Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How deep should I bury the coin cache

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How deep should I bury the coin cache
February 01, 2013 06:37AM
Should I have the top of the lid 2 foot down...or the bottom of the jar 2 foot down...

We will call this the American Hoard test LOL!!!

I dont want to keep having to open the hole up to get to where only one hit's it..Need it deep to start with...

I am sure the old timer's did not bury their Cache too deep...2 foot to the top of the lid and your arm would of been burried up to the armpit ...

My grandad said they liked to use the barb Wire fence post ...pull ths post out drop the jar in cut enough off the bottom of the pole to keep it from sticking up higher than the rest of poles....I guess a post was in the ground about 18 inches or so...

So a 18 inch hole with a 9 inch jar would only have your deposit only 9 inches at the top...

That's no good for the depth test......

In all reality I will probably be reading the lid more than the coin's....

Just thought it would be a informative test to see which Vista report's the best....

Keith
Re: How deep should I bury the coin cache
February 01, 2013 07:36AM
For a target that size I'd go about 20 inches from lid to surface....2 feet might be pushing it a bit.....I think you need to
dig sideways at the bottom and insert the jar as shown here on Gary's website so that you are detecting through undisturbed ground....otherwise people might not accept the result.

[www.garysdetecting.co.uk]
February 01, 2013 09:35AM
Hey Keith also how about trying like a tobacco tin or something like that up here in the north east i know a few guys that have found some tin cashes like these
February 01, 2013 09:47AM
Gary's hoard test was 'replicated' by Carl Moreland on his Geotech1 website. Virtually nothing detected it:
[www.geotech1.com]
Making it 2 to 4 inches shallower is likely to bring it into the range of more detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 09:52AM by Pimento.
February 01, 2013 09:53AM
james1969 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For a target that size I'd go about 20 inches from
> lid to surface....2 feet might be pushing it a
> bit.....I think you need to
> dig sideways at the bottom and insert the jar as
> shown here on Gary's website so that you are
> detecting through undisturbed ground....otherwise
> people might not accept the result.
>
>
> [www.garysdetecting.co.uk]

I have to agree with James here

20 inches from lid to surface seems like a good/fair depth in giving all 4 machines a chance

if it were laying sideways - I'd say 2ft easy :-)
February 01, 2013 10:23AM
my hoard test is at 18 inches in a flat plastic bag , and all my machines find it ,T2 LTD, Deus ,Umax with SEF coil , and my flattened beer can at 24 inches they all find ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 10:24AM by diggers.
February 01, 2013 12:08PM
its probably best to remove the iron lid and put a plastic bag over unless its a copper lid i would bury it 2ft 9 inches and dig the hole then place it in the side ,so its undisturbed smiling smiley
February 01, 2013 01:54PM
Yes, 20" from surface to jar lid........ and for multiple reasons.
February 01, 2013 02:05PM
Personally unless you are in the boonies or are looking for specific known target no one is going to dig over a foot but imagine 12 to 18 inches would be in the ballpark....as doubt if many were buried any deeper....post hole banks indeed were popular especially in the vicinty of livestock. After digging over a foot for a copper kettle and a horshoe or two one wonders how many are left in the ground especially if you have a conventional digger and not a shovel....Garrett and several other manufacturers have devices to go real
deep but the conventional coil is limited for sure...
February 01, 2013 02:07PM
"for multiple reasons"

You have probably spelled out those reason in other gold related thread but I would love to hear you expound on those. For some reason I never get tired of learning all I can about the wheres and why's of the old timer cache burying mentality.
February 01, 2013 03:23PM
Keith, how about a buried 14k ring test? Man, we're going to keep you going full time here, LOL.
February 01, 2013 05:13PM
There are many types and styles of fences. Today the parts are pre-made, just dig the holes w/ a post hole digger to a certain depth and at the correct distances and bingo.

A 4' high split rail fence post is dug 30 to 32 inches deep, that is if you want to keep the 2 spaces between the rails even. The line post is 7' long total with 3 pre-drilled elongated holes.

Question is, what style of fence could have been around the property being searched and what was the standard depth for a post vs height of fence, back then.....I venture to say the standard depth lived on.

So if the standard remains, according to the depth of the split rail posts above, the depth is about 38% of the length of the post....32" divided by 84" = .38
February 02, 2013 12:13AM
My XP Deus rings hard and true on a coin. Even at depth. But a Union CW button laying flat, in ANY frequency (especially 4 of course) is somehow a stuggle for it, although I have found buttons with it. I feel that I have missed some. I have a button buried at 7 inches at ID's it at 26!!!!! My Teknetics G2 ID'd buttons up in the coin range and really rang out. I don't know what it is about buttons, whether it's the iron shank, or what, that makes my Deus struggle with buttons.
I am hoping that my 25 khz Vista Gold will really pull some (up to now) unseen buttons from the depths. Any buried button tests results will be received with eagerness.
Perhaps I'll get to see for myself next week. In fact, I am counting on it.
February 02, 2013 12:59AM
I think that if I were buring a cache of coins in the 1800's, I would place the jar on the side. Less depth would be required, water would not collect on the lid, BUT, the jar would be stronger if it is standing upright.
It would take more pressure from a wagon , horse or person standing on it the break the glass. Depth, would depend on how easy it is to dig the spot I chose. If near a tree, it would not be very deep. If near a fence post, it would be as deep as possible. I would choose flat ground to eliminate errosion, near a land mark I could remember.

But to answer your question:
I have no idea.......lol

Tom in SC
February 02, 2013 01:26AM
The only metal should be the coins - so no aluminum lids.
The depth should be measured from the top of the coins not top of lid. That is, 19" to lid, plus 1" to coins.
20" is likely deep enough. Your mineralized soil will attenuate the signal far more than the tests done to 25" (to top of coin)
Place the jar in a side-hole so the dirt above is undisturbed.
Since you've dug the hole, you might as well place a silver coin in a side-hole at 14" on the opposite side. That would be a challenge for any detector.
February 02, 2013 11:23AM
Quote:"you might as well place a silver coin in a side-hole at 14 inches"
This was intended to be one of Gary's tests - a 92% silver sixpence (a close dime equivalent) at 10 inches. But it seems no machine gave a worthwhile signal, so the test was abandoned, and it doesn't get mentioned anymore.
February 02, 2013 04:19PM
**** . But it seems no machine gave a worthwhile signal, so the test was abandoned, and it doesn't get mentioned anymore. ****

Yep. There were other tests run in dirt with DISC settings that produced a maximum diggable signal in mineralized beach sand on the silver Spanish Eight Reale (38mm dia.) to: 19" (Minelab Excalibur w/ 10" coil) and to 16" (Minelab Sovereign XS w/ 12" coil) and to 14" (Minelab Sovereign XS w/ 8" coil)

At 14" deep the Minelab Explorer SE would pick up a copper George III halfpenny in UK soil with DISC set to reject nails and small iron.

The silver sixpence (19mm dia. x 1mm thick) was tested with White's DFX (9.5" coil) in the air with a maximum detection of 10", the XP GoldMaxx (9" coil) to 12.5", a Nexus (4" coil) to 13", a Nexus (6" coil) to 14", a Minelab Explorer XS-2 (8" coil) to 13", a Nexus (9" coil) to 18" (all in the air).

So, the silver sixpence in mineralized ground would probably be undetectable at 10" for most detectors, except perhaps for one of the Nexus detectors with a 6-9" coil (or maybe a Vista Smart?).

The silver Reale would give a stronger signal (twice the size and thicker) and probably be detectable to 12-14" in ground on a few detectors. It would be interesting to see if the Deeptech's Vista Smart would detect it at ~14".
February 02, 2013 04:50PM
In extremly mild soil i think you could get a signal, but i think you would have to be paying close attention
February 03, 2013 07:26AM
I would keep the zinc lid off the jar and cover with plastic.There is alot of mass here and anything short of 22-24 inches from top of jar to surface just is not pushing the envelope far enough on this new detector technology.Steve
February 03, 2013 12:36PM
Keith, I buried one when I left NH 10 years ago and moved to Maine, I had a mason jar with a tin lid and buried it about a 16 inches down, I could pick it up with my XLT, I wrote my name and phone # in the lid , it is near the first cellar hole I ever found, it was a bunch of coins and buttons and silver, never got a call yet, I have 2 more I'm going to bury this spring, one will be at the beach and the other in a field I hunt a lot, I have 2 mason jars of beach clad I need to get rid of, it annoys me to look at it haha