Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro tejon depth

Posted by AMCJAVELIN 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro tejon depth
February 18, 2013 03:00AM
I've got a friend of mine thinking of possibly getting one and was wondering about depth, his main reason is for the adjustable VCO needs a lower toned machine to hear the signal
Re: Tesoro tejon depth
February 18, 2013 03:56AM
I answered you in the other thread Brandon....

hopefully other's will chime in...

It's more a relic machine than coin machine.....

Keith
February 18, 2013 02:30PM
Certainly one of Tesoro's deepest units but many say a Vacquero will go deeper...Have heard there are varied reports with some really deep ones as seems they are not all created equal. The one I had was a solid 9 inch unit and certainly not comparable to a CZ's depth....Others may report deeper ones as understand depth varies on this particuliar unit...Have to agree with Keith and more of a relic unit in most areas....
February 18, 2013 03:14PM
Some have said that the chip in the Cibola is slightly different than the one in the Vaquero ....and if you mod a Cibola with a GB pot that is more precise than the one on the Vaquero ( more turns ) , that i's a deeper machine .....Again , I have no proof of this , so take it with a grain of salt ....Jim
February 18, 2013 04:49PM
Hey Jim....

I was the one that started that about the Cibola...LOL!!

Yes the chips are slightly different in the cibola...

I came up with the Ground balance Mod and found out the cibola came alive with a 10 turn installed....Not sure why the factory did not add a 10 turn to the vaquero and tejon.....

One of the things I noticed on the tejon /Vaquero/Modded Cibola battle was the Vaquero was the hottest on round objects like coins...the Cibola would alwasy find Weird shaped Objects like toe taps suspender clips and stuff a bit easier.....

But a Hot tejon is as deep or deeper as the V or C but has more gain...More sparky,,,, the gain on the tejon is pumped way up....it loves small brass in iron very well...

I have done the mod to about 25 Cibolas over the years and the people I have done them for have alwasy gave positve reviews to the Mod....

I like HOT tejon's out of all the Tesors ever made for pure Power it like's coins and relics equally. ...but a Modded Cibola is a close second for relics...A Vaquero for coin's....

I think the difference in the chips in the machines is in the Iron range in the bottom end seems wider on the Cibola and also the way the ground bal once it is set has a broader range to stay in balance without getting out of balance compared to the Vaquero...

If you can afford it the tejon is the Hottest Tesoro ever made....Get a brand new one ...You will be pleased with the outcome for a analog High gain High Freq machine its fairly deep and deadly in iron once properly learned...

Some people have problems with them in certain mineral...I dont in Red Clay...Deep objects on a tejon or any Tesoro is ear trained art more or less...they are ticky sounds and the ticks can sound like rejected nails till you learn the nuance language...I think thats were some dismiss them as not really deep...

proper headphones and a right sweep speed on the deepies are a must to get the deepies...for awhile they will sound like poppy spitty nail signals but once you figure out the nuance of the poppy spitty signal it will talk to you...You will tell a real signal form a legitimate false...It take's a few hours in the field...
Keith
February 18, 2013 06:04PM
So much depends on the particuliar earphone and ones particuliar hearing. Many of us just hear more audio variances whether it be a God given audio talent or years of detecting and experimenting. In any case one does not learn any particuliar unit overnight and days or weeks might be more apllicable but again some of us just catch on quicker or for that matter some just hear high or low audio frequencies better....
February 18, 2013 06:20PM
Keith ,
Thanks for the info ....It's good to hear from someone who has experience with the various Tesoro's ..... There was someone on one of the forums a while back whom I defended for his thoughts on the Cibola bettering the Vaquero ..... It was not you , but I do remember you being in the forefront of mods for the Tesoro .... Just like my issue with the AT Pro , there was a lynch mob waiting for this guy and his thoughts on the Cibola !!...LOL !!.....You know how that one goes huh ? ...... Sometimes you have to stand alone when you know you're right !!......

I've never run a Tejon , but have always heard that it was too hot to handle .....This is the type of machine that I would enjoy using .....I would rather have a machine that had too MUCH power than not enough power .....I've always wondered what it would be like to have an AT Pro with more power .....I agree with a lot of your conclusions on this machine ....It really is a nice running machine , but at times I have wished for more power .... Never have I had to drop the power down on the AT Pro to run it anywhere accept in Saltwater , and even then I just changed my GB to the lower numbers .... ..... It was always a mild mannered machine .... I like the fast recovery , and the immediate responce of the Tesoro's ....I also like te fact that you have to use your ears and your brain and NOT rely on numbers that will deture you more than encourage you to dig targets ...... This is why the GOLD is gonna be a nice machine for me ..... Nuances , not numbers !!..... THanks again for the informative write up on the various Tesoro machines ......I appreciate it ....Jim

BTW ...Running a ML Sovereign for so many years has gotten me very much use to LISTENNING to the machine , rather than LOOKING at the numbers ......Learning what your detector is saying is key !!.....JIm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 06:23PM by synthnut.
February 18, 2013 06:50PM
Keith,

What headphones did you use with the Tejon? Also, curious as to why buy a new one, is there that much difference between new and old?
February 18, 2013 07:15PM
I like the Koss type phones like the K/W pros style...or TD 81's.....Killer bs arent bad but the koss will allow for the smoother ticks to be understood...

The newer ones and this is not proven but the ones built since the outlaw came out seem to allow for more top ens sens in the boost zone while remaining quite...

and this allows for more signal to be heard instead of noise....not sure if they are using a new parts supplier or not but out of a half dozen the 2 I have had since the outlaw release have been hotter in the top end...

Jsut my take...

call the factory and they will say nothing has changed...But I am not the only one to notice this...I have notced it talked about here and there...

Keith
February 18, 2013 10:09PM
I have had some hot vaquero's in the past and still one of my favorite machines along with a fisher 1270 and 6 years ago i had a tejon it was ok but i had a hard time learnning at the time and sold it but loves brass i was finding old lamp mantle brass at 12 to 13" and old horse shoes, but i'm pretty well committed to my deep techs
February 18, 2013 11:33PM
I have owned the Tejon and Vaquero and for coin hunting I liked the Vaquero just a Hair more. But as Keith said for Pure raw depth the Tejon was a little hotter ,But not as smooth. I currently own a Troy Shadow X-5 , And in my ground it blows them both away! Not even close as some say the Tejon is close,But maybe it is my ground or I had not as hot Tejon as some or I have a Hot Shadow?
February 19, 2013 12:10AM
I have owned several tesoros since 1993, some models multiple times. Some of the same units are hotter and have more depth then others. A guy a couple of towns over has a vaquero that is the deepest I have ever seen. The vaquero I got a couple of years ago brand new did not come close to his units depth. A tejon I ran for awhile was not as good as the one I had a few years earler. The cortez and deleon I can't comment on since I have only ever owned one of those each. The only two detectors I have seen the same performance out of was the conquistador, which I owned 3 at differentperiods in time and 4 eldorados. The models all seemed to perform the same as eachother. I have wondered if it is a coil that makes certain ones better....but I have never pursued verifying it.
February 19, 2013 02:50PM
Be careful....Tesoro is one of the best for service after the sale, first owner or not....
PS: Tesoro will not mod a unit or will they work on a unit that has been modded so if you do mod ...make sure it can be remodded back to normal lest you have lost Tesoro's excellent service...
February 19, 2013 03:17PM
I think in the early going with the Tejon, a lot was rushed into production. I remember when they first came out, several of my hunting buds and I had them...and all were different. Some were cosmetically horrible compared to others...with wide gaps between the control box and rod, bad battery packs and weak door hinges. My uncle had one that you had to keep a rubberband over the battery doors to keep them closed. Performance wise...there were huge variations between them too. I had two at the same time that were easily 2" difference between them on button size relics in air test and inground on the same settings. I reckon their quality control has got better and more precise now...this is another reason why it may be a good idea to go with a new unit vs a used one.

Of all the Tesoro machines I've used....the Bandido II uMax was my favorite. I dug more relics with it than any other Tesoro I've owned. At times I wish I had that thing back. Had been tempted to get the Outlaw since it seems similar but haven't.
February 19, 2013 11:08PM
Thats one thing about the tesoros..Sometimes you get a hot one sometimes you get a cold one...

Every X5 I ever had or used was always the same depth wise.....they had different versions but the depth when tested was never night and day like some tesoro's...

Not sure why the tesoros experience this..

.some are weak alot are about the same then every so often a screamer !!!.....

The newer offerings do seem to be tightened up more on the tejons especially...

Keith
February 20, 2013 01:08PM
Keith which detector do you like better the Tejon or th AT-Pro on relics?
February 20, 2013 11:26PM
They both have strong point's....

the Tejon has a wider coil selection and can be deeper with the bigger coil's....they tejon likes to hit on small brass in iron real well...the At pro has an I.D. that works in iron the best I have seen numeric wise....The AT also handles mineral real well with see though ability...

Both would be the best option...If only one can be had then the AT-PRO, the Tejon is a more specialized machine but will prodcue behind the AT in iron....but it takes awhile to get proficient enough to do this...

The AT is a better modern hunter also if the relics are intermingled with trash...

The Tejon is better suited for deep woods old habitat site's...

Keith
February 20, 2013 11:51PM
Thanks for your input Keith I have had both and it just seems the AT-Pro handles iron and soil conditions better to me. My AT-Pro usually Auto ground balances out at 80-87 in my areas I hunt, I remember reading somewhere that I can adjust the ground balance to get better depth but I can't remember what it said to do raise it or lower it manually. Do you know anything bout that? Thanks Morgan
February 21, 2013 12:06AM
My dirt is about 88 on a AT

I like to run it about 65...let a little of the ground noise in as low grunt's and the dirt see through will be a bit better...you will find some of the deepies will be high toning under the low tone if that makes sense..

what is happening is you are allowing the ground mineral to be seen not be blanked...think of it as a thresh for disc mode as a simple explanation...when you are set for normal in bad dirt the ground does not low tone at you its not strong enough to break the audio...yet lower the disc enough to allow the ground to report and you will also allow thing's to report at depth that would normally be nulled....

thats what's unique about some machine's we now have..like the At-PRO and even the GMP and the Vista's...you allow the AUDIO report to stay open signalling all miral and otherwise and the stuff thats usually blanked out at depth will start to ROLL into the audio report's...

When the audio gate is open so to speak you are not culling nothing eveything flows in and the slightest highs can be heard...

Lower G.B.s allow this to happen on the AT-PRO....When you have bad dirt...Go too low though and you will over saturate the target's with to much biased ground report....

Keith
February 22, 2013 01:56AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dirt is about 88 on a AT
>
> I like to run it about 65...let a little of the
> ground noise in as low grunt's and the dirt see
> through will be a bit better...you will find some
> of the deepies will be high toning under the low
> tone if that makes sense..
>
> what is happening is you are allowing the ground
> mineral to be seen not be blanked...think of it as
> a thresh for disc mode as a simple
> explanation...when you are set for normal in bad
> dirt the ground does not low tone at you its not
> strong enough to break the audio...yet lower the
> disc enough to allow the ground to report and you
> will also allow thing's to report at depth that
> would normally be nulled....
>
>
> thats what's unique about some machine's we now
> have..like the At-PRO and even the GMP and the
> Vista's...you allow the AUDIO report to stay open
> signalling all miral and otherwise and the stuff
> thats usually blanked out at depth will start to
> ROLL into the audio report's...
>
> When the audio gate is open so to speak you are
> not culling nothing eveything flows in and the
> slightest highs can be heard...
>
> Lower G.B.s allow this to happen on the
> AT-PRO....When you have bad dirt...Go too low
> though and you will over saturate the target's
> with to much biased ground report....
>
> Keith

Very informative post Keith. Thank you for sharing your wealth of information.

Jerry