Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help finding old topo maps

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Help finding old topo maps
August 15, 2009 04:46AM
I know some people are able to get to the old topo maps to find old places to hunt. I live in Northern California and found a site that has San Francisco Bay Area topo maps, but I need maps further north of the SF Bay Area.

Can anyone point me to exactly where to view old topo maps ? I do know the name of the quadrant I want to see, and would like to see maps as far back as the 1880's and as recent as 1925'ish.

Feel free to PM me, or post here if you can help.

Mucho gracias!
Brian
qwk
Re: Help finding old topo maps
August 15, 2009 05:25PM
[sanborn.umi.com]

username:proquest

password: welcome
August 16, 2009 06:56AM
Hi qwk,

Thanks, I have been using the Sanborn maps for a while. Their great for inner city sites, but they leave you hanging on those suburban and beyond sites.

Thanks,
Brian
qwk
August 18, 2009 10:43PM
Yeah I know. Other than going to your local county records office, I don't think you could get anything else similar to the sanborn city maps. I haven't found anything.
August 19, 2009 08:08AM
I'm going to visit the historical map room at the county museum to see if I can find what I'm looking for, and also see if I can locate some old swimming holes to hunt too smiling smiley

hh,
Brian
August 27, 2009 03:42AM
I came just across this distributor of historic topo maps: Novacell. I think you will be up to your ears in old topo maps here. I also have a few of the old topo maps of N. Calif. I have found some interesting leads for coin shooting with early 1900's maps. Hope this helps. Lance in Santa Rosa, CA
August 28, 2009 06:25AM
Lance thanks for the lead, if the museum doesn't pan out, I'll check them out. If I can find this old fairground I may have a shot at an unhunted site as so far nobody I've spoken to up there that's into history seems to know much if anything about it.

The Santa Rosa area should have some great hunting sites. I used to live there, but many years before I started detecting, but it's a great area.

Thanks,
Brian