then moved on to another house site later in the day...managed an 11 inch deep 3 ringer and a brass buckle and a spencer hull fired...

I am starting to click with the audio in the iron now....it has taken me about 3 weeks to get my setting's right and now I am starting to see result's ..I have it dialed in..

This is the fist machine I have ever ran that will find non ferrous items next to larger iron...By this I mean I can find coin sized objects next to a piece of iron larger than the coin sized object....

I keep repeating it over and over...Pulling things out of nails is one thing but pulling target out of iron larger than nails or larger than the non ferrous target being found is something very unique...

The Vista Gold is proving to be a force to be reckoned with in iron and out...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:59AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Vista Gold Hunt get's a few Civil War relics ....Video 1-24-2013
January 25, 2013 03:24AM
Keith your terrain it up
January 25, 2013 04:11AM
Keith, when you are running in heavy iron, do you lower the iron volume, so the hi tones jump out more, or do you keep the 2 volumes the same? Im just trying to get a feel as to how important the iron volume is. I notice the smart does not have an iron vol. control.
Looking Good Keith!!
January 25, 2013 05:26AM
Great flick. I just got my 8x11 for the 1000 today, hope to get out Saturday with it. I wonder if your dirt is as hot as the dirt around Cullpepper VA? I'm taking the 1000 to DIV and I already have some nay-sayers telling me they will not do well there.
January 25, 2013 05:46AM
Hey Possum,,

When I get into really thick iron and stay there for more than a few minutes...I like to drop the iron volume down to about midway.
It makes the hunt alot more pleasurable...

The High tone will jump out at you even with the iron volume turned up...But it is so much less fatiguing when it's lowered...In certian instances the lowered iron could sort of cause a weak high tone to be burried in the more powerful grunt's also...

I think iron volume once used is a REQUIRED setting to have if you spend alot of time in ALOT of iron for a lengthy period...

Can help you on the Smart YET...Should have one to use very shortly...I will do some real world hunt's with 3 Vista's to see which does what...

Heres what I am hung on right now..

The 25khz really light's up a site..The Smart is on 15kHz less reactive to small and low condcutor's...

The Gold has a slow and fast setting...the slow snags target's at really deep depth's...The gold in SLOW/BOOSTED so far seems more powerful than a wide open Explorer with same size coil...

The SMART only has one setting ..I would think it's fast? or maybe it's sort of between fast and slow...more like the RG 1000 speed..which is fast but a little less than the fast GOLD...and it's on 12.5kHz real close to 15kHz..

When I Boost the FAST on the gold it does not make a whole lot of difference on depth it's different but not alot ...but when I jump into slow the depth gets crazy deep...

I believe if the RG 1000 had a Boost mode but no slow mode as it does not it still would not hear the deepest of thing's the GOLD is hearing in slow...

The slow is sort of tricky to run when boosted but it gets the goodie's at depth easier than most any machine I have ever used...

Slow is very unique it still unmask great in iron as the audio allows for blending ..But keps the depth up to great depth's...

But all I have right now is speculation...

The Gold suits me like a glove....I can Honestly say it works very well for relic hunting in old habitation site's...I cant understand hpw 25kHz gets so deep in the ground...yet is very controlled and has a great disc circuit..I rarely dig nails...not sure I have dug over 10 nails since having the machine...It handles and punches mineral very well..The platform also find's small non ferous target's next to larger ferrous target's better than any machine I have ever used...

The 25 kHz is a little tricky to run around tin....The 15khz might reject such thing's better?Me peronally not a problem I will dig tin to get the expanded resolution benefit...

The trick to unmasking in small iron is to have a machine with a wide bottom end disc circuit.....
Most machine's will reject a nail and just a tad more and your in the foil.....
On a Vista ...You reject a nail and the foil reject never happen's..and you can get a nail to low tone at 9 oclock and over at 5 oclock the disc is wide open and foil is still there...so what happens is you have this broad window between nail and foil for other target's to report..intermingled target's...co-located target's..It really does unmask on another level when this is being done...

People who get the Vista's I hope use no more than nail reject on their sites to get the full benefit oif the unmasking....dont run them up to the edge of foil ...you willl overlook CERTIAN target's...target's other machines are already overlooking by their design ...I hope they dont buy the machine and then set them detrimental to the hunt.Might as well not bought a Vista if you set it up to run like other machine's..

Use the expanded resolution of the Vista's to your advantage and Certian thing's will come to light ...

The Vista's will force you to dig target's you may have never thought of digging before...Some will like this approach some will wonder what they have done to deserve this...but it work's as designed to a T...But it need's to be used with a complete understanding of what is going to happen...and use it for intended design purpose and people will be quite pleased..

I believe the GOLD is designed to be their premier iron site un-locker for low conductor's...Remember a silver coin intermingled with nails can read lower than foil...Thats a low conductor in the eyes of the machine...

I think the GOLD is their fastest reactivity machine....And have a feeling the deepest on lower condcutor's no matter the freq, the slow and boost together throw the text book scenario of What 25kHz is SUPPOSED to do out the window.....

Keith
Re: Looking Good Keith!!
January 25, 2013 06:00AM
I dont Know Mark...

I have some pretty bad red clay and iron ore type dirt's.I am in the Gold Belt and also iron and copper is naturally occuring in my dirt...theres iron ore mines and copper mines close to the house hear along with gold mine's.....But I hear Culpepper is very very bad.....

Thats why they hunt there LOL!!! most machines have never been able to pull items there so items are still left there...

People telling you they wont work... how many have been used there? a couple maybe?

I have a feeling it will work ...They use MXT's and X5's so this is like a blend of both with a twist...

Living and hunting bad dirt my whole life has taught me alot about how dirt mask...Slow down...lowest disc possible.Take a chane on weaker iron hit's that are tight...as much power as possible (contrary to popular belief)...Bad dirt attentuates a signal quickly some say turn the power back ,,,but If I do in my dirt I might as well of stayed home and watched Gun Smoke...( MY favorite show by the way)
January 25, 2013 07:36AM
Keith, sounds good.
I have a question about that iron that is bigger than nails but not really huge.

Take this scenario...not in the nail beds but say you are out in the more open spaces (trashwise).
And you get a hit on a carriage bolt or broken cast iron stove thin small pieces or other small-mid-size iron objects.

What I would like to know is if the Vista Gold is able to give you clues that these items are indeed iron?
Whether it be in the size of the scan and/or the edges of the object having an "iron" sound.
I am curious if the audio report/pinpointing or whatever slight tangables to where you can sort of "call it" before you dig.
Thanks For Your Tips Keith
January 25, 2013 12:19PM
Look forward to giving it a go, heck, I might even try to get a Gold before I go!!!!!............Mark
Re: Thanks For Your Tips Keith
January 25, 2013 12:45PM
Keith,

"Same size coil" is "key". . . . especially for head-to-head.

Good well-articulated write-up........ again.
January 25, 2013 04:45PM
Love the video would like to hear more of the iron mixed in with a relic. The way you dig how does your wrist hold up? I can't do that I would have a huge problem at some point. I work in the medical field and see this happen to a lot of different people that over use their wrists and end up having to stop what they are doing and ware a brace for around three months. And if they are not careful it comes back again. Carpal tunnel be careful my friend...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 02:48AM by Lawrenzo.
January 25, 2013 05:26PM
Yes Steve..

At first you may not notice the nuances of the larger iron signal, But after you get in tune with the audio iron has a signature even if its mostly high toning it will still give a scratch to it...the only iron that will fool you is the real deep like past 14 inch plow points and such sizes....yet they also will have a little blurp on the edges...

The shallow larger iron is easy...the deep iron is a litle more difficult sometimes but not all the time...What casues the larger deep iron to catch you out is the depth makes the footprint smaller like a silver dollar size target 8 inches deep...and the iron fizz on the edges of the high beep can fool especially if you are in smaller iron to boot...you can be tricked into thinking it's a good conductor in some smaller iron...

I have been runing it about a month now the Gold that is, and the tonal qualities are really starting to click with me..I have about 50 hours on it ..and thats about right to get in tune to get a free flowing channel of info happening with you and machine...Anyone who says they can get the most out of a machine and tell you what it is capable of are not being truly honest with themselves or anyone else in that matter...

Its easy to use no doubt...yet like any machine to jump to the next level in iron a few hunt's will get you dialed in...and switch manipulation from slow to fast also is one eye opening experience...I leave Boost on all the time..Everywhere I hunt is already dead horsed...

One thing of the utmost importance to get the most of the audio is get some low ohm headphone's...paper cones seem the best....

Im finding the 8 ohms Treasure wise to be the best...I thought they were 32 but they are 8..I tried some 32 and they were not as good...150 sound awful like tin can's with no nuance..

The treasure wise are old school types like we used in the 80's but hey they will hold up and for the money grab a couple of pair...Stay away form the calrad's they have the clear see through cones and are a bit different in their tonal reproduction...

Treasure Wise all the way in my opinion on these unit's...Just my take though..

Keith
January 25, 2013 07:48PM
That video reinforced my decision to go with the GOLD. The soil in the country where I search for relic is orange red and is very limiting, Great vid as always Keith,
January 26, 2013 05:56AM
Thanks Keith for the reply, no doubt others were interested in the subtleties of the Vista Gold.
January 26, 2013 07:48AM
Keith, I would not bet the farm on this. Remember, the 25kHz is not supposed to go that deep either but it is on the Vista Gold. I think they found some way of tweaking these as not so much the size of the target matters in relation to the kHz. When I did a quick test run with my Smart, before the snow came, I was getting tons of signals and I did dig a few and they were tiny. I mean tiny bits of foil.

Why can I not add a chart I have? I cant seem to add attachments, can you tell me how to do this? It seems to work for you.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> The 25khz really light's up a site..The Smart is
> on 15kHz less reactive to small and low
> condcutor's...
>
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 07:53AM by goldmanjace.
January 26, 2013 07:06PM
Yes Goldman All seculation at the moment..

I like to think outloud...but that's just me weaving thought's...Anyhting is possible as we are seeing wiht the Gold ,freq means little with some of the newer machines coming on the market in the last few year's..

I think manufactur's have found that they can really push the the power to the higher freq's and they can handle it...

I love to hunt with high freq machine's...

They seem reactive and sparky and thats a plus...Site igniter's if you will...

I am not discounting nothing on the SMART just some random rambling's...

heres a link to the pic post Goldman

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Keith
January 26, 2013 09:58PM
thanks Keith. You will soon have more units to test. AMC has a package ready you :-)
January 26, 2013 11:27PM
Thanks Keith for sharing another video with the Vista Gold, can hardly wait to get mine but until then will enjoy reading and viewing material shared by you and others.

I have a question reguarding the old style 8 ohm headphones working best with the Vista Gold, I know you're getting allot of questions but if you can answer at your convenience would really appreciate the help.

My question is do you think the Vista Gold will work with one 8 ohm ear speaker instead of two? When I hunt inland perfer using one ear cup like the Rattlesnake type from Detector Pro, Can't use the Rattlesnake phone since they are I beleive 150 ohms but was thinking of gutting out the rattlesnake speaker and replacing it with one old style paper 8 ohm speaker.

Appreciate your thoughts, Do you feel one 8 ohm speaker will still relay all the audio information two 8 ohm speakers would.

Thanks,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 11:32PM by Old California.
January 27, 2013 02:18AM
Hey Paul, I know why you want one speaker( rattlers, tweakers, growers) but don't ya just stick one cup up off your ear? That's what I often do, never been a problem. BTW, sending off some pickers on Monday to Midwest or Garfield, then can justify to my boss why I need another $900 detector, lol.Later, Ray
January 27, 2013 04:18AM
Hi Ray,

That is great you have some pickers to sell every dollar you recoup from finds helps allot especially when upgrading, with the price of gold doesn't take much to bring a smile ear to ear.

Yes, You nailed my reasoning for wearing one ear cup headphones. Hunting in Ghettos, Rattlers out in the bush and detecting under other dangerous environments like to be alert.

Moving one headphone cup to the side is ok for most the time but during the hot summer months fills more comfortable with one ear cup, plus less chance of snagging the dangling ear cup on a limb or brush.

Think I'll go ahead and replace the Rattlesnake speaker with the 8 ohm one, get the headset ready before the Vista Gold arrives. Already have an extra Rattlesnake headset, its beatup but serves its purpose.

Congrats with making finds to help pay for the upgrade, great hobby for sure.
Paul (Ca)
January 27, 2013 04:27AM
This may be off subject but wanted to share something about head protection, about a year now been wearing plastic bump caps whenever I detect. Great for hunting out in the bush in fact for all metal detecting applications, not the big construction type bump caps but the sporty type with cloth cap cover, in fact they resemble a base ball cap with a hidden plastic bump shield underneath the cap.

Already saved me from great pain countless times, never hunt without one.

Take care,
Paul
January 27, 2013 04:35AM
I beleive the Vista's are using a stereo set up instead of a mono...yet I am sure if you wire it properly it will run one phone....

I beleiev once you got use to it it will be fine...proabably better to star twiht one and learn it instead of going from 2 to 1...

ought to be fine..

Good luck with it...

I like to but paper cones into the killer b type muff's....you can get a set of those muffs for like 12 bucks off ebay and build your own headphones...

Keith
January 27, 2013 05:44AM
Thanks Keith,

You're right, best start off using one ear cup so I'll get a set ready before the Gold arrives.

Really perfer using one headphone muff for inland hunting, even wading in fresh water but for ocean use two muffs due to the wave noise.

Thanks again,
Paul
January 27, 2013 04:17PM
I found this wrte-up of the Vista gold that helped with the design and results of the original protype. It was written by Martin in Germany.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My first experiences with the VISTA GOLD

Plamen - the developer and founder of Deep Tech asked me 3 months ago to test his newest development, the VISTA GOLD, to examine what should be still improved or must be changed. I made this with big joy because I love the Vista series of Deep Tech.

My first impression of the GOLD was the new design, which I liked immediately. The series of the Vistas is continued optically also in the new GOLD. But inside everything is new. Now the electronics is made in SMD technology and contain something of new equipment. New is the Switch for Fast and Slow Recovery Speed, the Iron Volume adjustment and a Booster for extra power.

With this prototype it went directly in the wood. After I had make a ground adjustment the detector runs very quietly in DISK mode and also in the 2 Ton All metal mode. The first hours I test the 2-tone mode. My first hit was a little copper coin 1 Pfennig from 1889 in approx. 9” with a clear high tone. I still had some good signals though there was present no more coin but a lot of very small objects little lead bullets and other very small things from broken Shells fragments, all in good depth. Little Iron was always signaled with a low tone. Two very strong signals turned out medieval horseshoes from the 15 centuries. These also became with the high tone were announced with a short low tone at end as an iron to recognize. The deep was approx. 20”. This was my first search with the GOLD in the wood and I was very impressed about the deep, the fast Recovery Speed and the clear sound of the detector.

Now it should go on the field, very much contaminates with iron and Roman ceramics. I switched on the machine and made the ground adjustment. At first I would test the 2-Tone modus, but after a few meters the detector became many sturgeon signals. After a new ground adjustment it even went for a few meters. Thus I had to break off. The detector cannot be calmed. He recognized the ceramics and gave disturbances of himself. Also of wide attempts remained fruitless. In the wood and on clean surfaces the GOLD ran very quietly, however, on heavy surfaces the detector was simply not to be got quiet. The ground comparison was too sensitive and admitted only low changes in the ground. I explained the mistakes Plamen and Rossi (Plamen’s nice wife) and sent the detector back to change the problems.

After one month I got back the GOLD. Plamen said to me that he have found the problem and has carried out other improvements.

With big expectation I went again to a Roman Side. This time a friend with his Fisher F75 went with me. I turn the detector on, has made the Ground adjustment and switch on the 2-tone All metal mode. Wow what a different to my first Impression on this field. The detector ran absolutely quietly without sturgeon noises. We went for a few roads. Iron was announced perfectly with deep tones. Because there was a lot of iron I regulated IRON VOLUME down. This has the advantage that the search one so heavy with iron contaminated sides becomes more pleasant and you can hear deep or very small good objects better. My first good hits were little pieces of lead but after a few meters I have my first roman coin. A little roman Follis with a diameter of 10mm in very good deep. My friend checked this signal with his Fisher F75 and can’t get any tone ? After 2 hours of search on this side I have had 6 coins (2 Follis, 2 copper coins from the 17 Century, 2 very small silver coins also from the 17 Century) a lot of lead, one piece of a fibula and some buttons. No coin was bigger than 15mm. My friend with his Fisher F75 only have found in the same time only one bigger coin and some lead. He was annoyed very much and already wanted to smash his Fisher smiling smiley

Other days with the VISTA GOLD followed and I could ascertain no more problems but many good founds. Also I have made comparative tests with other detectors on my test field. I can say that no other analogous detector could reach the values of the VISTA GOLD. Even of the GMP II has no chance against him. Test you can find on www.detektorforum.de

Plamen has built a very good detector that so easily shall not be hit. For me the best detectors that I ever had have in my hands.

Many thanks to Plamen I take off my hat to Him.

Greetings,

Martin from Germany

January 27, 2013 09:42PM
Very interesting report, and one of the few comparing the Gold against a non-Vista machine.

I wonder how it would test against the LTD in boost mode?
January 28, 2013 03:45AM
Thanks Manly.,,

I had read that before but forgot about it...

Thank's for posting it up...

Keith
January 31, 2013 01:38PM
Keith, thanks for the videos and all the time you spent working on them. You are very generous sharing your information and time.
February 03, 2013 01:18AM
You are quite welcome hungarian...

Thank you

Keith
February 03, 2013 04:25AM
Thanks for sharing another great vid
cd