Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Silver Rock Hunting With an F-75 Metal Detector

Posted by HumblePie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Silver Rock Hunting With an F-75 Metal Detector
August 11, 2009 06:22AM
Hi Everyone,

After receiving a few more requests lately wrt viewing the original, illustrated article, I've reposted it on a different forum (mostly because I know how to easily post pictures there). Frankly I'm surprised but pleased that some hobbyists have shown an interest. Its been five/six months since it has been available to viewers at that location, but then I'm also aware its been copied elsewhere without the attached photos.

The article is mostly for F-75 users and those who otherwise may have an interest in searching for rocks containing precious metals...electronic prospecting.

With NASA Tom's generous approval I'm providing the link below, but do request that if anyone has comment/discussion, to please do so on this forum. I'll be around for a short while yet, prior to heading off prospecting for several months. Thanks again Tom.

[forum.treasurenet.com]

Thats it, good luck and HH,

Jim.
Re: Silver Rock Hunting With an F-75 Metal Detector
August 11, 2009 12:31PM
Very good reading.
Thanks
August 11, 2009 03:27PM
Thanks Mark, I probably should've included more on iron mineralization wrt ground phase vs Fe3O4 readings, but that can always be discussed in a forthcoming, more applicable essay on gold prospecting with the F-75...and in conjunction with sluicing as well.

Jim.
August 12, 2009 11:07AM
Jim,

This is a very comprehensive/thorough write-up..... that is fun, educational and interesting. Many have never been exposed to this type of hunting. A 'new' door. Many thanks for ALL of your concerted efforts!

Tom
August 14, 2009 01:05AM
Jim - thanks for your informative article. Those silver specimens have more value than most gold nuggets that dectorist find. I just got back from the Klamath and struck out - no gold but the experience counts and I found an unusual "fluted" type of shist which I have never seen before. Good luck on your continued silver detecting!
August 14, 2009 07:23PM
Tom, thankyou. I sometimes wonder if I don't enjoy testing detectors against various minerals as much as searching for them. My earliest recollections of childhood interests recall a fascination with varius rock minerals. Thus, the use of a metal detector later in life seems a perfectly natural venue. A passion and doubtless, an obsession. Since I enjoy it thoroughly, it must be a healthy pursuit!

Lance, I sort of had you in mind when I reposted the article, so I'm pleased you enjoyed it. Nothing new under the sun really, but sharing ideas and information with other similar minded/interested hobbyists like yourself is very satisfying to me, and makes the work worthwhile. I hope if anyone disagrees with anything or has questions...they will speak-up.

I've had a few readers question my contention about silver conductivities in my area. They feel that silver should be right up there in the copper/silver coin range. That would normally be the case were it not for iron/cobalt and other low conductive mineral inclusions that really drag down the conductive levels on silver there...structure is the other big factor, regardless of size/shape.

I just recently had access to quite a few copper specimens from Michigans upper peninsula. With one major exception where the copper was attached to substantial rock mineral unfamiliar to me, all read very high conductivity (mid 70's to mid 90's) regardless of size or shape...a new experience for me. The largest sample (about 12 to 15 lbs estimated) read mid 50's, and I believe this was entirely due to the attached rock mineral. I'd like to get a good sample of "greenstone" to run some quick tests, and will probably head over to the area next summer to get some samples.

Yes, on the subject of value, many "gold" hunters don't seem to fully appreciate the value of other mineral specimens regardless of their metal type. A friend just returned with a copper sample with a scant "plating" of silver on one side only. The sample would weigh approx 3 to 4 grams, about an inch long-3/4 inch wide and maybe 1/2 inch thick, but not solid. He paid $50 for this specimen, whereas the metal value alone might add up to what...maybe a dollar or somewhat less. Typical.

I see your views were right on the money regarding California banning dredging. I have no idea if this ban is pending further "studies" or not. It will be interesting to see if the ban results in a decreased interest in establishing/maintaining claims.

Last thing..the "fluted schist" if you have the time can you post a photo over under the silver article. Only if its convenient Lance, I'd like to have a look.

Thats it for now, would enjoy hearing anything about your trip you might want to post or not,

Jim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 07:26PM by HumblePie.
August 17, 2009 01:33AM
Great post jim..Good to see more of your awesome photo's..Me and the Family just got back ...today... from the Great Smokey mtns of NC..And we did some Gem Mining For Anything and Everything..I have some goodies in the Tumbler...It Really grounded me In the Beauty of the Differant Specimens out there..And the Kids Loved it..Good luck on your up and Comming trip..Watch out for the Bears..james.
August 17, 2009 07:50PM
Hi James,

Just delighted to learn you've been out with the family looking at gems. North Carolina is the place to be from all I've read. Everything under the sun, including good gold. I expect one day Joanne and I will down to see you folks, and have a peek around Boone County for relics.

Now as to gems, I've been thinking of a portable UV shortwave light for sapphires and rubies...materials that can be found in streambeds we prospect for gold. More research on this subject is in order, but will have to wait until I return early next November. Might be very useful for you James...

Now as to bears, well...there is always the potential for unplanned meetings. Most bears are sensible and let things be. Their sense of smell is highly developed, thus I never carry food...and reduce the odds of encounters. As you know we cannot use handguns up here, so there is little protection to be had. Still, I don't intend to give up prospecting for any reason.

Take care James, please pass along my best to the family,

Jim.
August 23, 2009 03:22AM
Any time Jim, We'll be sure to Hunt my Dads place for Civil War goodies and Hit the 1st Gold Mine Discovered in the US....
Jim your Idea using the Lazer light sounds intresting Great Idea..We Seen our first bear Cub up in Gatlinburg Tenn, while on our trip..An Amazing Animal...
I cant wait to Hear how the F75 and other machines Do for you Hunting the Whopper Silver Nuggets..Best of luck to ya..Look Forward to Meeting You and the Misses in the Near Future..Be Safe..James...