Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Troy Shadow x-5!

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Troy Shadow x-5!
February 11, 2013 09:53PM
I got a Troy shadow X-5 off the bay took it out to a old wooded picnic grove where the the coins that are left are deep. I know that under the leaves the ground in this area useally only freezes the first couple inches. I wasn't expecting much as got skunked last time with my E-trac and Tom tuned CZ-3D. Anyways I got a smooth repeatable signal,I broke through the first couple inches and then dug down 10''and I found a Indian head penny! I couldn't beleive my other two missed this! These Troy Shadow X-5's are depth monsters!
Re: Troy Shadow x-5!
February 12, 2013 12:24AM
Harlod, listen close the the X5. There is a lot of information it how they sound. I was able to call most targets prior to digging. Coins just have a crisp sweet sound.

tom in SC
February 12, 2013 12:37AM
always liked the looks of them now is the fisher chassy built ones?
February 12, 2013 01:20PM
Harold, I too am impressed with the depth of the X3-X5 Troys. I got my X3 last fall and I used it for about 25 hours so I am not what you call an expert. I always start out with any detector digging just about everything that the coin check either eliminates or gets a clean signal. Tom hit it directly on the head with how the deep signals sound and how they pinpoint. The audio on these 8 inch plus coins have a different tone than a 8 inch deep tab or aluminum slaw. I like the pinpoint much better on the two Troys I have had compared to the HOT Tesoros I have used. With the 7 inch coil, I have found some extremely deep coins, some of the deepest I have ever found with that small of a coil. I bought a brand new 9 inch coil directly from Troy with some Christmas money and I got to use it when we had a break in the weather. I found a silver war nickel that was in the 8 inch deep range and then I found one of my deepest nickels ever. It was an early buffalo that was as deep as my Pro Pointer is long. A very clear, but faint signal. I remember watching one of Keith's videos of a Troy air testing a nickel at 17 inches. My X3 is definitely hot on nickels. I am always trading detectors, but I think the Troy is going to stay with me for at least this detecting season. Keep us informed on how you are doing with the X5.
February 12, 2013 07:37PM
Thanks, I also got a 7'' coil along with the stock 9'' in the deal,But haven't broke it out yet. I must admit before I took it out I was considering selling it because the single tone wasn't as high as my CZ-3D. Boy I'm glad I didn't it is a lot sweeter sounding in the feild where it counts. Another thing I noticed is in the fixed ground balance position you can adjust the modulated audio with the threshold control. I love modulated audio and adjustable is a plus. If he would some how find a way to put tone I.D. on this detector it would be the perfect machine!
February 12, 2013 09:44PM
When the chief design engineer is an avid hunter himself............. it heavily reflects upon the design platform (and intent) of the unit.
When folks complain that the unit does not have a meter............does not have tone ID........... does not have this//does not have that................. there may be a reason!