Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

4.5 x 7 on the etrac

Posted by agaucufe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
4.5 x 7 on the etrac
February 12, 2013 12:56PM
Just got the 4.5 x 7 excelerator for my etrac. Does anyone have any input on the performance I can expect? Will it offer better performance around the iron? Thanks in advance.

Pete
Re: 4.5 x 7 on the etrac
February 12, 2013 02:03PM
Pete I use it 90% of the time on my Quattro and love it in iron and it's goes fairly deep for it's size!
February 12, 2013 02:33PM
I just switched from a Sunray X-5 to this coil. The Sunray was pretty good but Kieth here did some testing and found it better. Then I did a hunt with someone using a much better machine in iron and saw that I was missing some on edge stuff with the Sunray as well. I've used it (the 4.5 x 7) several days now so I'm no expert. First hunt was a bit disappointing but that was my fault I think. It didn't seem to be running very deep at the site I was on. Next hunt though was much better and it favorably impressed me. The difference was I cranked the sens all the way up and that was where it really started to shine. Ran into a few targets even as deep as 8" or so and got them no problem. Seemed to do well in around the iron rich areas of some demo'd houses and I dug several deeper on edge coins. Count me as a happy user now.
February 12, 2013 07:00PM
It is the best coil for working iron on the explorer platfrom....

it tightens up everything and hears smaller stuff than you are used to....

it is deeper than the X5 coil also..

Great coil not sure it's made anymore though..

can get them used for about 100.00 sometime's less..I saw one go on ebay fro 40.00 bucks like new...

Keith
February 12, 2013 07:46PM
You should get excellent target separation.

If you compare audio signals between different size coils on the same target, with practice, you will start to hear the difference between the 4.5”x7, the 8”, and the Procoil. You will get a sharper, narrower, higher pitched signal with the small coil. It can aid in discriminating targets by ear. It seems the smaller the coil, the sharper the signal. The 18”x15” coil gives the lowest, dullest tone for a target, but has excellent coverage and depth. The Minelab 8” coil has a slightly sharper signal than the Procoil, but the 4.5”x7” has a distinctly sharper signal that the Procoil.

Learning to listen closely to the different targets in a high trash area can aid in determining what to dig.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
February 12, 2013 07:56PM
They are still being made it's just demand is exceeding supply. Just bought mine new from a shipment that had just come in country. While the signals are sharp the Ultimate 13 will rival it for sharp sounds just no where near the seperation of course but tons of depth!
February 13, 2013 12:26AM
Thanks a bunch for the info folks! Good to hear from those in the know. THAT is what I love about this forum.
February 13, 2013 04:26AM
Anyone know how it compares to the 8x6 sef?
Corey
February 13, 2013 09:07AM
docbars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know how it compares to the 8x6 sef?
> Corey

The 8X6 is not really a small coil. I ran mine quite a bit on the E-Trac for better seperation than the stock, which it gets, but it is nothing like a 4.5X7 or 5" coil. I have seen others post much the same.
I have run smaller coils on other machines (not the E-Trac) but can say the 6X8 coil is not really a small coil, sort of an in between imo.

Albert
February 13, 2013 05:34PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> docbars Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone know how it compares to the 8x6 sef?
> > Corey
>
> The 8X6 is not really a small coil. I ran mine
> quite a bit on the E-Trac for better seperation
> than the stock, which it gets, but it is nothing
> like a 4.5X7 or 5" coil. I have seen others post
> much the same.
> I have run smaller coils on other machines (not
> the E-Trac) but can say the 6X8 coil is not really
Thanks Albert. I'am in the search for a smaller coil for the E. 4.5x7" or 5". Just now starting to really look at them.
> a small coil, sort of an in between imo.
>
> Albert