Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

4" x 6" concentric or 5"DD for F75

Posted by mikewaz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
4" x 6" concentric or 5"DD for F75
August 13, 2009 05:45PM
Hi everyone!

There are quite a few areas I hunt in that are just loaded with pulltabs, screwcaps and bottle tops so I want to get a small coil to squeeze out some keepers from in between the trash.

If you have either or both of these coils I'd love to get your feedback. I know the stock 11" hit the caps pretty hard and I can pretty much tell the difference between a coin and a cap, but I still dig my share of 'em.

I think the concentric might be a better choice for these type of areas but that's only because I know the DD's are more prone to problems with bottle caps.
I'm also more concerned about EMI than mineralization here in Chicago, so that's another factor thrown in the mix.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
Re: 4" x 6" concentric or 5"DD for F75
August 13, 2009 06:02PM
Aluminum screwcaps will always look like a good coin to a detector. Steel bottlecaps are a different story...... especially with a DD configuration coil. Try manually dropping your Disc 10 to 30 points BELOW where the unit will actually Grnd Bal. I remember Itasca/Chicago Grnd Bal was around 45 to 62. If this is the case for you...... drop your Grnd Bal down to around 32..... and see if this gives you better resolution with these steel bottlecaps. Try this before investing in a new coil.
August 14, 2009 02:54AM
Thanks for the advice there Tom. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try that out this weekend if it's not 100 degrees. I was opting for the small coil because I've used my 3" coil on my 1266 in situations super trashy sites and have cleaned up where others have gotten skunked.

I've gotten a little spoiled with all of the information I now get using the F75 and figured the smaller coil would again give me an edge, but hey, I'm all for saving some money, especially the way things are today.

Thanks again and as soon as I give this method a shot I'll post my results.

Mike
August 14, 2009 08:07PM
Hmmmmmm. If you have experienced the 3" 1266-X coil....... you might want the 5" DD F75 coil. I would STILL recommend the different Grnd Bal settings first.
August 14, 2009 08:29PM
There's only one thing I want to stress again is that I'm not that concerned over ID'ing the bottle caps, I am more concerned about the volume of pulltabs and caps in some of the areas I want to hit.

One spot is an area around an old concession stand that had been at the location from roughly the turn of the century until the 70's. I'm not exagerating here, but I bet there's one pulltab, screwcap or rusted bottle cap in every square inch of this spot. It's maddening to say the least, but exciting in a way because I know it's masking a ton of old coins.

I was leaning towards the smaller coil just so there wouldn't be a dozen items at one time under my stock coil.

Mike
August 14, 2009 08:55PM
Mike I have both of these coils on my F70 and aside from the much slower coverage rate, the 5" DD is a great little coil, it's surgical. I was able to unmask a Barber dime that was being masked by a gold plated steel core Victorian era heart shaped locket. When you'd scan the heart from one direction you'd mainly get iron'ish TIDs, but from another direction I was able to pick out the coin, and when I dug both targets a couple of inches from each other, I was impressed the little coil was able to pull the coin signal out from an iron signal in an area that had been seriously pounded by Explorers, CZs and F75s. I think for your situation the 5" DD is the way to go, as the concentric coil will see more targets, although you'll get better coverage, but it doesn't sound like that's a concern.
August 15, 2009 01:05AM
Thanks for your reply Cal. I read your post and was impressed how you squeezed that dime out of a tough spot the way you did. In fact your post is one of the reasons why I'm considering the 5" coil.
Thanks Again and Happy Hunting!
Mike
August 15, 2009 03:36AM
Why not get both then you can't lose I have both and like a golfer you pick your coil and if it does not do the job try another one. Cal you almsot have every detector made.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 15, 2009 04:43AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cal you almost have every detector made.

Hey Lawrenzo,

Not quite, but I have more then I need. Ultimately I'm trying to get it down to three detectors - one salt water beach detector, which I'm perfectly happy with my Sovereign, and two multipurpose coin/relic machines (one main, and one backup) that are good in thick iron, can handle San Francisco style EMI, get F75/CZ/Exp depth, and have good unmasking/trash capabilities. I'd like them both to be a bit different, as different frequency machines and coil designs uncover targets differently (in other words I wouldn't want an F75 and a F70, or a F5 and an Omega, too similar, although I do now have an F5 and Omega, but one will go).

So far, I haven't found what I'm looking for, but I have hope to as I recently picked up a new ID Edge and an Omega. I've barely tested either unit, but next week I plan to take them both out to a couple of spots, the Edge with the 10.5" coil and the Omega with the 11" DD and compare then head to head. Considering they both MSRP for about the same price ($599 for the Omega vs. $649 for the Edge) it should be an interesting test. I've read many threads about how great the Edge is in iron (read ALL the old Findmall Edge threads), with great depth and separation capabilities, and have been reading similar reports about the Omega since the 11" DD came out for it. I'll test them and post a report next week, and who knows, perhaps my first....gulp....video !!!

Tomorrow I'm taking my parents to the taping of the Antiques Roadshow in San Jose, should be interesting, but no detecting this weekend. I know one of the appraisers on there, so we got VIP passes, whatever that means :-)

hh,
Brian
August 15, 2009 12:01PM
Mike,

If you have the time & energy....... you should try an experiment in the high trash area that you are referencing. Take a 5-foot by 5-foot area..... and clean out ALL targets WITH the detector (do not dig a pit and excavate)...... paying extremely close attention to how many targets UNDERNEATH each target that you recover.... suddenly becomes 'unmasked'. It's a painful...... but PRICELESS educational exercise.... and can be very rewarding with a few old coins recovered.
It's not the value of the old coins recovered that is important; rather, it's that priceless education acquired.

Tom
August 15, 2009 02:38PM
A friend got the V3 and said it really is sweet and fast and gives him more info on trash then the F75..time will tell what that machine can do. I will just hold onto my money the F75 almost never lets me down. Today we are hunting the castle for more history we have donated most of our finds. Crosby and Rybo found a lot of old buttons and relics. This fall Crosby is going to come hunt the armay camp that dates back to the 1830...we found six army buckles from that sight and a few dragon buttons and a lot of other old stuff half dimes.

It will be a first for Crosby to have a chance to find some real old history.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 18, 2009 12:55PM
That's exactly what a few of us are going to do on this site. We've already pulled Barbers, mercs and Indians from this area, so we're planning on a small group cleanup when we can all be there at the same time.

I hit the spot for a few hours on Saturday before it got too hot. I swept the coil nice and slow and really paid attention to get a feeling for exactly what was in the ground.

In two hours I pulled 9 quarters, 3 nickels and a 1958 Roosevelt. It's not a huge amount of finds, but it works for me. I'm so impressed with the separation with the F75....I love it. The small coil will really shine at this place.

I used the 1266 for years and still think it's a great machine, but the tone ID, great target separation and VDI sure make it fun again.

Thanks again for all replies!
Mike
August 19, 2009 08:52PM
Yes,,,,, and it's much more enjoyable if there are a few buddies together....and each person is sanatizing a 5'x5' area.