Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector w/magnetic detection...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detector w/magnetic detection...
January 26, 2013 06:50PM
Is there any reason that a normal metal detector could not be designed with the added ability to detect magnetic targets such as the Fisher Fx-3 ferrous locator does? If this were possible there would not be a need for the detector to differeniate between ferrous and non-ferrous in the conventional way which causes iron falsing. Well... many not. You would probably still have some high tone iron falsing on some ferrous targets, but you could activate the circuit that would replicate the Fx-3 and tell instantly if it were ferrous or not.

Any company working on this?
Re: Detector w/magnetic detection...
January 26, 2013 06:57PM
I have often thought of a P.I. with a magnetometer switch on it..

Keith
January 26, 2013 08:00PM
I think one company had a product...if I remember correctly called ferrous hound.
It could be mounted on coil, I think.

There is one problem that I see with this, while it might work somewhat in open spaces, I don't think it would do too well
with co-located items or nail beds since I doubt it would not have a tight enough downward focal point.
January 26, 2013 08:52PM
Steve, I looked up the ferrous hound. It looks interesting. No price that I can see on the website. The site says it works better with a DD coil (I think). I would be nice to see this device in video somewhere.
Anonymous User
January 27, 2013 12:00AM
There are a number of PI's with magnetometers...expensive.......